The Falkirk FC Thread

A lot of the above is a knee jerk reaction to a few bad losses. But, thats what football will always bring. As long as we are winning the majority of fans are happy. After a couple of losses a melt down happens. 

My opinion, for what it's worth. Apart from the re-introduction of some form of Academy, I haven't seen any progress anywhere.

The Sheerin / Holt internal politics issue was always going to come to a head at some point.  Sheerin has to toe the line and he can't really say what he thinks. The idea that he has the final say in signings may be true...it may be not. We will never know. However, did he really sanction the signing of Holt's laddie ??  If Wilson and Ompreon were his idea, then he has to shoulder some of the blame for the predicament we may find ourselves in if we don't start a wee run of wins. 

Have we seen any improvement with respect to the way the club has been run with the exception of appointing a new CEO ? from what I gather nothing much has changed except we now have on online deal with Greaves to support the shop. If anything we have stepped backwards with possibly less investment through AT/ KK leaving. Sammy coming in was always going to be a sop to the fans, but realistically he will not have the contacts for a good wee while to do the job properly even if the goodwill is there. Plus, he is new to this type of employment. 

As for the Rawlins / Deans / other Board members......has anything really changed from when the MSG were in power?  I can't see much in the way of (promised) investment other than add new levels of admin.  They knocked back a significant sum from the NB, for reasons that still don't sit well with me.  For what? ..... to stay in power without doing anything ??? Maybe it's just as well for those fans who were intending to invest, as the cash would likely have been used to fill the black hole in the finances that will inevitably occur if we don't get promoted. I dread to think what the club will do with any cash that any Fans Investment Group might bring.  

All in all, until we are sitting comfortably at the top o the league....the negativity will not go away ! 

Edited by Zbairn
add

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

No manager/first team coach in this league will be feeling the pressure that’s now piling up on Sheerin’s shoulders. Probably for the first time in his career (including Arbroath).

This season is going to make him or break him, and I far from convinced that the structure above him will be giving him too much in the way of public support.

If that's us done in terms of incomings it's going to be a long season. We just don't create enough without Morrison stretching the game, it's all played in front of the opposition, further hampered by playing 1 striker. I hope I'm wrong but unless things change in terms of tactics and personnel I can see Sheerin being out a job come Christmas, the recruitment has been brutal yet again, and that's on Holt mainly but not all, difference being he won't be the one out a job when he's every bit as culpable. 

2 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

If that's us done in terms of incomings it's going to be a long season. We just don't create enough without Morrison stretching the game, it's all played in front of the opposition, further hampered by playing 1 striker. I hope I'm wrong but unless things change in terms of tactics and personnel I can see Sheerin being out a job come Christmas, the recruitment has been brutal yet again, and that's on Holt mainly but not all, difference being he won't be the one out a job when he's every bit as culpable. 

I think it has been pretty obvious from the start of the season we would be lightweight in the middle and get bullied by stronger teams...whilst being unable to score goals as we don't have a "recognised" striker.  

We only look good, much better than the last few seasons, when teams allow us to play. But then again, easy to nullify that by marking Morrison out of the game. P.S. just to add ...and some of Sheerin's team selections / substitutions. 

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Yip it's the bod that keeps appointing shite managers that's the main issue unfortunately.

Nothing Hartley, McKinnon or Sheerin have done before or since in management points to them being “shite”. M&M I’ll very much give you - horrendous 

9 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Nothing Hartley, McKinnon or Sheerin have done before or since in management points to them being “shite”. M&M I’ll very much give you - horrendous 

McKinnon was dreadful at Dundee united and has lived off a decent few months at Raith rovers alone . Even queen's park fans were bored to death by his style of football before he got punted.  Hartley signed some real stinkers that cannot be blamed on super scout. Dylan Mackin and old froxy for instance. He's doing just enough at cove considering his budget compared to others.  Sheerin was  a mixed bag at Arbroath.   Who knows whether he's a decent manager or not. The first two failed miserably despite a more than competitive budget so Id still say they are shite managers. Time will tell re sheerin.

