The Falkirk FC Thread

13 hours ago, Rocco said:

When has Nesbitt played up front before?

Whenever we have went two up front, we’ve been chasing a game, which usually means the opposition will sit deeper to protect the lead so of course we’ll get more shots off. 

You’ve missed my point. Pushing Telfer into a crowded area isn’t going to give an extra person to aim for in the box. The problem is we’re trying to cross into a box filled with players where we need to be cutting teams open. 

Early in the second half McCann hit the byeline and put a great cross that went right along the Dumbarton six yard box and we didn't have a player anywhere near it.

12 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

With Morrison out, Nesbitt and Telfer are the only players who’re going to create anything (Mcdaid may offer something as well).

Mcguffie is bang average at best, Ompreon and Weekes raw at best and McCann hasn’t been anything like the attacking full back we were promised.

We therefore need those two where they’re most effective. Telfer can be a real creator and goal threat but he won’t do it from just in front of the centre halves.

McCann is very much the attacking fullback we were told he's just a lot worse at defending than we ever imagined. On Saturday he got up the wing on a number of occasions and stuck.ij some excellent crosses which Ruth managed to avoid being anywhere near. Problem is teams are targeting him as a defensive weakness and by doing so that also prevents him getting forward as much as he'd no doubt like. With miller as the other fullback they know they don't have much to worry about on that flank. I reckon with Williamson back it will at least give teams more to worry about.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Early in the second half McCann hit the byeline and put a great cross that went right along the Dumbarton six yard box and we didn't have a player anywhere near it.

If it`s the one I`m thinking of, Ruth was there and just failed to connect but there was nobody on the other side of the box for a tap in.

AV6K6874.JPG

27 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

If it`s the one I`m thinking of, Ruth was there and just failed to connect but there was nobody on the other side of the box for a tap in.

AV6K6874.JPG

Nice shot but unfortunately I can't take my eyes off how ugly those steps look in the background. Hope we get good money for them but sometimes wish they would keep things as they are or at least make them more in fitting. 

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McCann is very much the attacking fullback we were told he's just a lot worse at defending than we ever imagined. On Saturday he got up the wing on a number of occasions and stuck.ij some excellent crosses which Ruth managed to avoid being anywhere near. Problem is teams are targeting him as a defensive weakness and by doing so that also prevents him getting forward as much as he'd no doubt like. With miller as the other fullback they know they don't have much to worry about on that flank. I reckon with Williamson back it will at least give teams more to worry about.

Have to disagree here. He had that one, where I think the bit of skill to get past his man on the touchline was more luck than anything else, but other than that he is pish so far. Not ready to start launching abuse at him or anything, but if we could get another decent CH in, is put Dixon to LB in a heartbeat.  McCann is hesitant to get forward. He checks back almost 100% of the time, and even when he does, he doesn't give it and go to take the RB with him, he does it then just stands there. Hes looked really poor in the forward areas for me

So far I've seen every game except Alloa. I'm not wanting to be controversial but it's going to be that way unfortunately. I think we'll win this league, we are the best team in the league and just because a couple of excellent performances doesn't mean we're great a couple of bad results doesn't mean we're terrible. From what I've seen if we had a 20+ goalscorer we'd win the league by miles but we don't so it'll be tighter but we will win it.

*feel free to quote this back to me at the end of the season if we don't win the league as by that stage I couldn't feel any worse anyway 😂

1 minute ago, knee jerk reaction said:

So far I've seen every game except Alloa. I'm not wanting to be controversial but it's going to be that way unfortunately. I think we'll win this league, we are the best team in the league and just because a couple of excellent performances doesn't mean we're great a couple of bad results doesn't mean we're terrible. From what I've seen if we had a 20+ goalscorer we'd win the league by miles but we don't so it'll be tighter but we will win it.

*feel free to quote this back to me at the end of the season if we don't win the league as by that stage I couldn't feel any worse anyway 😂

It's hard work being this optimistic in life and a Falkirk fan at the same time!

5 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

We’ve lost as many as we’ve won so I have no idea why you would make that comment.

Guest Ecosse83

There is a lot more wrong at our club than just formations but f**k me I wish we would just play a simple 442 and get 2 up top. All these fancy formations just hasn’t worked for us at all at this level, the one up top always seems isolated to me! 

