The Falkirk FC Thread

12 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

James Keatings to Montrose. Not sure what his fitness is like at the moment but on paper he's better than any of our striking options. 

Nah he was just a slightly better Bob McHugh

11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

We are trying to win games and Sheerin telling them its ok as long as we keep passing the ball about is allowing cop outs all over the park.

The majority of our good passing is in our own half usually 6 v 3 or less ....ps we have the 6, it's a faster pace than the yogi years but like then it has the same rewards of winning on corners or throw ins. 

I think it's ok if you have a philosophy, formation and a way to play, the successful managers do but they also vary it, does Sheerin ?

He seems to be rigid and has favourite players this early on, which is great if it's going swimmingly.

I offer him saving grace to some of our signings as I don't believe he had influence to sign a lot of our players in the summer with only Ruth and Ross for me two who were 100% his

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 hours ago, MrDust said:

Nah he was just a slightly better Bob McHugh

The majority of our good passing is in our own half usually 6 v 3 or less ....ps we have the 6, it's a faster pace than the yogi years but like then it has the same rewards of winning on corners or throw ins. 

I think it's ok if you have a philosophy, formation and a way to play, the successful managers do but they also vary it, does Sheerin ?

He seems to be rigid and has favourite players this early on, which is great if it's going swimmingly.

I offer him saving grace to some of our signings as I don't believe he had influence to sign a lot of our players in the summer with only Ruth and Ross for me two who were 100% his

Would count Jaime Wilson as his too. It is hard to know who’s signings are who though. Gary Holts claim of having 3 targets for each position may have been true but as we were never going to be privileged to see the list then we have no idea of whether they were any good or achievable. Wilson may have been the best of a bad bunch. Still didn’t mean we should have signed him though. 

That’s one thing I worry about Sheerin though is that he was chosen because he will toe the party line. I remember in his first Falkirk TV interview that he seemed keen to mention the term ‘sleeping giant’ a couple of times and then that also became the headline in his interview with the Falkirk Herald. Found it odd at the time but turns out that’s the name of the Rawlins company so feel he might be getting played from the back a little by our masters of PR.

Think the sleeping giant has unfortunately slipped in to a coma though. 

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

‘Twas I, but you expanded on it rather well. This is not  “no consequences” football, and while Sheerin hardly needs to be told that, I think he is having serious issues in moving on from what he knows into managing/coaching a real life league side.

Nothing wrong in a passing game as long as it has an end result. For that style of play to work you require movement and players comfortable in whatever position they find themselves on the park.

We just do not have the players to do that.

6 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Would count Jaime Wilson as his too. It is hard to know who’s signings are who though. Gary Holts claim of having 3 targets for each position may have been true but as we were never going to be privileged to see the list then we have no idea of whether they were any good or achievable. Wilson may have been the best of a bad bunch. Still didn’t mean we should have signed him though. 

That’s one thing I worry about Sheerin though is that he was chosen because he will toe the party line. I remember in his first Falkirk TV interview that he seemed keen to mention the term ‘sleeping giant’ a couple of times and then that also became the headline in his interview with the Falkirk Herald. Found it odd at the time but turns out that’s the name of the Rawlins company so feel he might be getting played from the back a little by our masters of PR.

Think the sleeping giant has unfortunately slipped in to a coma though. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Grainger is interim head coach by Christmas tbh. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Are we now suggesting we should ditch the passing game and resort back to hoofing it up the park? 

As good news re Morrison as could be expected I think.  Hopefully December means the start of Dec and not by 31st.  

No ! not at all. Have always been in favour of the passing game in particular the 'Pass and Move Style'

We require an end product as what we have at present is passing the ball about if front of the opposition who are happy to sit back and watch the pointlessness of it.

Teams got to make runs into space for a pass, one two's, wall passes into the the last 3rd and get a shot on goal.

That ain't happening.

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Are we now suggesting we should ditch the passing game and resort back to hoofing it up the park? 

As good news re Morrison as could be expected I think.  Hopefully December means the start of Dec and not by 31st.  

I don't think anyone is suggesting we ditch a passing game but as we seen with Yogi the passing is pretty on the eye but having 100+ passes in your own half = the square root of fuk all

There is nothing wrong with mixing it up at times, see Kevin James v celtic and the rewards. We are simply on a hiding to nothing with two sitting mids as we were under Elvis.

On 22/09/2021 at 16:53, Shadwell Dog said:

Losing nearly 800k two seasons on the trot if you don't factor in the 500k govt loan must be a bit of a worry.

This was accounts for 19/20 so we reduced our losses from 800k to 300k before the £500k grant and the sale of Daniel MacKay. We will also get more cash for Ryan Christie leaving Celtic and merchandise sales have increased too.

I may be wrong but I believe all Championship clubs got the £500k grant after they returned their 19/20 accounts.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

This was accounts for 19/20 so we reduced our losses from 800k to 300k before the £500k grant and the sale of Daniel MacKay. We will also get more cash for Ryan Christie leaving Celtic and merchandise sales have increased too.

I may be wrong but I believe all Championship clubs got the £500k grant after they returned their 19/20 accounts.

It was but its extraordinarily late to be producing accounts for the year to May 2020. Those should have been lodged at Companies House by end of Feb 21 in normal circumstances and even with a Covid extension by end of May. It's now September! Still good progress for ICT which is before all those income sources you mention. That said, it's still a £300k loss and it's a bit like saying it's better to lose 3-2 than 7-0. It is but you still lose.

I'm sure Inverness will show a profit for 20/21 but it will be interesting to see how much. The Christie sale won't show until 21/22. MacKay probably won't either as the actual sale will have been in June. The £500k will have been eaten into with testing and playing games with no crowds.