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McKinnon was dreadful at Dundee united and has lived off a decent few months at Raith rovers alone . Even queen's park fans were bored to death by his style of football before he got punted.  Hartley signed some real stinkers that cannot be blamed on super scout. Dylan Mackin and old froxy for instance. He's doing just enough at cove considering his budget compared to others.  Sheerin was  a mixed bag at Arbroath.   Who knows whether he's a decent manager or not. The first two failed miserably despite a more than competitive budget so Id still say they are shite managers. Time will tell re sheerin.

A simple google search will show Hartley’s only real failure is with us. His CV is extremely impressive. Don’t care that he’s an odious twat.

Mckinnon did exactly the job required with Queens Park, and had DU promoted, and was doing well with morten when he left. 

Sheerin spoke of very favourably by Arbroath fans, with goals galore in a league winning season. 

Im not pretending the football under McKinnon and Hartley was good. But maybe the basket case of a club means it’s almost impossible to succeed no matter who you appoint. That’s why fans already fuming at sheerin (there was serious seethe at alloa), are directing their justified at anger at completely the wrong place. 

10 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

A simple google search will show Hartley’s only real failure is with us. His CV is extremely impressive. Don’t care that he’s an odious twat.

Mckinnon did exactly the job required with Queens Park, and had DU promoted, and was doing well with morten when he left. 

Sheerin spoke of very favourably by Arbroath fans, with goals galore in a league winning season. 

Im not pretending the football under McKinnon and Hartley was good. But maybe the basket case of a club means it’s almost impossible to succeed no matter who you appoint. That’s why fans already fuming at sheerin (there was serious seethe at alloa), are directing their justified at anger at completely the wrong place. 

Robbie Neilson got DU promoted.

14 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

When did McKinnon get du promoted? He failed miserably ffs with a huge budget for the championship.  Hartley scraped promotion with Dundee despite their big budget had one decent season in the top flight and then was on the way to relegating them when he got punted. 

These managers have all been given budgets that are more than competitive in the league's they have been in.  McKinnon got us relegated when he had more than enough time to keep us up.  He then wasted the biggest budget in league one by a country mile.  Hartley fielded one of the worst sides on living memory and if he wasn't bothering watching players before we signed them then that's his own fault. As I said the signings that were clearly his were bloody awful too.  Both of them recruited badly and paid the penalty.  Sheerin aided and abetted by Holt aren't looking too great either at the moment and again that includes the Two Aberdeen boys  that are obviously Sheerins pics. There's a lot wrong with the club but the budget being made available for the team in recent seasons hasn't been the issue it's the way it's been spent.by the cretins in charge.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Caractacus Potts
11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Considering we only retained 4 players from last season’s squad and have a new manager in place, I have no idea why you’d think using us a some sort of marker for your performance this season vs last season is even remotely relevant. 

I’d expect you to win this weekend, especially given you are at home, but we are a completely different team with a different style of play compared the absolute muck Jim Duffy subjected us to. 

Not sure why you want to comment on a Falkirk fans thread but playing second fiddle to Dumbarton at any point in the season is a poor marker for Falkirk or at least it should be anyway. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

A few of our fellow P&Bers called this out as soon as he was announced, and fair play to them, he's been chucked into the firing line.

He might turn out to be decent first team coach or he might be crap. Either way, this isn't on him. We shouldn't allow those detached & arrogant fuckers upstairs to hide behind him.

Bealing, fuming & utterly fucking seething.

Yet again.

100% on the above. 

As for the manager’s, Hartley was a good signing on paper and almost all fans were pleased with him coming in however the issue was then sanctioning that ridiculous money ball regime he tried to implement. Serious questions should have been asked at the level of players he was bringing in. 

McKinnon was a crazy signing. Not the kind of guy you’d want at Falkirk and already in a job. 

Miler and McCracken were a bizarre appointment and definitely not what was  required. I still feel Sheerin is a risk but at least you can see what he’s trying to implement, unlike M and M. Also concerned that his best success at Arbroath was when he played as he was a pretty tidy player. Maybe more influential on the park than off it. Still behind him and do feel he’s had no support to bring in good quality players. Why we didn’t go for Henderson is beyond me. Didn’t have the same level of grant Alloa got but declined what I presume to be the biggest offer of investment in our club’s history and by Falkirk fans(sorry can’t let it rest).

