The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I think some of us need to calm down. Yes it’s a disgrace at how far we’ve fallen but if we take today’s game in isolation what more can Sheerin do? He’s set us up in a way that we’ve hit the bar twice, hit the post, missed a sitter from yards out with Ruth, potential penalty (or 2) and also scored two goals. He can’t go on the pitch and score for the players. IMO that’s the best we’ve played against Montrose since being in this league. We’ve certainly not created that many good chances against them in one match than we did yesterday. 

Playing two men up front is a must for god's sake. None of our strikers can play on their own. Not playing hetherington would be another good option.  Mackay is completely stinking and shouldn't be anywhere near the side.  We should be pumping sides like Montrose with our budget and set up. Scraping a draw is nowhere near good enough . Sheerins clueless .

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

These folk are the reason we are in this mess. Putting up with any old shite that gets stuck on the park on a Saturday.  Poneying up there dough for season tickets every time Gary deans tells them it will be different this year. We'll never get anywhere aslong as fans are happy with this dross.

What absolute bollocks. I’m not saying I’m happy with this season s performance but I think we need to give people time to find their feet. 8 league games and you want change?

i can assure you I’m no happy clapper as you insinuate but more realistic and balanced. We are where we are and this is not down to Sheerin. He needs time to find his best team and system. when has this guy had a chance to field a full team without injuries suspensions etc. 

5 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

What absolute bollocks. I’m not saying I’m happy with this season s performance but I think we need to give people time to find their feet. 8 league games and you want change?

i can assure you I’m no happy clapper as you insinuate but more realistic and balanced. We are where we are and this is not down to Sheerin. He needs time to find his best team and system. when has this guy had a chance to field a full team without injuries suspensions etc. 

We've lost as many games already this quarter that we should be losing in a season in this league FFS.  We got the same pish last season with m and m. Give them time it's too early. Yeah that worked out well.  He keeps picking the wrong players and playing the wrong feckin tactics without learning anything. It ain't going to work I'm afraid.

29 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Absolutely baffling that the ‘fickle’ tag is getting leveled at our fans.

I am sorry but scraping a draw away to Montrose and not winning in five games is not acceptable. If that makes me fickle then so be it.

I accept we’ve not won in the last 4 league games. So apart from the Alloa game where we deserved nothing. Can you honestly say we deserved 0 points from Queens Park and Dumbarton and only 1 point from today?

i think we should be happy that we found a bit of fight to come back to score 2 late goals to stop the rot and save another defeat. From a game we should have won we managed to salvage a point. I think scraping a point is an exaggeration. On another day the game would have been out of sight

4 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

I accept we’ve not won in the last 4 league games. So apart from the Alloa game where we deserved nothing. Can you honestly say we deserved 0 points from Queens Park and Dumbarton and only 1 point from today?

i think we should be happy that we found a bit of fight to come back to score 2 late goals to stop the rot and save another defeat. From a game we should have won we managed to salvage a point. I think scraping a point is an exaggeration. On another day the game would have been out of sight

We can’t score. I don’t think we’ll be out of sight on any other day because…we canny score. Or defend.

4 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

What is “etc” in the context you are using it? Did Dumbarton (who I believe fielded six or seven new players when they beat us) need time to find their best team.

Quit with the “knicker wetters” chat. Amazing how those people have been right time and time again. I feel for Sheerin, I really do, but the guy is so stubborn. I don’t think he can see the wood for the trees.
I just hope his post match chat was just a brain melt, but there’s stubbornness and then there’s abject stupidity. Any manager saying he didn’t like playing two up front and being more direct when it has resulted in two late goals and rescued a point and maybe his career has real issues. He would have preferred plodding along “gaining territory by passing the ball”. Fine for U16 football, but not league football. I really think Sheerin will stand by his single track way of doing things regardless of the consequences.

It will be the end of him as a first team coach.

5 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

There is no league table for “deserved”. What is this thing about “we’d have lots more points if the opposition scored less and we scored more”? Does it provide some sort of cosy blanket?
You keep talking about “other days”. There is no “other day” for yesterday. When you are two goals down with 10 or so minutes to play, we scraped a point. An exaggeration is to offer up fantasy scenarios of taking points from games we have lost.

2 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

What else do you call scoring in the 90 oddth minute to salvage a draw? Our defence is a feckin disgrace and aslong as that continues we'll continually struggle to get anywhere.  Why find a bit of fight when we're two goals down? I want to see that fight from the first minute to the bloody last. I want to see us steamrolling teams like we should be at this level.  Against  queen's park we had one shot on target in 90 mins. How them are you going to win a game when the opposition has scored?? Dumbarton we were a shambles at the back and never created anything of note till late in the game. We got what we deserved Nothing.  The side we have now is far poorer than the one we had our first season down so why the feck should it now be acceptable when our situation them certainly wasn't although we'd lost less games and we're only 3 points off the top when the manager was emptied.

