The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

He's only played 45 minutes for you :lol:

I love you Shadwell. 

Exactly so why should he be a stitched on starter who must play in the side? Surely he should have to prove that first. I'm not saying he wont but at the moment I'm not going to say he must play.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I get where you are coming from but with that formation, you are bending to accomodate a so-far distincly average LWB and basically leaving McDaid and Morrison either on the bench or out of position at best. The team should be accomodating those two, plus Aidan Nesbit. Everyone else should be scrapping for the remains. 

Don’t disagree with you about Nesbitt and Morrison and hope you are right about McDaid.

I’d also make a case for Dixon being included in any first 11 to.

11 minutes ago, Rocco said:

That’s because teams are happy to let us keep the ball and sit deep like Dumbarton and Clyde did. Changing to a 442 will not change that. Sheerin needs to find a style that will help us break teams down

You need width to break these sides down instead of constantly trying to go through a seriously congested middle of the park.  Ompreon in the short while he was on caused them problems simply by getting the ball beating his man and sticking a cross in.  Mcguffie on the other side never beat a man all day. He got the ball stopped and passed it back over and over again.  Mcdaid didn't do enough of that either. He kept coming inside instead of taking a defender who had already been booked and struggled to contain ompreon on . It was only when Williamson came on that anyone started to do that on our right again.  McCann did it a few times on the left  but otherwise he was giving it to mcguffie who was doing sweet fa with it .

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You need width to break these sides down instead of constantly trying to go through a seriously congested middle of the park.  Ompreon in the short while he was on caused them problems simply by getting the ball beating his man and sticking a cross in.  Mcguffie on the other side never beat a man all day. He got the ball stopped and passed it back over and over again.  Mcdaid didn't do enough of that either. He kept coming inside instead of taking a defender who had already been booked and struggled to contain ompreon on . It was only when Williamson came on that anyone started to do that on our right again.  McCann did it a few times on the left  but otherwise he was giving it to mcguffie who was doing sweet fa with it .

A 4231 is supposed to give you the width. Like I’ve said, if that isn’t happening, then Sheerin needs to sort out why. 

I will say that getting wide and whipping in crosses is not going to help you beat these teams. I don’t think any of our attacking players would beat Buchanan and McGeever to a header

11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Don’t disagree with you about Nesbitt and Morrison and hope you are right about McDaid.

I’d also make a case for Dixon being included in any first 11 to.

Yeah I meant in the forward areas. Dixon and R. Williamson are both must-start in defence. 

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You can get width in the formation we play. Williamson will show it soon enough when he gets a run in the team, McCann needs to up his game, or Sheerin needs to act to get someone on the left side of the 3 behind the striker who can work with McCann so that at least one of them can hit the byline more regularly. McCann is part of the problem though and i'm not buying he can do it from RWB but not RB in a 4. 

Edited by Bairnardo

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I meant in the forward areas. Dixon and R. Williamson are both must-start in defence. 

You can get width in the formation we play. Williamson will show it soon enough when he gets a run in the team, McCann needs to up his game, or Sheerin needs to act to get someone on the left side of the 3 behind the striker who can work with McCann so that at least one of them can hit the byline more regularly. McCann is part of the problem though and i'm not buying he can do it from RWB but not RB in a 4. 

I agree it's the players that are preventing us having width. Ompreon gave us plenty down the right hand side in the first half  on Saturday. Mcguffie though doesn't have the pace or confidence to do the same on the left.  I think he stifles McCann somewhat and McCann would be better with noone in front of him rather than mcguffie.  Williamson will definitely provide more width but I just hope mcdaid or whoever is in front of him allows him to get forward .too.  Mcdaid as I said doesn't look like a conventional winger like Morrison. With Morrison out ompreon and Williamson look like your best bets to offer width on the right and McCann I still feel is currently your best option to beat a man on the left. 

And it's not just about sticking crosses in in the air either.  Wingers can stick the ball along the deck too whether it's near post or cut backs for the likes of nesbitt or telfer. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

15 hours ago, Rocco said:

When has Nesbitt played up front before?

Whenever we have went two up front, we’ve been chasing a game, which usually means the opposition will sit deeper to protect the lead so of course we’ll get more shots off. 

You’ve missed my point. Pushing Telfer into a crowded area isn’t going to give an extra person to aim for in the box. The problem is we’re trying to cross into a box filled with players where we need to be cutting teams open. 

Nesbitt has played off the striker throughout his career which is where I'd play him in a 4-4-2, a 3-5-2 we could fit him in the spear point of the 5

Its not all about Telfer getting forward, putting all your eggs into one basket is our main problem.

The box was no lesser crowded in the the last two games throughout, yet when we went two up chances fell for both our strikers. The tactics and formation of both Alloa and Dumbarton didn't change throughout, ours did.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McCann is very much the attacking fullback we were told he's just a lot worse at defending than we ever imagined. On Saturday he got up the wing on a number of occasions and stuck.ij some excellent crosses which Ruth managed to avoid being anywhere near. Problem is teams are targeting him as a defensive weakness and by doing so that also prevents him getting forward as much as he'd no doubt like. With miller as the other fullback they know they don't have much to worry about on that flank. I reckon with Williamson back it will at least give teams more to worry about.

Targeted like Gallacher was back in the day, hoof it right in the air.

26 minutes ago, Rocco said:

A 4231 is supposed to give you the width. Like I’ve said, if that isn’t happening, then Sheerin needs to sort out why. 

