The Falkirk FC Thread

Just watched Sheerin's interview again.

1) No anger, no fire in his belly, not nearly as upset as he should be. 

2) "How do we become better in the final third"? Duh? Sign decent strikers, not shite like Wilson and Ompreon!

3) He's confident in the group - alarm bells ringing, none of us here are "confident in the group".

4) "They're all tough, it's a tough league". Bollocks. It's a shit league and with our resources we should be scooshin' it.

His team selections really worry me, Keena is no world beater but he is miles ahead of the rest of our "strikers".

We need to hear from Deans and Swinney. All very good them bumping their gums when they have good news to deliver, they need to earn their corn and come out and take the flak when things aren't going so well. And a statement from Rawlins wouldn't go amiss either.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv just watched the highlights there and both goals are far worse defensively than I recalled at the time.

Far, far worse.

Watching them back and I’ve honestly no idea what they are trying to do. Look at that first goal Brad McKay has no reason to go over to get the header just let Dixon deal with it but he goes for it and gets nowhere near the ball. Then Dixon either use your head or go with your runner does neither tries to kick the ball misses and leaves Orsi through on goal then we’ve got Robbie Mutch doing his best Leo Fasan impression to let the ball go in.

Second goal is potentially even more comical. Gary Miller and Brad McKay like a couple of dicks wandering away and leaving Wilson free. You can see McDaid as well look up and see it but does f**k all either.

I’d be amazed if you will see another couple of goals defended so badly in the Cinch this season.

On 26/08/2021 at 07:50, JulioBairn said:

So far this is the best Falkirk team to watch in many year (yes it’s early days bla bla bla). Not sure why we’re still talking about some botched bid by a group called the Navy Blue that nobody knows anything about.

I never hear a peep about Alan Gow these days or anyone else who’s tried to invest. It’s almost as if people have their own agendas 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

How about now? Are you sure now why people still talk about Deans engineering the demise of the 500k bid? Who out of Deans and Holt and the association of yes men have since demonstrated competence in any meaningful way?

“Best Falkirk team to watch in many a year”. That was certainly a statement and a half.

Do you remember who brought in Alan Gow?

18 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Just watched Sheerin's interview again.

1) No anger, no fire in his belly, not nearly as upset as he should be. 

2) "How do we become better in the final third"? Duh? Sign decent strikers, not shite like Wilson and Ompreon!

3) He's confident in the group - alarm bells ringing, none of us here are "confident in the group".

4) "They're all tough, it's a tough league". Bollocks. It's a shit league and with our resources we should be scooshin' it.

His team selections really worry me, Keena is no world beater but he is miles ahead of the rest of our "strikers".

We need to hear from Deans and Swinney. All very good them bumping their gums when they have good news to deliver, they need to earn their corn and come out and take the flak when things aren't going so well. And a statement from Rawlins wouldn't go amiss either.

I can get where hw is coming from in that there was no way we were ever winning that Alloa game whereas yesterday at least there were openings and chances, but that said, he follows it up with grossly understating the reason why we didnt turn that into a win yesterday. His interpretation of how big the problems are at either end of the park doesnt seem to carry the same urgency as anyone else watching us being soft and inept at the back and soft and inept up top, this is because the players we have to do those jobs are inadequate. 

I dont think its going to get better. Certainly not at the back without a new body. Up front if Morrison, McDaid and Keena all started I think we see more cutting edge but Morrison could be out for a few weeks and Keena seems to be out of favour. 

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

It’s going to get worse because the teams that are being promoted to League 1 recently such as Cove, QP and Kelty next all have ambitions and designs on getting out the league via promotion and not just avoiding relegation.

I fear we are in this league for the foreseeable.

This is also why I am resigned to us being in this league for the foreseeable future. In the past teams like Falkirk who got relegated would bounce straight back up as there wasn't much in the leagues below - except for the odd Rangers, Gretna, Livingston scenario. Now almost every year there is a team with money trying to work their way up the leagues. It will soon filter its way into the Championship too where these sides might not win the league but they'll bump some bigger clubs into the relegation spots who will then go down, making League 1 even harder still.

Having said that, Falkirk should still have the resources, and the ability to attract players, to cope with the likes of QP, Cove etc.

8 hours ago, muppetshow said:

havent read todays thread in full so maybe missed this but, callum wilson who scored the winner for dumbarton today was on trial with us all summer, with a promise of a deal from holt after impressing, waited weeks for the phone call which never happened so he signed for dumbarton, young lads on buttons and put more into todays game than every single falkirk player 

I heard a similar story about Liam Dick, apparently deal was all agreed, Holt never got back to him so he signed for Raith. We then ended up with Leon McCann on a three year deal 🙈

28 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I heard a similar story about Liam Dick, apparently deal was all agreed, Holt never got back to him so he signed for Raith. We then ended up with Leon McCann on a three year deal 🙈

I'm not sure how Callum Wilson was on trial with you guys. He played every one of our friendlies and signed for us on July 8. 

I think someone has heard Wilson + Dumbarton (as in Jaime, not Callum) and got their wires crossed there.

Callum was released by Hibs at 16 and had been out of football for 16 months when he came to us on trial. I'd have been surprised if Falkirk were looking at him. Faz wasn't even planning on signing him, he just offered him the chance to train - but then realised quite quickly he was too good to let go.

Looking at our squad and players I can't help feeling we'd be far more suited to bringing in lemon and going 3 at the back . Williamson and McCann look more suited to being wingbacks than full backs.  McCann was good going forward yesterday but is very vulnerable defensively. 