57 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

The knicker-wetters are out in full force tonight, I could fully understand this if we were well beaten over the last few games. Alloa apart we should have won the games against QP, Dumbarton and again today. I think what’s happened here is that in many fans eyes Sheerin has just turned to shit overnight and cannot do much right with him being stubborn, loyal to ‘his’ players or ridiculed. I agree to a point there have been some strange decisions but very little concessions given in respect of injuries, new players settling or now interviews being targeted by the very ones on here 6 weeks ago saying how refreshing it was to hear a manager give an open and honest opinion of a game win or lose. The fans seem to have turned their backs on him very quickly - the guy has only had 8 games in the league FFS and some of the abuse posted on here tonight is unwarranted and while I’m on the subject some of the actions from some fans today was extremely embarrassing. We need to make our minds up who is to blame here - is it the manager or DOF? The lines are blurred. 
As a support we are sometimes all sugar or all shite - there is no in between. All it takes sometimes is a wee bit of belief and as McDaid said in his interview this may be the result that kick starts our season - when was the last time we came back from 2 down and rescue a point from a game? That tells me the players have not chucked it like some of the fans on here! 
We are undoubtedly a fickle bunch at times. Win our next 4 games against East Fife home, Airdrie home, Peterhead and Clyde away  and we won’t be that far away from top of the league -it’s big ask given injuries etc but not impossible. 
The club has been riddled and in chaos with uncertainty since Houston departed. Who knows what this season will bring? It may well be we don’t win the league or go up in the play offs but IMO we cannot sack everyone when things don’t go as we expect, maybe the management team may need a wee bit longer and a  wee bit more encouragement. 

Knicker wetters? You can get yersel in the fucking sea. 

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I think we had  hoped that Martindale would've been an important contact in Holt's list that he could've called on but it's pretty obvious that ain't the case . I'd have no qualms with us having a player on loan training with us and livi. Christ big Crawford baptize never saw the rest of the team till a Saturday and was superb. If the boys good enough you do whatever is necessary to get them in. At the end of the day though if we can't pay more of his wages than bloomin Arbroath then we're never going to get a decent player in.

Yeah I don't think that'd ever play out though. Not even Hopkin gets preferential treatment with loans etc. Holt jumped before he was pushed with us and had lost the dressing room, so not as if he left on the greatest of terms - just before it went sour publicly. 

If you'd be getting a great player in then I wouldn't have an issue with it at Livi either but it depends on the manager's confidence in a player. At least with the wages issue it was Morton and not Arbroath out paying you.

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 hours ago, bejazz1 said:

That’s football though. We didn’t deserve the win at Airdrie either(sure the same ‘fight’ label was lauded then too) so can’t just pick and choose when it suits. Other teams will also have had injuries/suspensions too. 

What I do agree on is that some of the abuse is uncalled for although I can understand the anger. Calling people knicker wetters doesn’t help either particularly when we’ve watched this movie several times before! 

I am prepared to give Sheerin more time and do have huge sympathy for him. I don’t think he’s had enough support from above when really the structure is supposed to be there to take a lot of the pressure off him with regards to recruitment. 

I would say the same for the new players. Ruth certainly deserves more time as do a lot of the rest. I do think guys like Ross and Wilson are not good enough but I don’t see the point in abusing them. 

Ultimately all eyes and criticism should be on the board. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

3 hours ago, bejazz1 said:

What does “deserve” have to do with anything? If you lost, then you lost, there’s no “deserve”. 

Not sure how else one would describe a 90th minute equaliser other than scraping a draw tbh.

I didn't want Sheerin in the first place but in his post-match interview the poor man looked haunted and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I can only guess that he didn't do his due diligence prior to interviewing and accepting the post, otherwise he would have known in advance the intense pressure and scrutiny that the position would bring. Or that Gary Holt is an arsehole and that our esteemed Sporting Director would give him f*ck all support.

I think the club will give him the two home games against East Fife and Airdrie to put things right and if we don't get 6 points out of 6 then they will show him the door, for the sake of the club and, IMHO, for the sake of his mental health.

That is if he doesn't quit himself before then.

Guest Back Post Misses

I feel for Sheerin. He is getting that haunted look of M&M where he looks confused and his mind is scrambled. 
He came in with a way he wanted to play and now as the results have taken a turn the same strange interviews have started just like M&M. 
It was well know Holt was interfering last season. Is he again? 

Edited by Back Post Misses

45 minutes ago, Sainteepip said:

What a shambles of a football club. I’m quite enjoying a club supported by such arrogant fans fall to bits in the diddy leagues. 

Our thousands of season ticket holders, and tens of thousands of lapsed supporters deserve better.

Seems you lads are going through the Thistle syndrome. Falling into a slow decline with the occasional upwards surge. Seriously it is sad to see a club of Falkirk 's history go like this. I thought Sheerin was a decent appointment for you. Is it a case of he hasn't got much to work with? Hopefully you can turn it around and battle us again next season in the Championship ( which we should just about hang onto).

12 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Sacking the manager as you said solves nothing. If anything it just reinforces our reputation as a hire and fire outfit. 

New manager will want new players which means shifting the players we have compounding the problem.

Little wonder we dont attract quality.

We don't attract quality because we don't pay for quality. It's that simple. 

We can afford to pay far far more than we do for a small group of decent players. 

Instead we go for the scattergun approach of bringing in 7 shit players for peanuts rather than 3 good players for a decent wage. And I mean decent..not 10K a week . We can easily afford to pay 3/4 players £1000 a week with our crowds and income.

If anyone disputes that think back to how much we've shelled out I payoffs to get rid of the cheap shit regret buys in the past 4 years.

Seems you lads are going through the Thistle syndrome. Falling into a slow decline with the occasional upwards surge. Seriously it is sad to see a club of Falkirk 's history go like this. I thought Sheerin was a decent appointment for you. Is it a case of he hasn't got much to work with? Hopefully you can turn it around and battle us again next season in the Championship ( which we should just about hang onto).

Sheerin is sticking to a particular style of football that I don't think we have the quality to play unfortunately. He needs to show very quickly that he can adapt to what he's seeing on the park every week or he won't be long for the job.

We do appear to have a much worse squad than you would imagine our budget could attract and signing Jaime Wilson(after a trial!) aside, I don't think Sheerin can be blamed for that. We have had poor luck with injuries but our beloved Sporting Director should have ensured that we were much better prepared for that.