The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Anyone else get really annoyed seeing League One getting called Division 3 on this thread?

And no I wont, it's an open forum, before anyone starts.

I prefer it to be honest. League One sounds like it could be the top league in the country. Same for the Championship. 

Division 3 / third tier is accurate at least. 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You need width to break these sides down instead of constantly trying to go through a seriously congested middle of the park.  Ompreon in the short while he was on caused them problems simply by getting the ball beating his man and sticking a cross in.  Mcguffie on the other side never beat a man all day. He got the ball stopped and passed it back over and over again.  Mcdaid didn't do enough of that either. He kept coming inside instead of taking a defender who had already been booked and struggled to contain ompreon on . It was only when Williamson came on that anyone started to do that on our right again.  McCann did it a few times on the left  but otherwise he was giving it to mcguffie who was doing sweet fa with it .

Teams have worked out after our good start how to stop Falkirk and the last few results prove it.

Sheerin requires to change our style and mix things up now and again however he does not have the players to do it.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That's certainly the last time we had a team this poor.

IIRC Falkirk were absolutely bombing in the league in season 1973/74 when they came to Boghead on January 2nd and proceeded to leather us 5-1.  It didn't do much good as they finished bottom and were relegated with 22 points from 34 games (2 points per win days), recording only one home and three away wins.  I don't think you are currently anywhere near being that dismal but everything is relative, including finance, the club set-up and expectations. 

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

IIRC Falkirk were absolutely bombing in the league in season 1973/74 when they came to Boghead on January 2nd and proceeded to leather us 5-1.  It didn't do much good as they finished bottom and were relegated with 22 points from 34 games (2 points per win days), recording only one home and three away wins.  I don't think you are currently anywhere near being that dismal but everything is relative, including finance, the club set-up and expectations. 

It was all downhill after season 74/75 until we eventually escaped the basement in 79/80.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He played in our first friendly on the 22nd of June and has been with us since. Must have been a right early bounce game Falkirk had.

He was on trial with us for a wee while and was desperate to sign. We were looking for him to be part of our under 18s development side at first although I'm sure he would've been moved up along with the others that were. Club pissed him about and he couldn't hold on any longer so he moved on and signed for your boys.

12 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He played in our first friendly on the 22nd of June and has been with us since. Must have been a right early bounce game Falkirk had.

11 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

There were no Falkirk friendlies before that date. The players reported back for individual testing on the 17th, met up for the first time on the 18th and played their first friendly a week later on the 26th. 

Did the development team have games around that time?

Guest Caractacus Potts
45 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He was on trial with us for a wee while and was desperate to sign. We were looking for him to be part of our under 18s development side at first although I'm sure he would've been moved up along with the others that were. Club pissed him about and he couldn't hold on any longer so he moved on and signed for your boys.

Sheerin himself also seemed to criticise the length of time it took for him to get offered a contract. Many examples of the boards incompetence but only takes a few bad results before anyone cares to notice. 

53 minutes ago, brokeville said:

Interesting to see Gretna 2008 have Clarke Epos as shirt sponsor.

Tam scobbie running in treacle there.🤣🤣

Alex Harris finally found his level at last and what does Colin Cameron look like. That shirt collar of his looks like it's never been washed in long enough.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

48 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Did the development team have games around that time?

Development teams as in the current U16s and U18s? Probably not. Because they didn't exist yet.  

FFC made the first signings for those teams a month later, on Friday 16th July. Ten players and their parents were given a welcome to the club talk by Ian Fergus, Gary Holt and Gary Deans. It was the usual induction stuff - what the future holds and what the expectations were. Then they trooped up to the boardroom, signed the contracts and were video'd / photographed. 

I saw training session afterwards in which signed and unsigned players were being put through their paces. It's quite possible that the selection process for the unsigned players also included bounce games against each other, or maybe boys clubs, but I don't know. 

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

It was all downhill after season 74/75 until we eventually escaped the basement in 79/80.

It was a torrid time. The clock started ticking when they sacked Willie Cunningham.

Geez ! the most stupid board decision made by a Falkirk Board of Directors.

Alex Ferguson was recommended by Cunningham to succeed him. Young players about to break through (Beckett & Young were stars in Fergusons St Mirren team) and we blew - did we blow it.

We were ahead of Jim McLean's Dundee United in mapping out a future and we threw it all away.

Was a case of what might have been.

Still bitter about it after 40 years 

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 hours ago, brokeville said:

Interesting to see Gretna 2008 have Clarke Epos as shirt sponsor.

That guy seems desperate to get his claws on a team. God knows how that company operate too as they’re only a year old, not filed a set of accounts yet but throwing money left right and centre at football teams, Go Radio and other sports teams. All that and they still have no working website(been saying coming soon for months now). Something very dodgy about it. 

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Call it the 3rd tier or something,  It's not been called Division 3 since the 70s.

Division 3 carries a bit of a stigma in that it doesn’t sound the sort of place that a competent Board of a full time club would want to hang around for more than a season.

L1 sounds like the sort of place that a Board awash with hand picked incompetents would see as not too bad. It lets you act like Billy Big Baws, and there’s next to no media scrutiny to lay bare just how hopeless you really are.

Some Hibs fans just can't get over the fact old houstie had them in his pocket for a couple of seasons. Sad really 

I doubt Hibs fans are all that fussed about a team that are, checks notes, SEVENTH in League One.

You guys are just funny to laugh at is all.

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I doubt Hibs fans are all that fussed about a team that are, checks notes, SEVENTH in League One.

You guys are just funny to laugh at is all.

You'd think that but then again you'd be surprised how very very long any football fan can hold a real or imagined grudge! There are a number of teams from the feeder leagues right to the top league who I want to get pumped every week for real and imagined slights against Falkirk or Scottish football in general (some grudges are 30 to 40 years old) there's also some teams that never get under your skin at all for some unknown reason.

50 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

You'd think that but then again you'd be surprised how very very long any football fan can hold a real or imagined grudge! There are a number of teams from the feeder leagues right to the top league who I want to get pumped every week for real and imagined slights against Falkirk or Scottish football in general (some grudges are 30 to 40 years old) there's also some teams that never get under your skin at all for some unknown reason.

Very good post.

I know exactly what you mean.

I can be a warped bugger at times and certain clubs will always annoy me for various reasons.

I’ll always hold a grudge against Hearts and Dundee United for "luring away" Jefferies and McCall respectively. Not true, of course, they left of their own volition, but that doesn't change the perception in my mind.

I’ll always believe that the Forfar chairman voted to keep us down so that he could collect on the Navy Blue Pound. Of course it isn’t the case, but in my mind that will always be what I think.

I’ll always despise Scumfermline simply because they are soap fearing, incestuous, six fingered mutants.

I now wish all sorts of ills onto Ross County for letting MalKKKy back into Scottish football.

And there's a special place in Hell for the two Arse Cheeks for the blight that they bring onto Scottish society.