Frustrating thing is we seem capable of playing some decent stuff up to the final third, a slight increase in playing budget to allow a proper striker and somebody solid at the back to play alongside Dixon and I think our best 11 would walk the league. As things stand we are going to struggle to kill teams off by getting goals and we are soft at the back so always capable of conceding. It’s going to be a long season unless we bring in some quality and not more sqaud fillers. The goalkeeper also continues to be an issue for us, everybody is allowed an odd mistake but over the last couple of seasons Mutch has been a fault for a number of goals, it’s definitely now time to give our new keeper a run of games IMO. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Well that was utter pish yesterday.  

I've been defending the team as I still think the criticism dished out on here after the QP game was unreasonable given performances up to that point but I've also always said my opinion on that might change if we don't bounce back quickly. 

I was even encouraged after the Alloa game that Sheerin seemed to be alert to the fact we were shit and I expected 4-5 changes yesterday.  

His interview after the game yesterday is very concerning.  Talk of "trusting the system" etc.  The "system" is exactly what needs ripped up.  As with M&M, McKinnon and Hartley before, I got a very strong sense from Sheerin that he has complete blind spots round things like his formation and certain individuals (e.g Hetherington, McGuffie, McCann, Miller).

Yesterday and his interview afterwards 100% confirmed that.  He's going to stick with 2 holding midfielders isn't he? 

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

A couple of other points:

- Criticism of Ruth is way over the top, he looked decent yesterday esp in first half where I thought he got into decent position, showed good close control and did well with his header off the bar.  Him and Keena as a front 2 would be where I'd go next week (dropping someone out of midfield and moving 4-4-2

- 'Staying away' is only prolonging the status quo. If enough folk genuinely want to force change it won't be done by hankering on a message board for a Q&A or moaning into an online echo chamber.  At the Very Least email the board and post replies here and on other social media.  Build a momentum and make voices heard.  Attend the games and protest.  These are the only ways to force change in this day and age. Even CC and ML didn't last long when the chants started.  

Personally I still believe we have the players to win this league fairly easily with the right formation and if are prepared to ditch the defensive nonsense and attack.  We can't afford to keep fannying about like we did yesterday and v Alloa though.  Sheerin needs to change things immediately.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Win this fairly easily with the players we have? 
Aye right you are Mr. Holt 

If told to go and play then yes.   Telfer, Dixon, Williamson, Krasniqi, Nesbitt, Morrison, Keena, Ruth, McCann, Lemon, McKay, Mutch, McDaid are all decent players at this level.  If you think these guys shouldn't be beating Dumbarton or winning games in this league then you're a clown.  

McGuffie, Hall, Miller, Hetherington, Wilson, Sammy (despite being better yesterday), Weekes and C Williamson on the other hand are dross. 

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Aye I’m not defending him at all because I think he’s fucking shite but that was Brad McKays first league game of the season. Fairly well is also a bit of a stretch.

Well im just talking bollocks. I thought McKay played against Alloa as well and I was at that game which is worrying....

As I said yesterday I wasn't at the game (still isolating) and was going entirely on what my wife and mates were saying and what I was reading online.

Watched the highlights and a decent striker or two would have won us that game. That's what's going to cost us this season. We have no-one who looks like they'll score more than 8-10 goals and you don't win leagues if your strikers don't score goals.

13 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Personally I still believe we have the players to win this league fairly easily with the right formation.

I know it’s just your opinion, but come on, we aren’t a tweek away from “fairly easily” winning anything. You were trying to laugh at BPM for not believing our squad were at the races. You were laughing at me for saying this team has no goals in it with the Clyde game being your proof positive we were fine on both counts.

The squad aren’t good enough, and there are no goals in the team. We have grown men playing like 16 year old schoolboys (Nesbitt excepted).

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

As I said yesterday I wasn't at the game (still isolating) and was going entirely on what my wife and mates were saying and what I was reading online.

Watched the highlights and a decent striker or two would have won us that game. That's what's going to cost us this season. We have no-one who looks like they'll score more than 8-10 goals and you don't win leagues if your strikers don't score goals.

Think if you look back at this Forum from the end of last season, through the summer until the start of this season there was loads of us posting that lack of a striker was a huge issue and this was where Holt should be focusing his attention. It was clear last season that we needed more goals in the team. Many on here stated that the type of striker we needed just wasn't available out there but to me that was bollocks, Holt is being paid to find these hidden gems and so far he hasn't done it.

Edited by Harry Kinnear

16 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

A couple of other points:

- Criticism of Ruth is way over the top, he looked decent yesterday esp in first half where I thought he got into decent position, showed good close control and did well with his header off the bar.  Him and Keena as a front 2 would be where I'd go next week (dropping someone out of midfield and moving 4-4-2

- 'Staying away' is only prolonging the status quo. If enough folk genuinely want to force change it won't be done by hankering on a message board for a Q&A or moaning into an online echo chamber.  At the Very Least email the board and post replies here and on other social media.  Build a momentum and make voices heard.  Attend the games and protest.  These are the only ways to force change in this day and age. Even CC and ML didn't last long when the chants started.  

Personally I still believe we have the players to win this league fairly easily with the right formation and if are prepared to ditch the defensive nonsense and attack.  We can't afford to keep fannying about like we did yesterday and v Alloa though.  Sheerin needs to change things immediately.  

Yes, I’m inclined to agree with your points here.

I, for one, will keep attending and contributing, until my expiry date. I enjoy it, even the mostly bad times.

Don't see the point of ranting on here but not attending. 
Someone back a bit was moaning about McKay and complaining about Hall being dropped. Maybe I’m getting old but all I’ve heard these last few weeks and months is how terrible Hall is.

Fans are fickle but, hey, that’s football.

Actually, I do think it’ll come right but when, who knows.

Was really impressed how articulate Telfer was in his interview. Not like the usual footballer.