The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

For David Holmes, I give you Gary Deans. For Jim Jefferies and his recruitment I give you Gary Holt. There ends any comparison any sane person should ever make with 1991. 

David Holmes stayed 1 year & gave us George Deans... how did that work out?  

The point I'm making is that its far too soon to be drawing conclusions on Sheerin and how this season will go.  Next few games are crucial.  

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Airdrie comfortably beating alloa tonight just sums up how bad we were on Saturday. 

Airdrie battered us at their place particularly in the second half when we were down to 10 men. It's no surprise they are beating Alloa, although the weightlifter has just pulled a goal back. 

Guest Back Post Misses
30 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

David Holmes stayed 1 year & gave us George Deans... how did that work out?  

The point I'm making is that its far too soon to be drawing conclusions on Sheerin and how this season will go.  Next few games are crucial.  

David Holmes did more for Falkirk in five minutes than Deans has in over 2 years. No the point you are making is bollocks. It is so far removed from 1991 it is a ridiculous point. 
I won’t judge Sheerin as he is working with a pool of players which is by and large a mix of last seasons dross and Holt’s early signings. He is on a hiding to nothing and will get all the flack coming from the supporters no doubt. 

27 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Airdrie battered us at their place particularly in the second half when we were down to 10 men. It's no surprise they are beating Alloa, although the weightlifter has just pulled a goal back. 

Up to hetherington getting sent off they never looked like scoring and I'm pretty confident we would've won comfortably if it had been 11 v 11. We made alloa look like a decent team on Saturday.

23 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Up to hetherington getting sent off they never looked like scoring and I'm pretty confident we would've won comfortably if it had been 11 v 11. We made alloa look like a decent team on Saturday.

We'll make Dumbarton look like Brazil if we turn out the same performance this Saturday. 

9 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

At the risk of getting a torrent for suggesting we shouldn't panic yet, can you imagine what reaction would have been like on here if a manager plucked from Berwick took 1 pt from 12 as happened at the start of the 1990/91 season?  Now clearly we're a league below where we were then but we shouldn't need a Stainrod to start picking up results in League 1.  

Sheerin may work out, he may not but its far too early to be chucking in the towel.  We were poor on Saturday which hasn't been the case in most of our other games.  Sheerin also seems to know it (much more than M&M or McKinnon ever admitted) so let's see whether we get a reaction on Saturday.  At the very least the team looks like it has a plan this year.  

I do agree a lot of weight now on Ruth & Keena to perform after the Wilson debacle and for guys like Williamson and Morrison to be back soon.  He also needs to realise that tactical changes are needed to bring Krasniqi in, push Telfer on, Nesbitt in the centre etc.  Start picking up wins and confidence should come back quickly.  

If we get into October and it becomes clear Saturday wasn't a blip then some of the panic will be justified.  

While I agree that it's much too early to make judgements & dismiss Sheerin, the Jeffries comparison must come with a caveat.

Jeffries had brought in some real quality players who had yet to click, where we are now with the current playing staff is not even in the same stratosphere. We can only hope they also click to be good enough to get us out of this league this season, although the amount of 2 year contracts are a worry.   

3 years for McKay and McCann, I'll give McKay benefit of the doubt he's been injured but has looked ok when he's played same goes for R Williamson, but McCann has been poor and I think needs dropped. He doesn't look like he's comfortable at all,  the 3 year deals were to convince them to sign obv, still no fucking excuse to give that twat Wilson a two year deal, and currently Ross, Mcguffie, Hetherington, aren't deserving of theirs either. 

5 points between 1st and 8th in the league after half a dozen games. Only QP are unbeaten so far and not one team has won more than half their games. Unlikely to remain as tight as that throughout the rest of the season, but does look like there will be no runaway winners and it’ll be who can just get enough points on the board.

For us to do that, it’s being more clinical when we get chances to score in games we are dominating (easier said than done), and being a lot better at the back in the games where we aren’t playing as well (only one clean sheet out of 6 so far).

This was similar last year to a certain extent. I think the majority on here had wanted us to look at an alternative management team EVEN if we went up, due to the style/lack of game-plan from M&M. We collapsed and Thistle, who looked terrible earlier last season, managed to put a run together and now find themselves 4th in the league above. We won’t get a perfect manager at League 1, or even if we were back in the top flight, but I am encouraged by what Sheerin is trying to do so far (low bar compared to previous managers perhaps) but he will need to learn from his mistakes quickly.

