The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Holt has put his faith in Ruth. We have all been crying out for a CF to score goals this is the one to do that in his opinion.  Let’s see how the lad does. Pressure on Holt if he isn’t the player the team needs. I hope he plays Saturday because the strikers Keena included havent been good enough so far. 

Holt? Sheerin made it clear in his first interview he would have the final say in all signings and given the Aberdeen connection this is clearly one of his. 

18 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

No, but, as you say, you used Spence as an example of someone that had already done it at this level, so why wouldn't you want 'Greig feckin Spence' now?

Also, I'm not sure that anyone claimed that you were basing all our striking hopes on him either, so stop making things up.

I said I'd take him in front of Wilson any day of the week.  I used him as an example of how shit you can be and still score goals at this level. Anyway I'm not sure we should be slagging off a guy that scored 33 goals in two seasons in this league until we find out how many our 4 get this season.  Will they better Greig Spence only time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Cologne said:

Holt? Sheerin made it clear in his first interview he would have the final say in all signings and given the Aberdeen connection this is clearly one of his. 

Which means in 7 months the best Holt has been able to come up with is Jaime Wilson and ompreon for his £40/50 a year. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I said I'd take him in front of Wilson any day of the week.  I used him as an example of how shit you can be and still score goals at this level. Anyway I'm not sure we should be slagging off a guy that scored 33 goals in two seasons in this league until we find out how many our 4 get this season.  Will they better Greig Spence only time will tell.

Your original argument had nothing to do with Wilson, again, you're using that to suit.

So, taking the 'he'd be better than Wilson' claim out of the equation, would you be happy to sign Spence now? As he's the man that's shown he can do it in this league he'd be signed as the main striker too as, based on what you've already said, the rest aren't going to be able to score the goals we need.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Which means in 7 months the best Holt has been able to come up with is Jaime Wilson and ompreon for his £40/50 a year. 

Those will be who he's managed to actually sign. You, me and nobody else has any idea who else he's sourced, possibly offered a deal too and been turned down for various reasons, the main one being that we're a L1 side.

9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Those will be who he's managed to actually sign. You, me and nobody else has any idea who else he's sourced, possibly offered a deal too and been turned down for various reasons, the main one being that we're a L1 side.

Sorry Shagger but that is nonsense. There are 100s of strikers in lower league football, be it the Championship or L1 in Scotland, The National League and National Leagues North and South in England, Irish Lower Leagues etc. And the best that he can get is Wilson and Ompreon?

We have the potential to be a Championship / lower Premiership side, sell that to them. Hell, Grainger upped sticks from his home in Workington to come and join us because he could see the potential. Holt is obviously shit at his job if Wilson and Ompreon is all he can convince to join us.

17 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Who he's failed to sign means absolutely f**k all though.  Successful dofs like managers get the right players in the ones that don't have to look for another job.  We wouldn't have won leagues in the past without having managers who were able to persuade players that could easily play at a higher level that Falkirk was the place to be.  

47 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Your original argument had nothing to do with Wilson, again, you're using that to suit.

So, taking the 'he'd be better than Wilson' claim out of the equation, would you be happy to sign Spence now? As he's the man that's shown he can do it in this league he'd be signed as the main striker too as, based on what you've already said, the rest aren't going to be able to score the goals we need.

My original list was a list of players that had scored goals for fun at this level before to show that you didn't need to be up to much to score goals in this league in answer to people suggesting that we shouldn't be expecting a club in league one like us to be able to sign someone who will score a lot of goals in this league. My arguement didn't mention signing any of them you were the one that started to obsess about signing Spence for some reason considering I hadn't mentioned it and he was only one of a good number of players on that list. It was then that I said I would take him over Wilson any day.My original arguement still stands that why when past history shows that bang average players can score loads of goals at this level do some people  deem it a near impossible task for us to get someone in to do it? 

At present we know 2 of our strikers definitely won't get enough goals. Keena needs to be far more prolific and Ruth we have no idea how he'll do. Frankly I'd rather we had 3 that might just get us enough goals than 2 who might and 2 who definitely won't but that's just little old me.  

Edited by Shadwell Dog

32 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

My original list was a list of players that had scored goals for fun at this level before to show that you didn't need to be up to much to score goals in this league in answer to people suggesting that we shouldn't be expecting a club in league one like us to be able to sign someone who will score a lot of goals in this league. My arguement didn't mention signing any of them you were the one that started to obsess about signing Spence for some reason considering I hadn't mentioned it and he was only one of a good number of players on that list. It was then that I said I would take him over Wilson any day.My original arguement still stands that why when past history shows that bang average players can score loads of goals at this level do some people  deem it a near impossible task for us to get someone in to do it? 

At present we know 2 of our strikers definitely won't get enough goals. Keena needs to be far more prolific and Ruth we have no idea how he'll do. Frankly I'd rather we had 3 that might just get us enough goals than 2 who might and 2 who definitely won't but that's just little old me.  

Its a bold argument to make at the start of September that none of our strikers will hit 15 goals so we should be panic signing the likes of Greig Spence.  Especially when one of our strikers hasn't played a single game yet and we've only gone 1 game without scoring at least once.  

How many goals had Lyle Taylor or Rory Loy scored when they signed?  

Its still very possible 2 from Keena, Ruth and Morrison will score 15+ this season.  

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd hoped after Airdrie he'd kick on but it's still not happening for him unfortunately. Holding the ball up should be a basic skill of any striker surely. I thought we would be getting a fox in the box style striker when we got him. Player who has the instinct to know where the ball is going to end up.in the box but he never seems to be there when he needs to be.  They always say its not a problem if a striker is missing chances as at least he's getting in position to miss so goals will come but Keena doesn't even seem to get into the position to miss chances much in games unfortunately.

You don’t watch a lot of football do you? Holding up play isn’t a basic skill and plenty strikers in the top league can’t do it as it’s not their style of play. Part of the reason I don’t think he’s in the box at the right time is because he drops deep and ends up behind the three attacking mids when the ball goes into the box. Either that is how Sheerin is happy to play or he needs to adjust the style to get more goals from him. 

18 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Hopefully a 4-2-4 formation on Saturday against Alloa. All out attack from the start.

Martin
Miller Hall Dixon Mccann
Krasniqi Telfer
Morrison Keena Ruth Nesbitt

#YouScore2We'llScore9

Nah. I’d stick Mutch up top with Krasniqi as they’re both tall and can kick a ball

11 minutes ago, Rocco said:

You don’t watch a lot of football do you? Holding up play isn’t a basic skill and plenty strikers in the top league can’t do it as it’s not their style of play. Part of the reason I don’t think he’s in the box at the right time is because he drops deep and ends up behind the three attacking mids when the ball goes into the box. Either that is how Sheerin is happy to play or he needs to adjust the style to get more goals from him. 

I've watched football for years mate so don't start with that shite.. Holding up play is all about a decent first touch and using your body to protect the ball. It's a basic they teach you in any academy these days. The strikers that struggle to do that it's usually because their first touch is shite and in that case they really shouldn't be playing pro football in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Don’t think you’re to far away and interesting to see if Hetherington - Mutch come in.

I really hope that isn't the side. Nesbitt showed again on Saturday that he is so much more effective being played through the middle than stuck out wide like he was against queen's park. Feck me he's one of our best players we need to use him where he is most potent.