The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Its a bold argument to make at the start of September that none of our strikers will hit 15 goals so we should be panic signing the likes of Greig Spence.  Especially when one of our strikers hasn't played a single game yet and we've only gone 1 game without scoring at least once.  

How many goals had Lyle Taylor or Rory Loy scored when they signed?  

Its still very possible 2 from Keena, Ruth and Morrison will score 15+ this season.  

Here we go again not what  I said. We know two of them definitely won't. If you think either ompreon or Wilson will score 15 goals this season I'll bet you however much money you want that they won't right now . Keena and Ruth who knows . So we have two strikers that might get us the goals and two we know won't. My point was that I'd rather have three that might have a chance is Keena, Ruth and a n other like an experienced head that had done it previously.  I really don't see what's wrong with saying that.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I've watched football for years mate so don't start with that shite.. Holding up play is all about a decent first touch and using your body to protect the ball. It's a basic they teach you in any academy these days. The strikers that struggle to do that it's usually because their first touch is shite and in that case they really shouldn't be playing pro football in the first place. 

Generally I tend to agree with your posts but I definitely think you are being overly critical when it comes to Keena.

He does hold the ball up well and bring others into play around him, he certainly is not a target man style striker though.

I would like to see Nesbit play off him, would create real problems for opposing defences with their close control.

Just now, Reggie Perrin said:

Generally I tend to agree with your posts but I definitely think you are being overly critical when it comes to Keena.

He does hold the ball up well and bring others into play around him, he certainly is not a target man style striker though.

I would like to see Nesbit play off him, would create real problems for opposing defences with their close control.

I never thought he was a target man. I thought he'd be more of a predator/natural finisher but he doesn't seem to get in the box enough and when he does he never seems to be where the ball is.  I saw him as the kind of player that would get the ball into feet lay it off to a Morrison or nesbitt and then get into the box looking to finish. His short playing history showed the ability to score a decent number of goals in a limited number of games but so far that hasn't been the case with us unfortunately.

In games this season where we're expected to dominate the play I'd like to see us deploy Telfer further forward and leave Krasniqi as the only one sitting. Telfer always shows for the ball and he's good at linking the play between the defence and midfield but he's much better at making things happen in the final third. He doesn't have the engine in him to do both roles so I'd rather see him further up the park affecting games where it matters. Ruth over Mcguffie as I don't think Mcguffie has shown enough in the games he's played, he's looks to be a tidy enough player on the ball he just goes missing too often in games.

Martin
Williamson Hall Dixon Mccann
Krasniqi
Morrison Telfer Nisbett Ruth
Keena

5 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Holt has put his faith in Ruth. We have all been crying out for a CF to score goals this is the one to do that in his opinion.  Let’s see how the lad does. Pressure on Holt if he isn’t the player the team needs. I hope he plays Saturday because the strikers Keena included havent been good enough so far. 

Ruth is a good young player who came through the QP youth system and left us for Aberdeen when he was 17. Has been on loan at Arbroath and has a promising future. If he can link up with Keena, who was on loan to us a few years ago, he could be what you are looking for.

Guest Caractacus Potts
9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

In games this season where we're expected to dominate the play I'd like to see us deploy Telfer further forward and leave Krasniqi as the only one sitting. Telfer always shows for the ball and he's good at linking the play between the defence and midfield but he's much better at making things happen in the final third. He doesn't have the engine in him to do both roles so I'd rather see him further up the park affecting games where it matters. Ruth over Mcguffie as I don't think Mcguffie has shown enough in the games he's played, he's looks to be a tidy enough player on the ball he just goes missing too often in games.

Martin
Krasniqi
Keena

Agreed. On the games I’ve viewed Telfer has been totally under utilised and looked like a passenger in the game. We know he has good quality going forward so should use him more in a forward position. We really shouldn’t have more than 1 sitting midfielder if we want to try dominate this league. 

3 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Ruth is a good young player who came through the QP youth system and left us for Aberdeen when he was 17. Has been on loan at Arbroath and has a promising future. If he can link up with Keena, who was on loan to us a few years ago, he could be what you are looking for.

I doubt we'll play with both of them upfront together. If they are both playing then Ruth will be on the left of a 4-3-3 with Keena as the main striker. Otherwise I'd imagine it'll be either Ruth or Keena up top on their own.

10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Martin
Krasniqi
Keena

Yeah Telfer is wasted in a deep role for me. He was just in front of our back 4 against QP.

14 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

It's very difficult to know what he'll be like. It's not as if he played a lot of games for qp and banged the goals in before he left them at least we'd have something to base it on but he moved on after just a handful of matches.  He's only made two sub apps for Aberdeen and his loan at Arbroath was pretty unremarkable with no goals in 18 games. We don't have any previous goal scoring form to base anything on unfortunately.  We'll just need to wait and see.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Caractacus Potts
6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's very difficult to know what he'll be like. It's not as if he played a lot of games for qp and banged the goals in before he left them at least we'd have something to base it on but he moved on after just a handful of matches.  He's only made two sub apps for Aberdeen and his loan at Arbroath was pretty unremarkable with no goals in 18 games. We don't have any previous goal scoring form to base anything on unfortunately.  We'll just need to wait and see.

