The Falkirk FC Thread

I didn't buy a season ticket and have been keeping my mouth shut the last few weeks. I could go on a massive expletive, rant but to be honest, the club isn't worth it, so I'll try and be calm. One look at the Facebook page and you can't help but feel we deserve to be where we are. 1 point out of 12 in League One and you have people posting about 'getting behind the boys' and 'great comeback' - they'd be saying exactly the same if we were in a League 2 relegation play-off. They'll pitch up; buy season tickets, and merchandise, regardless of what goes on on the pitch. To me, they are enablers. 

The board, including Deans and Holt, should have been hunted at the end of last season - they were saved the mutiny of the fans by virtue of none being in the stadium at the time. Can't imagine they'd have still been there had there been fans at Partick and Airdrie. I was wholly, wholly, unconvinced by Sheerin's appointment, and remain so. That result today papers over so many cracks. We will win next week, due to East Fife being gantin, rather than us being any great shakes. Nothing will change, and the cycle will continue. I just can't be arsed anymore.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

18 minutes ago, printer said:

Hetherington is a terrific player, as he proved for several years at Alloa, including the last four where he was a key player in our promotion and then three years in the Championship, when he was even more effective, with his offensive pressing, all action style and ability to play a bit too. 

Difficult for me to argue with how well he is doing at Falkirk as I haven't seen him play (apart from our 2-0 win, when he looked a bit subdued in a stricter holding role, although I thought he did OK that day). 

Sounds like the problem may be that  he's being shackled a bit by the formation of the team/his role. Although I'm certain he isn't nearly as bad as 'dugmeat'.

He is utterly honking.  His passing is frankly unacceptable for a pro footballer especially one who is in a position where looking after the ball is their number one role. He loses the ball so often it's no real and then commits silly fouls to get it back which results in bookings and even a red card. I'd drive him back over the clacks bridge tomorrow. To make matters worse we have a boy who is a different level entirely  from him although I suppose that ain't saying much but sheerin won't play him.

Your 'his all action style ' line though has at least put a smile back on my face. Hilarious stuff.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

37 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

Do they actually have control though? How many shares do they have and what % is that? 

Yes, they have absolute control. Their 26% ensures the 75% required to change the constitution can never be met. So why does 26% still control everything when there’s still another 74% out there? Because they are held by wee shareholders like me and some others with lots than me, but crucially, the three things that allow to preside over this shambles is a Chairman who should not be anywhere near FFC, the fact that the Rawlins are the senior shareholders on the Board of Directors (an insult for that collective to consider themselves to be the Board of anything more than a playgroup.

The killer though is SA and MR who have between them enough shares to topple the lot of them, but decided for whatever reason, to never move against the Board………even when it’s the bunch of utter incompetents that we have now.

Most galling of all is after getting shot of the Andy and Lex (the chuckle brothers), Deans has managed to hand pick a Board that is even more incompetent. Clearly, he has picked people that remind him of himself.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He is utterly honking.  His passing is frankly unacceptable for a pro footballer especially one who is in a position where looking after the ball is their number one role. He loses the ball so often it's no real and then commits silly fouls to get it back which results in bookings and even a red card. I'd drive him back over the clacks bridge tomorrow. Too make matters worse we have a boy who is a different level entirely  from him although I suppose that ain't saying much but sheerin won't play him.

Hetherington is older, and Sheerin like to play the older boys. The youngsters are much too young.

19 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

Whilst I also feel like it would be deserved to empty him if it pans out like that, I’m genuinely not sure that it would be a productive move. We are a basket case, and run a ‘thorough’ recruitment process just months ago. Nothing different would happen this timE except maybe into 4th or 5th choice - f**k that!

I doubt there's a Falkirk fan alive who isn't aware that our club is rotten to its very core and needs completely gutted from the top down to ever come close to fulfilling its potential. That doesn't, however absolve the Head Coach from his responsibility for what is being served up on the park, which is a million miles away from being good enough. I didn't mind the appointment of Sheerin, there were no obvious or outstanding candidates about, but he's not the answer. You can bet that our esteemed Sporting Director and Gary and his gang of little boardroom mates will already be circling the wagons to ensure they are well insulated from the fallout as another shambles of a season begins to unfold.  And to that end, they'll have zero compunction about chucking Sheerin overboard if this run continues any longer.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Yes, they have absolute control. Their 26% ensures the 75% required to change the constitution can never be met. So why does 26% still control everything when there’s still another 74% out there? Because they are held by wee shareholders like me and some others with lots than me, but crucially, the three things that allow to preside over this shambles is a Chairman who should not be anywhere near FFC, the fact that the Rawlins are the senior shareholders on the Board of Directors (an insult for that collective to consider themselves to be the Board of anything more than a playgroup.

