The Falkirk FC Thread

9 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Last season after 6 games we were unbeaten with 14 points, 12 scored and 4 conceded.

This season,  lost 2 already with 10 points, scored 8 and conceded 6.

Where is the improvement?

Shocking,  especially after the sphiel given at the Q&A.

I think most people believe in Sheerin, the reinstatement of the development set up etc. However why are we paying a DOF the rumoured £50K plus per annum when we can't put a winning team on the pitch? Why are we still recruiting the likes of Wilson when by their own admission he wasn't great in the trials and had no real reputation prior to that? these 2 wages alone could be far better spent and that's before you dig any further.

41 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Last season after 6 games we were unbeaten with 14 points, 12 scored and 4 conceded.

I don't think the players we have currently are really any better than the ones McKinnon signed to be honest.

Is McCann any better than Dixon at left back? 

Is hall any better than Durnan at centre half?

Is hetherington any better than gomis?

Is mcguffie better than Connolly?

Are any of our strikers anywhere near as good as McManus?

Mackay and Williamson the jury's still out on as they've been crocked now for weeks. 

A lot of our players are no better or are even worse than what we had the first season we came down if you ask me which is pretty disappointing to say the least.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

I think most people believe in Sheerin. 

Why are we still recruiting the likes of Wilson when by their own admission he wasn't great in the trials and had no real reputation prior to that? 

Oxymoron: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words.

How can we still believe in Sheerin when by his own admission he is the one who signed Wilson and Ompreon, as you say, after seeing them in trials?

If, however, he was given the ultimatum by Holt of "you have to sign them, its all you are going to get, take it or leave it" he should have had the balls to "leave it".

I'm not getting at you bridge of allan bairn, I share your bewilderment.

We should change our name to Groundhog Day FC. Every year it's the same, pre-season optimism, good season ticket sales and by a handful of games in we have the same shitshow again from a team full of jobbers. How much longer before we see our club in a semi-respectable place in Scottish football or is the decline going to continue.

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

We should change our name to Groundhog Day FC. Every year it's the same, pre-season optimism, good season ticket sales and by a handful of games in we have the same shitshow again from a team full of jobbers. How much longer before we see our club in a semi-respectable place in Scottish football or is the decline going to continue.

More chance of us ending up in a semi professional place in Scottish football the way things are going.

5 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

If things don't start going better on the pitch does Sheerin carry the can. Granted how the team plays is down to him but in my opinion there is no way Deans, Holt, Rawlins should be getting it easy. The calibre of player we have is primarily down to Holt and as for the board there is no point in Dof, Chief Execs and whatever else if the product on the park is shite. We are after all a football team.

In my opinion it’s Holt, Deans and the Rawlins who are exclusively at fault. Our recruitment this summer was frighteningly bad, it’s not as if Sheerin has much to work with. The Falkirk job is now a poisoned chalice,  the manager gets scapegoated for the incompetence behind the scenes. 

31 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Oxymoron: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words.

How can we still believe in Sheerin when by his own admission he is the one who signed Wilson and Ompreon, as you say, after seeing them in trials?

If, however, he was given the ultimatum by Holt of "you have to sign them, its all you are going to get, take it or leave it" he should have had the balls to "leave it".

I'm not getting at you bridge of allan bairn, I share your bewilderment.

yep. understand. I'm giving sheerin some of the benefit of the doubt here that these are the players that are being put in front of him and the budgets he is having to work with. agreed though I'm guessing ultimately he surely has the final say in a yes or no? he's admitted himself that the honeymoon period is now over. fans are starting to question his picks,  positions and tactics. 

8 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

yep. understand. I'm giving sheerin some of the benefit of the doubt here that these are the players that are being put in front of him and the budgets he is having to work with. agreed though I'm guessing ultimately he surely has the final say in a yes or no? he's admitted himself that the honeymoon period is now over. fans are starting to question his picks,  positions and tactics. 

Certainly the concern would be that the best signings appear so far to be the pca's Holt sorted out before Sheerin came on the scene. 