Sheerin at least comes across as honest and doesn't try to sugarcoat things, that's all fair and well but it's a results driven game and he will be out a job just like his predecessors if he doesn't get things right. He might be a likeable enough bloke but he might just as easy be a likeable ex coach. I just get the feeling he's stubborn and won't deviate from his philosophy, I also get the get the feeling if you get on the wrong side of him you ain't playing. That on Saturday just smacked of an entire team who looked liked they couldn't be bothered. One or two you could take but for every single one not to give a bit effort or pride to me says something wasn't right, if he's got to the stage of " they can air their views and we'll air ours " in the dressing room already reeks there's something wrong. 

The amount of cash we must have paid out on managers must by eye watering.

We haven’t just paid salaries, but also paid compensation to get rid of them . With McKinnon we even paid compensation to get him in !

Lets hope Sheerin is not another on the list of cash p****d up the wall by our BoD

Sheerin's post match interview at Alloa was refreshingly honest. Accepted that it wasn't anywhere near good enough

You can certainly see what he is trying to implement in terms of a style of play.

We obviously had a better points return at this stage last season but we were never overly convincing.

Tbh I think we're in a similar position in terms of the squad. A good 1-11 on paper with not much to back it up. You could argue we have at least two players for every position, but the majority are youngsters or utter jobbers like Hall, Miller and Wilson.

For now at least, Saturday will be filed as just a bad day, but that’s two games against sides which would be considered to be serious rivals. We have been beaten by both, and no amount of “unlucky” sentiments are going to change either result. 

Unless Ruth turns in amazing performances, I don’t see how things are going to improve. Morrison and Keena out, and we are comprehensively beaten. Now, if Sheerin’s liking for Ruth matches his liking for Hetherington, then I think Keena might be as pissed off as Gary Miller is, and if that happens, then Sheerin might be in real bother. Add in Big K not getting a game ahead of a player he is demonstrably better than, and there might be even more trouble at t’mill.

18 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Fans are hopefully reaching the stage when they are no longer willing to put up with performances like Saturdays. There is absolutely no excuse for a shit show like that . We won't win every game but playing with no effort , game plan or will to win is something that should've been confined to last season and yet here we are again new season, same old clueless showing. The complete lack of motivation in the side was the real worry. Alloa rolled us over without as much as a whimper from us. It's one thing not having the players to get results but if the manager can't at least get them to bust a gut that's a major concern.

I watched the match for the first time in a while and thought, Nesbitt apart, Alloa were better than us in every position. Not just for work rate but also ability it seemed, which shocked me a bit.

And their team included Conor Sammon FFS!

Hopefully just a very bad day at the office.     

7 hours ago, Caractacus Potts said:

100% on the above. 

As for the manager’s, Hartley was a good signing on paper and almost all fans were pleased with him coming in however the issue was then sanctioning that ridiculous money ball regime he tried to implement. Serious questions should have been asked at the level of players he was bringing in. 

McKinnon was a crazy signing. Not the kind of guy you’d want at Falkirk and already in a job. 

Miler and McCracken were a bizarre appointment and definitely not what was  required. I still feel Sheerin is a risk but at least you can see what he’s trying to implement, unlike M and M. Also concerned that his best success at Arbroath was when he played as he was a pretty tidy player. Maybe more influential on the park than off it. Still behind him and do feel he’s had no support to bring in good quality players. Why we didn’t go for Henderson is beyond me. Didn’t have the same level of grant Alloa got but declined what I presume to be the biggest offer of investment in our club’s history and by Falkirk fans(sorry can’t let it rest).

The "ridiculous money ball regime" was part of Craig Campbell's Project Premiership, as was closing the academy.

Hartley was just the poor sod in the manager's chair at the time who had to deal with it.   

Still, at least it was all worth it. 

There's no hard and fast rule with football managers. Very rarely do any go through their career being successful everywhere or shite everywhere.  It's always a very mixed bag; laughable tenures in some jobs, then winning leagues or cups in another.

Look at Moyes, superb at Everton and West Ham, but would've had the champions finishing about 10th if he wasn't sacked when we was at United.

Paterson and Robertson at The Caley is another good example, both won leagues with us, and went to other clubs and they were shite. 

Every manager appointed is 'a gamble' to coin a fucking annoying phrase used on this website all the time. No one has any idea how it's going to go.