Not sure what he can do on the signing front until January now (maybe another loan?) But think most can agree there’s questions regarding DoF recruitment for him. It’ll be a test of Sheerin if he can somehow get a tune out of some of the dross that’s there.

Fans are rightly concerned, angry, upset that we are in this position/league for the third consecutive season and are worried about it being a 4th. It’s up to the club and this team to prevent that from happening. Will they be able to do that? I’m not as confident as I was (especially with injuries to Morrison etc) but once the first round of fixtures are played, we might be in a better position to tell.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

5 points between 1st and 8th in the league after half a dozen games. Only QP are unbeaten so far and not one team has won more than half their games. Unlikely to remain as tight as that throughout the rest of the season, but does look like there will be no runaway winners and it’ll be who can just get enough points on the board.

For us to do that, it’s being more clinical when we get chances to score in games we are dominating (easier said than done), and being a lot better at the back in the games where we aren’t playing as well (only one clean sheet out of 6 so far).

This was similar last year to a certain extent. I think the majority on here had wanted us to look at an alternative management team EVEN if we went up, due to the style/lack of game-plan from M&M. We collapsed and Thistle, who looked terrible earlier last season, managed to put a run together and now find themselves 4th in the league above. We won’t get a perfect manager at League 1, or even if we were back in the top flight, but I am encouraged by what Sheerin is trying to do so far (low bar compared to previous managers perhaps) but he will need to learn from his mistakes quickly.

Not sure what he can do on the signing front until January now (maybe another loan?) But think most can agree there’s questions regarding DoF recruitment for him. It’ll be a test of Sheerin if he can somehow get a tune out of some of the dross that’s there.

Fans are rightly concerned, angry, upset that we are in this position/league for the third consecutive season and are worried about it being a 4th. It’s up to the club and this team to prevent that from happening. Will they be able to do that? I’m not as confident as I was (especially with injuries to Morrison etc) but once the first round of fixtures are played, we might be in a better position to tell.

Can’t disagree with you on any of that bar you resurrecting the ghost of the last three seasons of “we need to get 9 games done before we can make any sort of sensible judgement” followed by “we need to get 18 games done before we can make any sort of sensible judgement”. That’s what hope plus promises of “jam tomorrow” has conditioned us into thinking.

I said at the start of the season that the first 6 games would tell us a lot. My opinion was that a FFC truly equipped and focused on getting out of this league with no more messing about should have a very achievable target of 14 points over those six games with 12 points as a minimum.

Anything less than 12 points would give cause for concern. I have cause for concern. Of the current top 5 clubs in the league, (excluding ourselves obviously), we have played two of the other four, and taken 1 point. We play a third on Saturday, and let’s not mess about, we simply must win……a defeat will see all confidence drain down the plug hole faster than you can say “season 20/21”.

A win would get us kind of back on track, and again, has to be followed up by solid wins against Peterhead and East Fife. We need to get our act together now, not next week or next month.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

Can’t disagree with you on any of that bar you resurrecting the ghost of the last three seasons of “we need to get 9 games done before we can make any sort of sensible judgement” followed by “we need to get 18 games done before we can make any sort of sensible judgement”. That’s what hope plus promises of “jam tomorrow” has conditioned us into thinking.
I said at the start of the season that the first 6 games would tell us a lot. My opinion was that a FFC truly equipped and focused on getting out of this league with no more messing about should have a very achievable target of 14 points over those six games with 12 points as a minimum.
Anything less than 12 points would give cause for concern. I have cause for concern. Of the current top 5 clubs in the league, (excluding ourselves obviously), we have played two of the other four, and taken 1 point. We play a third on Saturday, and let’s not mess about, we simply must win……a defeat will see all confidence drain down the plug hole faster than you can say “season 20/21”.
A win would get us kind of back on track, and again, has to be followed up by solid wins against Peterhead and East Fife. We need to get our act together now, not next week or next month.

Nah that’s fair and perhaps badly worded by me. 6 games is enough to tell us our strengths and weaknesses, and what we need to do.

9 games/a quarter perhaps more about the league overall, rather than just us.

Be interesting to see if/when Morrison and Williamson come back in what that adds, but who knows when that will be.

Guest Caractacus Potts

Let’s not forget how things managed to go South when Holt arrived last season, from match 12 onwards. 

Speaking of last season too, we had 34 points after 18 games and just dropped to 2nd. The points/6 games we achieved last year stands as follows.

1st 6- 14

2nd 6- 10

3rd 6- 7

last 4- 1 

If we continue the same form as present then we’ll have 4 less points after 18 games. 36 points up for grabs between now and then though so need to get at least 28 to reassure us that we have what it takes to win this league. 

