The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
5 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Throw Nesbitt up top with Keena and give him a free role in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or in a 3-5-2 could give home license to roam also.

The current formation ain't working, we shouldn't have two sitting mids in this league. 

I agree with this. Nesbitt is like a poor mans Latapy. Let him play the piano and others carry it 

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Throw Nesbitt up top with Keena and give him a free role in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or in a 3-5-2 could give home license to roam also.

The current formation ain't working, we shouldn't have two sitting mids in this league. 

Aye, that could work; fear I have with Nesbit though is that he tries to do too much on his own and he would maybe end up wandering back midfield again giving us the same 'not enough in the box' scenario.

2 hours ago, Top of Meeks Road said:

Those like me who are long enough in the tooth to remember the late 70s probably never thought it possible to see such times again. 

Three Scottish Cup Finals in the interim would've been unthinkable then too as barely 1, 500 attended Brockville. At some away matches little more than a bus load sometimes travelled. 

Fans are clearly not as militant nowadays as the terms games and fans have been replaced by experiences and customers. 

If it ever needed some collective movement to appear and try and save a sinking ship then that time is now. 

With the present incumbents at the helm, sadly we may have some miles to go yet before bottoming out. 

I remember the 70s..just. Don't think the football then, or even in the Dave Clarke era, was worse than this. 

32 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Especially when one is never a sitting mid and the other is just crap.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Our biggest issue yesterday was that despite dominating possession we didn’t do anything with it.

I’m not sure that having 3 centre halves not contributing in an attacking sense instead of 2 would fix that.

It would also mean Mcdaid who i think can be an asset in this league can’t play.

Fair point, but your first sentence stands. We play the same system, we'll get the same result.

14 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Our biggest issue yesterday was that despite dominating possession we didn’t do anything with it.

I’m not sure that having 3 centre halves not contributing in an attacking sense instead of 2 would fix that.

It would also mean Mcdaid who i think can be an asset in this league can’t play.

The one thing I noticed about McDaid is he likes to come infield a bit. That's no use if it's already congested, hopefully he's told stay wide and hug the touchline and don't deviate from it. 

22 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

3 Centre backs  may tighten up the leaky defence though, also no real need for a sitting midfielder  and with wingbacks providing the width and 3 midfielders we can have 2 forwards. 

42 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Explain how NB made a c**t of anything? 
Amazing 11 guys raise 550k (with more pledged) to try and help get the club out of a tailspin piloted by this regime and NB made a c**t of it. You could not make up some of the bullshit our fans trundle out. 

I’m sure we’ve been through this but we’ll do it again anyway. 
Mistake 1 - A fans bid that was a secret from the fans until it was rejected. Should’ve got the fans on board before taking it to the club, increasing the pressure and making it harder to reject. 
Mistake 2 - Demanding the removal of the chairman and sporting director before you’re in the door. What made you think that would ever be agreed? Surely you get in the club first then look to make changes from the inside. 
Mistake 3 - Expecting a businessman (Rawlins) who you campaigned to get in, to pony up more cash to maintain the same shareholding. Again, not sure why you thought that would be agreed and was another flaw in the bid.

I pledged to be part of the Back the Bairns bid and would like nothing more than the fans to oust some of the clowns running our club. Also I have nothing against you and the “11 amazing guys” but it’s not hard to see why your bid failed unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Didn't think we were as bad as we were against Alloa but we certainly weren't immeasurably better.

I've said all season that we don't have enough presence in the box and that we need to get someone in there to support Keena so, when I saw yesterday's line-up, I thought 'ah well, he's persisting with Ruth, but as least he's playing Sammy up beside him'. Nope, simply played Sammy in the Morrison role and left the wee laddie to try to out-muscle McGeever and Buchanan!

I don't know why football managers all seem to be such stubborn buggers but surely Sheerin's got to realise that his system isn't working and that he needs to play his best players? He's made Hetherington his captain and is reluctant to drop him because of this. Dixon is most suited to the captaincy IMO but I assume that he doesn't want it because he's surely been offered it at some point?