24 minutes ago, MS RR said:

In my opinion it’s Holt, Deans and the Rawlins who are exclusively at fault. Our recruitment this summer was frighteningly bad, it’s not as if Sheerin has much to work with. The Falkirk job is now a poisoned chalice,  the manager gets scapegoated for the incompetence behind the scenes. 

Sheerin has had a direct influence on the signings of Ross, Ruth, Ompreon and Wilson. The first two he knows from Aberdeen and whilst no judgement can be made on Ruth after one match, Ross looks every inch the Cove Rangers jobber he was. The latter pair were both on trial (Wilson for weeks and weeks) and already both look to be right up there with the absolute worst of Hartley and Mitch's lost summer of 2018. Appalling recruitment. Sheerin also claimed he was happy with the business that Holt had carried out prior to his appointment, yet only Nesbitt has had any sort of positive impact, albeit he's been denied the use of Williamson to date. We have deep-rooted, endemic problems that go way beyond the head coach, but Sheerin is not as blameless for the current make-up of the squad as some like to make out.

Sheerin’s tactics & personnel choices plus the players lack of effort/dig are at fault for yesterday’s loss. If he/they gets the praise for the previous wins/performances then they shoulder the loss too. 

Some say when we win it’s in spite of Holt (who I personally have no time for) & the board but a loss is attributed to them also? That’s just getting silly.  

Huge game next week already & 3pts is a must even at this stage to stop the rot as Sheerin himself said. 

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

Sheerin’s tactics & personnel choices plus the players lack of effort/dig are at fault for yesterday’s loss. If he/they gets the praise for the previous wins/performances then they shoulder the loss too. 

Some say when we win it’s in spite of Holt (who I personally have no time for) & the board but a loss is attributed to them also? That’s just getting silly.  

Huge game next week already & 3pts is a must even at this stage to stop the rot as Sheerin himself said. 

A huge game v Dumbarton 😳

Not huge in terms of opposition but huge in terms of getting a win. You just can't see where the goals are going to come from, Dumbarton will be full of confidence after their result. Normally I'd back us to beat Dumbarton at home but after that shit show yesterday I can see us dropping more points.  

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 hours ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Don’t even have to compare to last season when Dumbarton have as many points and scored 5 more goals! 

Still lucky that we’re on a par with most teams at the minute though as if Cove or Queens were more consistent then could easily be 4-6 points off the top at this early stage. 

Just now, Reggie Perrin said:

I think the point was how grim things are when a game against Dumbarton is regarded as huge.

I got the point.

Every game in this league is shit on paper but as others regularly say, we are here on merit so just need to deal with it & crack on. A win is needed next week & being annoyed we aren’t playing Celtic, Hearts or Inverness for that matter in a better league doesn’t change that fact. 

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I don't think the players we have currently are really any better than the ones McKinnon signed to be honest.

Is McCann any better than Dixon at left back? 

Is hall any better than Durnan at centre half?

Is hetherington any better than gomis?

Is mcguffie better than Connolly?

Are any of our strikers anywhere near as good as McManus?

Mackay and Williamson the jury's still out on as they've been crocked now for weeks. 

A lot of our players are no better or are even worse than what we had the first season we came down if you ask me which is pretty disappointing to say the least.

There is not a great deal of difference in the players in Scotland outside of the SPL what makes the difference is tactics, motivation fitness and overall club management .
From what I witnessed yesterday I can saw a huge difference in the performances from Sammon & Durnan much fitter and better since stepping up to part time . The tactical advantage of only having 30 mins on a Thursday night in the pub to discuss the opposition was also clear fall all to see. Alloa players  clearly motivated by wee Barry,s in depth technical knowhow responded well  to his 10 min pre- match chat . However the main advantage Alloa had was the support from the chairman who also doubles up as bus driver, chief executive, groundsman,  scout , and  director of football. He does this in his spare time after working a 60 hour week running his business. Fitba is a simple game played best by idiots complicated by well meaning businessmen who think it’s a business. 

41 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I got the point.

Every game in this league is shit on paper but as others regularly say, we are here on merit so just need to deal with it & crack on. A win is needed next week & being annoyed we aren’t playing Celtic, Hearts or Inverness for that matter in a better league doesn’t change that fact. 

No shit