The Falkirk FC Thread

Another performance on Saturday like the one against Alloa then alarm bells will be well and truly ringing. Tbh I don't think any of us wanted Sheerin or at least I don't recall any great clamour for him. It seemed mostly to be "let's give him a chance" after McCann knocked us back, Rice wasn't allowed to speak to us, and other names in the frame ie Grant went elsewhere ( where he's making a right c**t of it 😂). Honeymoon period over as he said post match, I guess we will now see if he is capable of turning things around, I've got my doubts. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's no hard and fast rule with football managers. Very rarely do any go through their career being successful everywhere or shite everywhere.  It's always a very mixed bag; laughable tenures in some jobs, then winning leagues or cups in another.

Look at Moyes, superb at Everton and West Ham, but would've had the champions finishing about 10th if he wasn't sacked when we was at United.

Paterson and Robertson at The Caley is another good example, both won leagues with us, and went to other clubs and they were shite. 

Every manager appointed is 'a gamble' to coin a fucking annoying phrase used on this website all the time. No one has any idea how it's going to go.

Some managers just suit a certain environment and organisation. John Lambie was the classic example. His style of management and play suited thistle but was never going to work at Falkirk and every one knew that apart from George bloody fulston.  Your example of Paterson is another of that ilk. The way he did things and his boozing was probably never going to cut it at Aberdeen . Players can be the same. Mark Millar was excellent for us but hopeless everywhere else.  Gardyne has been crap anywhere outside the Highlands . Your best chance of success imho is getting a manager on the way up whose riding the crest of a wave and full of confidence. Too often recently we've been getting managers coming off sackings elsewhere and it hasn't worked.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, ebobsboy said:

Another performance on Saturday like the one against Alloa then alarm bells will be well and truly ringing. Tbh I don't think any of us wanted Sheerin or at least I don't recall any great clamour for him. It seemed mostly to be "let's give him a chance" after McCann knocked us back, Rice wasn't allowed to speak to us, and other names in the frame ie Grant went elsewhere ( where he's making a right c**t of it 😂). Honeymoon period over as he said post match, I guess we will now see if he is capable of turning things around, I've got my doubts. 

Wee bit concerning that our other 'short list' options seem to have made a right arse of things as you say.  

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Wee bit concerning that our other 'short list' options seem to have made a right arse of things as you say.  

Although it pains me to say this, I have a little sympathy for the Board on this one. Yes, they have made an arse of it on too many occasions, when other clubs have managed to find the occasional gem. However, I can't really see much out there that I would have with the exception of Dick Campbell :) 

The only two I can think of, over the past considerable good wee while that I would have liked to have seen at FFC, would have been Ross or Goodwin, both at Alloa co-incidentally....although I think that was just pure luck when you consider they have appointed the likes of Lennon and Grant.  

5 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Although it pains me to say this, I have a little sympathy for the Board on this one. Yes, they have made an arse of it on too many occasions, when other clubs have managed to find the occasional gem. However, I can't really see much out there that I would have with the exception of Dick Campbell :) 

The only two I can think of, over the past considerable good wee while that I would have liked to have seen at FFC, would have been Ross or Goodwin, both at Alloa co-incidentally....although I think that was just pure luck when you consider they have appointed the likes of Lennon and Grant.  

Both Lennon and grant manage to keep alloa up which is what tantamounts to success their really. Alloa are a club that are always going to get relegated at some point if they don't its success if they do well it's expected really. They've certainly done a far better job at recruiting managers than we have in recent times.  Petrie's the manager that you really want to try and pry out of Montrose but that seems to be an impossible task at present.  Would be interesting to know though if we've ever actually asked about his availablity.  Surely we must have and been told it's a complete non starter.  Another of our short list Stuart Taylor has replaced rice and things aren't going too well for him either. Scudded 4 0 by Arbroath at the weekend.

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Both Lennon and grant manage to keep alloa up which is what tantamounts to success their really. Alloa are a club that are always going to get relegated at some point if they don't its success if they do well it's expected really. They've certainly done a far better job at recruiting managers than we have in recent times.  Petrie's the manager that you really want to try and pry out of Montrose but that seems to be an impossible task at present.  Would be interesting to know though if we've ever actually asked about his availablity.  Surely we must have and been told it's a complete non starter.  Another of our short list Stuart Taylor has replaced rice and things aren't going too well for him either. Scudded 4 0 by Arbroath at the weekend.

Thought Grant got Alloa relegated ? ..... or have I got my timings wrong ?

12 hours ago, Zbairn said:

The amount of cash we must have paid out on managers must by eye watering.