The killer though is SA and MR who have between them enough shares to topple the lot of them, but decided for whatever reason, to never move against the Board………even when it’s the bunch of utter incompetents that we have now.

Most galling of all is after getting shot of the Andy and Lex (the chuckle brothers), Deans has managed to hand pick a Board that is even more incompetent. Clearly, he has picked people that remind him of himself.

All the above ....I’m just re-posting to emphasise what a clusterf**k our Board is.

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

Stevie Hetherington is Burton O’Brien but somehow worse.

Minging.

More Kevin McBride if you ask me.  A midfielder that's utterly shite at anything. Bob was a decent player who was never used properly and who wouldn't have been given quite as hard a time if it hadn't been for his exorbitant wages.

Can’t keep giving teams two goal leads. Suppose it’s a positive we’re actually creating very good chances but annoying as f**k that we keep missing them. 
I don’t think sacking Sheerin is the answer or continuing to sack managers at all is the answer but something needs to change. Too many of our fans have accepted mediocracy and we need to do something before the club becomes unrecoverable.  

11 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Can’t keep giving teams two goal leads. Suppose it’s a positive we’re actually creating very good chances but annoying as f**k that we keep missing them. 
I don’t think sacking Sheerin is the answer or continuing to sack managers at all is the answer but something needs to change. Too many of our fans have accepted mediocracy and we need to do something before the club becomes unrecoverable.  

I just can't see how we are going to head in the right direction with sheerin at the helm . I agree that simply sacking him will make little difference but he's just way out his depth to be managing us.

is there anyone on here that thinks Holt should be at the club, or Dean's come to that? they must have some neck to stay in a role where they are massively underperforming and not wanted by any of the customers. 

Deans has resided over one of the most calamitous falls in a club I can remember. 

56 minutes ago, JinkyBairn said:

Nah he’s utter pish. Just cause he stood out at an Alloa side that got sent packing to league 1 means absolutely f**k all I’m afraid.

Not sure if you've deliberately missed the point here, or if you are just a bit thick (you are certainly among "friends" on this thread if the latter. He stood out at Alloa when we got promoted to the Championship and also for two years in that league. So he's proved he is effective at levels above where the current Falkirk team are. He's not your problem.

Edited by printer

55 minutes ago, printer said:

Hetherington is a terrific player, as he proved for several years at Alloa, including the last four where he was a key player in our promotion and then three years in the Championship, when he was even more effective, with his offensive pressing, all action style and ability to play a bit too. 

Difficult for me to argue with how well he is doing at Falkirk as I haven't seen him play (apart from our 2-0 win, when he looked a bit subdued in a stricter holding role, although I thought he did OK that day). 

Sounds like the problem may be that  he's being shackled a bit by the formation of the team/his role. Although I'm certain he isn't nearly as bad as 'dugmeat'.

I wasn’t at Montrose today, but season so far Hetherington has been rank. Last week he received numerous passes from the defence whilst in acres of space, his awareness of how much space and time he had was nil and he simply passed back to the defence. That’s called passing the buck. He is certainly not Captain material, and has done nothing to merit a game.

We need to stop kidding ourselves we are a top flight club in the wrong division. We’re where we are because of terrible boards, terrible management and continually signing too many players not fit for purpose. I’d go as far to say the current board and Holt are a bunch of non entities. The Rawlins just want us as some kind of toy to say their still involved with a football club. Deans and his board have absolutely no spark, and from what I’ve gathered re the NB investment being knocked back, shows their self interest. 

I’d like to say today’s late equaliser might be our “Dundee moment” and kick start a run, but sadly I doubt it

I've a feeling that last minute goal saved him.

1. Too slow.  Insisting on the passing game. Making Perry triangles is fine but but goes nowhere. The slowness allows the opposition to organise.

2. Forward passes go to a player with his back to goal and a defender up his back.  Should be passing into space, keeping the opposition moving.

3. Lack of mobility. A static player is easy to mark.  More movement into space needed.

4. Single 'Striker' does not work for us.  Sheerins comments that he wants to see goals come from all areas off the park, and the fact that our combined strike force have scored one league goal, indicates he wants to play a false 9. That's fine but, other than Nesbitt, there is no contribution from the midfield.  Out with Morrison, our top scorer is Dixon!