Although I do have to admit I’m seriously losing interest now, would rather go for a round of golf 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Have to disagree here. He had that one, where I think the bit of skill to get past his man on the touchline was more luck than anything else, but other than that he is pish so far. Not ready to start launching abuse at him or anything, but if we could get another decent CH in, is put Dixon to LB in a heartbeat.  McCann is hesitant to get forward. He checks back almost 100% of the time, and even when he does, he doesn't give it and go to take the RB with him, he does it then just stands there. Hes looked really poor in the forward areas for me

He looks like a left wing back to me far more than a left back.  I thought on Saturday he looked far more dangerous down the left wing than he has previously. Play 3 at the back and let him concentrate more on going forwards than defending and then we'll see if he's got it or not. If he's still crap then it's a problem as Dixon is too old to play left back now.  He's okay as cover but like miller you wouldn't want him playing there every week.

32 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

There is a lot more wrong at our club than just formations but f**k me I wish we would just play a simple 442 and get 2 up top. All these fancy formations just hasn’t worked for us at all at this level, the one up top always seems isolated to me! 

Although I do have to admit I’m seriously losing interest now, would rather go for a round of golf 🤦‍♂️

4231 is not a fancy formation. It is a formation that is used at every level of football, including boys clubs. 

Very few teams will use a basic 442 anymore because it is out dated and far to easy to play against. 

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

He looks like a left wing back to me far more than a left back.  I thought on Saturday he looked far more dangerous down the left wing than he has previously. Play 3 at the back and let him concentrate more on going forwards than defending and then we'll see if he's got it or not. If he's still crap then it's a problem as Dixon is too old to play left back now.  He's okay as cover but like miller you wouldn't want him playing there every week.

I get where you are coming from but with that formation, you are bending to accomodate a so-far distincly average LWB and basically leaving McDaid and Morrison either on the bench or out of position at best. The team should be accomodating those two, plus Aidan Nesbit. Everyone else should be scrapping for the remains. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I don’t disagree with this. I made a point earlier that it’s about getting players into attack crosses and spaces. What I was alluding to in the post you’ve quoted, is pushing Telfer further forward isn’t going to give us extra people attacking the ball, it will just crowd an already overcrowded area. What we do need to do is find a way to cut teams open so guys like Telfer can break into spaces and have a positive impact in the final third

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I get where you are coming from but with that formation, you are bending to accomodate a so-far distincly average LWB and basically leaving McDaid and Morrison either on the bench or out of position at best. The team should be accomodating those two, plus Aidan Nesbit. Everyone else should be scrapping for the remains. 

Morrison is going to be out for a while yet and our defence has been awful in recent weeks so it's not just to accommodate him.  Williamson is also a perfect wingback on the right hand side.  Mcdaid hasn't done anything yet apart from fail to bother his arse picking up Wilson for their second goal.  We need to stop leaking goals via long punts over the top. Stick lemon in as a sweeper and that should prevent that happening. You can revisit it again when Morrisons back but until then we need to win games.

10 minutes ago, Rocco said:

4231 is not a fancy formation. It is a formation that is used at every level of football, including boys clubs. 

Very few teams will use a basic 442 anymore because it is out dated and far to easy to play against. 

on basis of last few games we are easy to defend against full stop 

We need more tempo & urgency into our play & less passes across the field & back the way with Hetherington worst culprit 

13 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I don’t disagree with this. I made a point earlier that it’s about getting players into attack crosses and spaces. What I was alluding to in the post you’ve quoted, is pushing Telfer further forward isn’t going to give us extra people attacking the ball, it will just crowd an already overcrowded area. What we do need to do is find a way to cut teams open so guys like Telfer can break into spaces and have a positive impact in the final third

Do we perhaps just need to realise that we have to make a choice between telfer and nesbitt instead of trying to fit them both into the side when they both favour the same position. We seem to have a plethora of players suited to the number 10 role.  I actually think mcguffie would suit that role better too but hes never going to play there in front of nesbitt.  I'm not convinced that mcdaid is a conventional winger either as he also didn't seem that keen on beating his man, getting to the bye line and swinging a cross in. We seem to have a lot of similar styled players which is a bit of a concern. Mcguffie in front of McCann just stops him getting forward and mcguffie has no interest in beating a man but constantly passes the ball back every time he gets it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Just now, Kircer bairn said:

on basis of last few games we are easy to defend against full stop 

We need more tempo & urgency into our play & less passes across the field & back the way with Hetherington worst culprit 

That’s because teams are happy to let us keep the ball and sit deep like Dumbarton and Clyde did. Changing to a 442 will not change that. Sheerin needs to find a style that will help us break teams down