We haven’t just paid salaries, but also paid compensation to get rid of them . With McKinnon we even paid compensation to get him in !

Lets hope Sheerin is not another on the list of cash p****d up the wall by our BoD

The question here isn't Sheerin per se. He is part of a structure where he is being used as a meat shield by Holt and the board. 

At the risk of getting a torrent for suggesting we shouldn't panic yet, can you imagine what reaction would have been like on here if a manager plucked from Berwick took 1 pt from 12 as happened at the start of the 1990/91 season?  Now clearly we're a league below where we were then but we shouldn't need a Stainrod to start picking up results in League 1.  

Sheerin may work out, he may not but its far too early to be chucking in the towel.  We were poor on Saturday which hasn't been the case in most of our other games.  Sheerin also seems to know it (much more than M&M or McKinnon ever admitted) so let's see whether we get a reaction on Saturday.  At the very least the team looks like it has a plan this year.  

I do agree a lot of weight now on Ruth & Keena to perform after the Wilson debacle and for guys like Williamson and Morrison to be back soon.  He also needs to realise that tactical changes are needed to bring Krasniqi in, push Telfer on, Nesbitt in the centre etc.  Start picking up wins and confidence should come back quickly.  

If we get into October and it becomes clear Saturday wasn't a blip then some of the panic will be justified.  

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

Thought Grant got Alloa relegated ? ..... or have I got my timings wrong ?

He kept them up the first season and then they were relegated the next as did Lennon.  As I said chances are they will go down at some point. They went down under Jack Ross too.

I'd like to see what Ruth can do out wide, as suggested he can play there as well, will get keena back up front and allow nesbitt back in the middle where very clearly is his best position for us. Injuries are annoying as with Morrison and Williamson back in on the right I think we could be more than decent. 

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He kept them up the first season and then they were relegated the next as did Lennon.  As I said chances are they will go down at some point. They went down under Jack Ross too.

Mmm he had them 3 points above us and 5 above Thistle (who had as they like to remind everyone a game in hand) the week that Covid shut the game down. I'd be wary of accepting the claim that Grant 'kept them up'. There were 8 games to go.

Sheerin set us up to fail with team selection, tactics and sub use.

One thing is he as good as admitted that and time will tell if he learns from it.

Ruth starting was the maddest decision to date with the starting 11, a player with little experience and a few days training with his team mates.

I personally think we need to change formation, the amount of times we put a ball in the box and we are aiming at one player then we go two up there is more attempts at goal than when we had with one up top

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mmm he had them 3 points above us and 5 above Thistle (who had as they like to remind everyone a game in hand) the week that Covid shut the game down. I'd be wary of accepting the claim that Grant 'kept them up'. There were 8 games to go.

I'm not saying he did an amazing job but he'd be working with the smallest budget in the league so having them anywhere above bottom is an achievement in itself at the end of the day. 

18 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

I'd like to see what Ruth can do out wide, as suggested he can play there as well, will get keena back up front and allow nesbitt back in the middle where very clearly is his best position for us. Injuries are annoying as with Morrison and Williamson back in on the right I think we could be more than decent. 

I've heard he's honking played out wide but we'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

5 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

So does that mean that having Falkirk anywhere other than top is quite an achievement mate ??

It's certainly quite an achievement failing to get promotion with the biggest budget in the league but we seem to manage it on a regular basis these days.

Guest Back Post Misses
3 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

At the risk of getting a torrent for suggesting we shouldn't panic yet, can you imagine what reaction would have been like on here if a manager plucked from Berwick took 1 pt from 12 as happened at the start of the 1990/91 season?  Now clearly we're a league below where we were then but we shouldn't need a Stainrod to start picking up results in League 1.  

Sheerin may work out, he may not but its far too early to be chucking in the towel.  We were poor on Saturday which hasn't been the case in most of our other games.  Sheerin also seems to know it (much more than M&M or McKinnon ever admitted) so let's see whether we get a reaction on Saturday.  At the very least the team looks like it has a plan this year.  

I do agree a lot of weight now on Ruth & Keena to perform after the Wilson debacle and for guys like Williamson and Morrison to be back soon.  He also needs to realise that tactical changes are needed to bring Krasniqi in, push Telfer on, Nesbitt in the centre etc.  Start picking up wins and confidence should come back quickly.  

If we get into October and it becomes clear Saturday wasn't a blip then some of the panic will be justified.  

For David Holmes, I give you Gary Deans. For Jim Jefferies and his recruitment I give you Gary Holt. There ends any comparison any sane person should ever make with 1991.