5. It was noticeable that we began to get into more attacking positions and came back from behind when Two went up top.  One up top is bread and butter for two centre halves.  Going one in one with them asks questions.

6. We were promised attacking football.  Two holding midfielders is not attacking football.  Krasniqi playing as the single holding midfielder is what we needs.  He can break up the play and do the simple pass.  With him sitting in front of the two centre backs, he drops in to form a three when we are defending and steps forward when attacking.  Like Fernandinho at Man City, not comparing Krasniqi to him but you get the idea.

7. The single, and capabke, holding midfielder allows Telfer to move further foward. Before the meltdown last seas on he was one if our most effective attacking options from deep.  It allows the full backs to become proper wing backs.  Krasniqi sitting allows Dixon and McKay to cover the full back areas when they drive forward.

8. Learn how to counter the deep lying opposing midfield and defence. If they are sitting deep, drop back into your own half and force them to come forward. Then go over the top into space behind. It's long ball football but it works when a team wants to play 10 behind the ball and let you pass yourselves to death.

9. Mutch. You can kick the ball long from hand.  A pass to your full back does retain possession but it allows the opposition to get back and reorganize.  Try a bit of variety.

10. STOP the constant back Passing. Yes, you retain possession but it goes nowhere.  Try gambling more with forward passes.  Yes you will lose possession more but possession does not win games.  Getting in the box breeds goals.  Drive forward, lose possession and then press to get it back further up the field.  Passing it across the back four is rubbish to watch and does not win games.

Bit of a rant but it's honestly getting boring to watch and each week of this makes the garden centre seem more appealing

37 minutes ago, printer said:

Not sure if you've deliberately missed the point here, or if you are just a bit thick (you are certainly among "friends" on this thread if the latter. He stood out at Alloa when we got promoted to the Championship and also for two years in that league. So he's proved he is effective at levels above where the current Falkirk team are. He's not your problem.

I wouldn't blame Hetherington or argue the fact the guy is a decent player. Falkirk recently have history in taking players who have done well at other clubs and making them shit. We also have form for punting shit players who go on and do a turn at other clubs. It's one of footballs great mysteries.

2 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

I've a feeling that last minute goal saved him.

1. Too slow.  Insisting on the passing game. Making Perry triangles is fine but but goes nowhere. The slowness allows the opposition to organise.

2. Forward passes go to a player with his back to goal and a defender up his back.  Should be passing into space, keeping the opposition moving.

3. Lack of mobility. A static player is easy to mark.  More movement into space needed.

4. Single 'Striker' does not work for us.  Sheerins comments that he wants to see goals come from all areas off the park, and the fact that our combined strike force have scored one league goal, indicates he wants to play a false 9. That's fine but, other than Nesbitt, there is no contribution from the midfield.  Out with Morrison, our top scorer is Dixon!

5. It was noticeable that we began to get into more attacking positions and came back from behind when Two went up top.  One up top is bread and butter for two centre halves.  Going one in one with them asks questions.

6. We were promised attacking football.  Two holding midfielders is not attacking football.  Krasniqi playing as the single holding midfielder is what we needs.  He can break up the play and do the simple pass.  With him sitting in front of the two centre backs, he drops in to form a three when we are defending and steps forward when attacking.  Like Fernandinho at Man City, not comparing Krasniqi to him but you get the idea.

7. The single, and capabke, holding midfielder allows Telfer to move further foward. Before the meltdown last seas on he was one if our most effective attacking options from deep.  It allows the full backs to become proper wing backs.  Krasniqi sitting allows Dixon and McKay to cover the full back areas when they drive forward.

8. Learn how to counter the deep lying opposing midfield and defence. If they are sitting deep, drop back into your own half and force them to come forward. Then go over the top into space behind. It's long ball football but it works when a team wants to play 10 behind the ball and let you pass yourselves to death.

9. Mutch. You can kick the ball long from hand.  A pass to your full back does retain possession but it allows the opposition to get back and reorganize.  Try a bit of variety.

10. STOP the constant back Passing. Yes, you retain possession but it goes nowhere.  Try gambling more with forward passes.  Yes you will lose possession more but possession does not win games.  Getting in the box breeds goals.  Drive forward, lose possession and then press to get it back further up the field.  Passing it across the back four is rubbish to watch and does not win games.

Bit of a rant but it's honestly getting boring to watch and each week of this makes the garden centre seem more appealing

🙌👍