He did score against Arbroath and Brora in this years Challenge Cup. That’s as many competitive goals as any of our strikers have this season. At least it’s something to cling to. 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

My original list was a list of players that had scored goals for fun at this level before to show that you didn't need to be up to much to score goals in this league in answer to people suggesting that we shouldn't be expecting a club in league one like us to be able to sign someone who will score a lot of goals in this league. My arguement didn't mention signing any of them you were the one that started to obsess about signing Spence for some reason considering I hadn't mentioned it and he was only one of a good number of players on that list. It was then that I said I would take him over Wilson any day.My original arguement still stands that why when past history shows that bang average players can score loads of goals at this level do some people  deem it a near impossible task for us to get someone in to do it? 

At present we know 2 of our strikers definitely won't get enough goals. Keena needs to be far more prolific and Ruth we have no idea how he'll do. Frankly I'd rather we had 3 that might just get us enough goals than 2 who might and 2 who definitely won't but that's just little old me.  

So, here's a question for you then; do you think we should sign Greig Spence?

48 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

So, here's a question for you then; do you think we should sign Greig Spence?

No if I was going for a more experienced striker there were better ones out there as I said ( Buchanan or a moffat) although I still say a choice between him and Wilson and I'd take spence.  Having wasted two slots on Wilson and ompreon and not being convinced with Keena I had hoped we'd get someone with a bit more of a recent goal scoring record than Ruth in to be honest but we're now stuck with him and Keena and no real backup to the two of them that you would put any faith in.  A more experienced option would've been my preference over ompreon and Wilson but that's not going to happen now so we better pray that Ruth and Keena are going to get lots of goals for us over the coming months. Only time will tell.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

He did score against Arbroath and Brora in this years Challenge Cup. That’s as many competitive goals as any of our strikers have this season. At least it’s something to cling to. 

Challenge cup playing for under 20s against second string sides isn't much of a gauge to be honest. Anyone watching us on Saturday would think we were feckin hopeless. We'll know soon enough whether he's got it or not.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No if I was going for a more experienced striker there were better ones out there as I said ( Buchanan or a moffat) although I still say a choice between him and Wilson and I'd take spence.  Having wasted two slots on Wilson and ompreon and not being convinced with Keena I had hoped we'd get someone with a bit more of a recent goal scoring record than Ruth in to be honest but we're now stuck with him and Keena and no real backup to the two of them that you would put any faith in.  A more experienced option would've been my preference over ompreon and Wilson but that's not going to happen now so we better pray that Ruth and Keena are going to get lots of goals for us over the coming months. Only time will tell.

TBH I'm not sure who's taking the piss out of who now!

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Martin
Krasniqi
Keena

Hetherington is Sheerin’s Captain. If he is fit to play, Sheerin will play him. In Krasniqi, there’s a young guy who can do anything Hetherington can do, and for the most part, is a far more accomplished player, but he isn’t Sheerin’s boy, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he is dropped.

Guest Caractacus Potts
52 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Challenge cup playing for under 20s against second string sides isn't much of a gauge to be honest. Anyone watching us on Saturday would think we were feckin hopeless. We'll know soon enough whether he's got it or not.

True but Keena has only scored vs East Kilbride and Airdrie. 

I’m agreeing with you in that it’s a risk but just clinging to some hope he’ll do a job for us. 

I am pretty disappointed with the transfers in all honesty. Started off well but since the 4 who were brought in at the start I’ve been a bit underwhelmed particularly since we have a Sporting Director, a head of scouting and with all the chat about the Rawlins contacts. Just want us to get out this league though so really crossing my fingers Ruth is the next Darryl Duffy. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

26 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Hetherington is Sheerin’s Captain. If he is fit to play, Sheerin will play him. In Krasniqi, there’s a young guy who can do anything Hetherington can do, and for the most part, is a far more accomplished player, but he isn’t Sheerin’s boy, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he is dropped.

We only have Krasniqi till January so I can see why they’ll prefer Hetherington over him. No point playing Krasniqi until January and then having to put Hetherington back in at an important time of the season. Whether we like it or not, Hetherington is here for the long term so they’ll put their faith in him. 

I don’t actually think he’s been that bad and I think he does a lot of the unnoticeable stuff. Granted his sending off at Airdrie was daft and his passing can let him down at times. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, Rocco said:

We only have Krasniqi till January so I can see why they’ll prefer Hetherington over him. No point playing Krasniqi until January and then having to put Hetherington back in at an important time of the season. Whether we like it or not, Hetherington is here for the long term so they’ll put their faith in him. 

I don’t actually think he’s been that bad and I think he does a lot of the unnoticeable stuff. Granted his sending off at Airdrie was daft and his passing can let him down at times. 

I like the way Hetherington gets stuck in. Would like a bit more from him on the ball but if that’s his role to break up play then fine. Don’t want Telfer to be doing the same though and the worry with Hetherington is that he’s guaranteed to pick up a few suspensions.