IMO he needs to change the system. I would play a 3-5-2 next week now that Williamson's back and because McCann's a much better WB than FB. (In both yesterday's game and at Alloa he sent in some delightful crosses to, well, nobody because there's never any c**t in the box to take them!)

If everyone's available (apart from Morrison obviously and assuming that we haven't signed a better striker) I'd go with:

Martin

McKay, Dixon, Lemon

Williamson, Nesbit, Krasniqi, Telfer, McCann

Ompreon, Keena

Millar, Hetherington, Ross, McGuffie, McDaid, Ruth, Mutch

I propose @Shadwell Dog as the Sporting Director and @ShaggerG as the Head Coach.

Will they ever get along?

Edited by Bairn in Exile

57 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I don’t agree about putting him upfront as it’s not his position. I’m also not quite sure how a 4411 would end up being any different to how we’re setting up just now. 

A 352 could work but as someone has said, we’ll lose any opportunity to play McDaid and you’ll still end up playing with at least one defensive midfielder. I’d be more inclined to try the 352 if we’re going for a new formation. 

The reason Telfer is sitting deeper is so he can dictate play. Having him sitting up with the other midfielders surrounded means he’ll have very little impact. What we do need to do is find a way to get him in the position further forward to play that killer pass or score a goal 

Theres no reason why, as part of a CB 3 Paul Dixon cant continue to step through the midfield occasionally as he has been doing. The remaining two might even negate the need for having Hetherington absolve himself of any responsibility going forward everytime Dixon crosses halfway

Back 5 takes care of itself, then give me Krasniqi and Telfer with Nesbitt pushed up behind Keena and Ruth.

Problem with this though, is it doesnt utilise McDaid who I believe should be a nailed on starter, so the 3 5 2 should be a no go on that basis.

Id prefer to go down to 1 holding, and two up front. Or a 4 1 4 1 with Nesbit given the freedom of that 4.

The general consensus appears to be that if we push more players forward, then we’ll get goals but please explain to me how that will work. I wasn’t at the game yesterday, but from what I hear, Dumbarton stifled us and got 10 men behind the ball every chance they had. Clyde did exactly the same, hence why we didn’t score till the 70th minute, so why would pushing Telfer forward into an already over crowded area be beneficial? 

38 minutes ago, Rocco said:

The general consensus appears to be that if we push more players forward, then we’ll get goals but please explain to me how that will work. I wasn’t at the game yesterday, but from what I hear, Dumbarton stifled us and got 10 men behind the ball every chance they had. Clyde did exactly the same, hence why we didn’t score till the 70th minute, so why would pushing Telfer forward into an already over crowded area be beneficial? 

I think there's a few you take out. I'd suggest Telfer would even be better than Mcguffie in his position, drop Hetherington and put Ernie in we don't need two sitting midfielders. Williamson in for Miller, play Keena up top with Ruth, there's a few options, most sadly are lost on Sheerin. 

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Because in a 3-5-2 we'll have Williamson and McCann hugging the touchlines instead of McGuffie (or Nesbit when he's supposed to be wide) drifting inside. With Krasniqi holding it'll just be Nesbit and Telfer behind the front two.

1 hour ago, candycelt said:

Obviously can’t watch much of L1 outside highlights - just wondering what’s happening at Falkirk this season? Knew you were a shambles behind the scenes recently but four defeats on the bounce is genuinely awful. Surely Falkirk canny spend a 4th year in L1

We won’t go up this year and if Kelty are promoted and Dunfermline/ Morton are relegated, we won’t next season either.

15 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I think there's a few you take out. I'd suggest Telfer would even be better than Mcguffie in his position, drop Hetherington and put Ernie in we don't need two sitting midfielders. Williamson in for Miller, play Keena up top with Ruth, there's a few options, most sadly are lost on Sheerin. 

But again you’re pushing another player forward into an already crowded area

15 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Because in a 3-5-2 we'll have Williamson and McCann hugging the touchlines instead of McGuffie (or Nesbit when he's supposed to be wide) drifting inside. With Krasniqi holding it'll just be Nesbit and Telfer behind the front two.

I’ll give you the 352 could work better. I was aiming my comment at people who were saying we only need 1 defensive midfielder and Telfer should sit further forward