I will say that getting wide and whipping in crosses is not going to help you beat these teams. I don’t think any of our attacking players would beat Buchanan and McGeever to a header

Any width we get is giving us a cross into one player and unfortunately we don't have a striker who is decent enough to impose himself as a lone striker.

Width is key if teams are sitting in for me also crosses don't have to be high in the air.

The McCall 3-5-2 had width, goals from all over the park, this current formation will see the same players get the goals, by fuk we are in Div3 we should not be playing two sitting mids and one up top.

Morrison is going to be out for a while yet and our defence has been awful in recent weeks so it's not just to accommodate him.  Williamson is also a perfect wingback on the right hand side.  Mcdaid hasn't done anything yet apart from fail to bother his arse picking up Wilson for their second goal.  We need to stop leaking goals via long punts over the top. Stick lemon in as a sweeper and that should prevent that happening. You can revisit it again when Morrisons back but until then we need to win games.

Do we perhaps just need to realise that we have to make a choice between telfer and nesbitt instead of trying to fit them both into the side when they both favour the same position. We seem to have a plethora of players suited to the number 10 role.  I actually think mcguffie would suit that role better too but hes never going to play there in front of nesbitt.  I'm not convinced that mcdaid is a conventional winger either as he also didn't seem that keen on beating his man, getting to the bye line and swinging a cross in. We seem to have a lot of similar styled players which is a bit of a concern. Mcguffie in front of McCann just stops him getting forward and mcguffie has no interest in beating a man but constantly passes the ball back every time he gets it.

Exactly so why should he be a stitched on starter who must play in the side? Surely he should have to prove that first. I'm not saying he wont but at the moment I'm not going to say he must play.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I agree it's the players that are preventing us having width. Ompreon gave us plenty down the right hand side in the first half  on Saturday. Mcguffie though doesn't have the pace or confidence to do the same on the left.  I think he stifles McCann somewhat and McCann would be better with noone in front of him rather than mcguffie.  Williamson will definitely provide more width but I just hope mcdaid or whoever is in front of him allows him to get forward .too.  Mcdaid as I said doesn't look like a conventional winger like Morrison. With Morrison out ompreon and Williamson look like your best bets to offer width on the right and McCann I still feel is currently your best option to beat a man on the left. 

And it's not just about sticking crosses in in the air either.  Wingers can stick the ball along the deck too whether it's near post or cut backs for the likes of nesbitt or telfer. 

Right you, whoever you are, what the f**k have you done with Shadwell??

On 18/09/2021 at 18:59, BountyBairn said:

I’d totally agree on decision making. The lineups and subs have bash baffling last two weeks especially. Hetherington as captain being the biggest question I have.

We don’t know for sure how much say he had in Ompreon and Wilson. The sceptic in me says that both were sourced and somewhat forced on him. 

You could be right about Wilson as he has same player agent as Hetherington.

36 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Aye, another thing the formation we play needs is late runners into the box. Something Aidan Connolly had laterally become quite adept at. Looking for more of that from all of the midfielders and, lets face it, the full backs too. You're just never going to get it from the likes of Hetherington though. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Anyone else get really annoyed seeing League One getting called Division 3 on this thread?

And no I wont, it's an open forum, before anyone starts.

What annoys me more is people in the media who either continue to call the top league the SPL or instead now refer to it as the SPFL as if the other 3 leagues weren’t a part of it. 

Guest Ecosse83
1 hour ago, Rocco said:

4231 is not a fancy formation. It is a formation that is used at every level of football, including boys clubs. 

Very few teams will use a basic 442 anymore because it is out dated and far to easy to play against. 

You’ve been listening to a Paul Merson too much on sky sports! 

Shire were playing on the Friday night so as we obviously weren't playing on the Saturday I decided to pop along with my dad and his mate.

In theory, losing 3 games on the bounce in the 3rd tier (League 1) of Scottish football will be seen as a disappointment.  However, on Saturday I wasn't seeing a lot wrong with Falkirk.  They were playing end to end and creating chances but just couldn't put the ball in the net.

I think Sheerin will be under pressure as every Falkirk fan I know and even myself as a neutral (though I do wish my hometown team well) will expect 6 points from Monty then East Fife.  That's likely imo as all Falkirk need is discipline in front of goal.  It'd be far more worrying if there was no chances being created.

What Falkirk need too is a run in the Scottish Cup for the cash as that will help get back up.  With crowds back (assuming it stays that way) make sure you don't bugger up the 3rd round then hope for one of the OF away in the 4th round.  

6 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Shire were playing on the Friday night so as we obviously weren't playing on the Saturday I decided to pop along with my dad and his mate.

In theory, losing 3 games on the bounce in the 3rd tier (League 1) of Scottish football will be seen as a disappointment.  However, on Saturday I wasn't seeing a lot wrong with Falkirk.  They were playing end to end and creating chances but just couldn't put the ball in the net.

I think Sheerin will be under pressure as every Falkirk fan I know and even myself as a neutral (though I do wish my hometown team well) will expect 6 points from Monty then East Fife.  That's likely imo as all Falkirk need is discipline in front of goal.  It'd be far more worrying if there was no chances being created.

What Falkirk need too is a run in the Scottish Cup for the cash as that will help get back up.  With crowds back (assuming it stays that way) make sure you don't bugger up the 3rd round then hope for one of the OF away in the 4th round.  

It was weird seeing Fort William playing at The Falkirk Stadium.