3 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

. That’s what hope plus promises of “jam tomorrow” has conditioned us into thinking. 

On 11/09/2021 at 23:55, Duncan Freemason said:

Thee or four years now of being promised jam tomorrow. .

On 04/09/2021 at 18:27, Duncan Freemason said:

That’s all well and good, but it’s another “jam tomorrow” statement. 

On 11/07/2021 at 00:22, Duncan Freemason said:

Yet most still hang on to the assurances that jam is coming tomorrow .

On 07/07/2021 at 18:37, Duncan Freemason said:

and once again we are beating a retreat to there being jam tomorrow. 

On 07/04/2021 at 12:14, Duncan Freemason said:

We are all so conditioned into believing there will be jam tomorrow. 

On 22/04/2020 at 17:40, Duncan Freemason said:

a wee guy hanging onto his coat tails on the promise of some jam for him 

On 16/11/2019 at 11:16, Duncan Freemason said:

and with there being a promise of jam tomorrow, 

On 26/10/2019 at 17:56, Duncan Freemason said:

He's a typical “jam tomorrow” manager. 

On 29/08/2014 at 04:49, Duncan Freemason said:

the eternal message is "jam tomorrow". 

4F3B8277-EB1C-4315-B34D-9271785352C9.gif.897e10f9f81ad5b555ed3a96b30f595a.gif.ae05ca657a28085b1410caea61df2bd1.gif

6 games is normally too early to judge anything(Hibs n hearts topping league) I've always went for after the second round of games an indication of the real runners and when the Jan window opens a team can strengthen to confirm or achieve their aim of being champions.

The January window at times shows it can take one signing to make a team click but tbh one signing now could make or break our season and if that one was Ruth, I'd for sure be concerned.

I am not writing Ruth off after one game, by fuk I thought Stokes was just a wee boy too on his debut at Ibrox but we are now in the 3rd division but some our shit strikers of the past would've made more of an impact.

All hell will breakout if we don't get a good performance on Saturday and with Dumbarton skelping in 5 last game it won't be easy.

Ps I can't stand jam, so exclude me from wanting jam 

5 hours ago, Trump said:

Nah that’s fair and perhaps badly worded by me. 6 games is enough to tell us our strengths and weaknesses, and what we need to do.

9 games/a quarter perhaps more about the league overall, rather than just us.

Be interesting to see if/when Morrison and Williamson come back in what that adds, but who knows when that will be.

This is the mindset of the support and its fair considering the last 3 seasons. But it is the reason that potential signings will have been put off.

Near mutinous support with no patience at a club with a bad track record in player and manager turnover.

Not only must the next game be won but it must be done in style.

If the support is lost then its all over for the season.

Guest Caractacus Potts
57 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

This is the mindset of the support and its fair considering the last 3 seasons. But it is the reason that potential signings will have been put off.

Near mutinous support with no patience at a club with a bad track record in player and manager turnover.

Not only must the next game be won but it must be done in style.

If the support is lost then its all over for the season.

Sorry but I think it’s nonsense to suggest our support will have put players off from signing for us.

One of the biggest pluses about our club is the loyalty of the support. We’ve also taken average players to our hearts because of the effort they have shown on the pitch.

As much as I have stopped going to games for the time being I’m still overwhelmed by the amount of people on here willing to go regardless of what is going on at the club and how poor we’ve been. Differences aside we’re all passionate for the club and if a player doesn’t think they have what it takes to be held on a pedestal by fans or just looking for an easy payday then I’m happy they don’t sign. I very much doubt our fans have anything to do with a players decision not to sign though. If anything it will be the opposite. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

57 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Jeezo man, you don't half

happy people GIF

about the same thing over and over and over, do you? Please, give it a rest, eh?

Never mind jam tomorrow, I want bread and butter today!   We need just above the minimum standards required to win this god awful league.  It shouldn't be rocket science for a team with our budget.  Acquire competent players in all positions and pump a good proportion of the budget in a proven striker with a decent back up forward when he goes out injured.  Before you jump in and say no striker with a track record would come to us in the 3rd level - yes they will if we pay them enough.  It's just a case of how seriously the board want promotion.  Yes we can save money by taking chances on Wilson and Omprion, look how that's turning out.  A bit early but looks like Ruth is no Zak Rudden.  We have failed to sort out our goal scoring problem.  Alloa could almost have left their goalkeeper out of the team last Saturday for all the difference it would have made.  We are fighting with one hand tied behind our back.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake