The Falkirk FC Thread

That  big lump Robert Jones who came on as a sub for Clyde and was utterly woeful tweeted to Wilson that he was a "top player" when he signed for us tells you everything. Utter jobbers. No doubt the text message read "How the f**k did you manage to blag a two year deal?" 

Edited by ebobsboy

1 hour ago, Its not only a game said:

Time will tell- will be interesting to see How Ruth performs at Falkirk( wish him well except against us) Vs Dowds at Arbroath- if Campbell gets him playing like old days at EF ( and unlike others on this forum Campbell rates him and he is doing a remarkable job re man management)will be interesting debate…but Agree days at Falkirk probably over- mind you with the two wingers you guys play who never pass the ball  early and feel its all about their stats- Harry Kane wouldnt get 15 goals ….but hey time will tell…

Dowds isn't a natural striker. And most certainly not a finisher he could get loads of service and still not score. I'm actually not sure what he is and tbh I don't think he knows himself. Said before he reminds me a bit of Sammon but without the pace. If anyone can get the best out him Campbell will. 

5 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Yeah Sheerin definitely dropped a bollock with Wilson, and Ompreon has the potential to get better or regress. Ruth SHOULD be better coming from Aberdeen but we once paid money for John Stewart 💩 who to be fair did score goals for the Aberdeen reserves he just looked absolutely out his depth in a Falkirk strip. 

John Stewart , what a horrific signing.

Oh and on top of that it seemed somewhat economical with the truth.

My car broke down, I left my phone at home and the dog ate my homework.....

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/13024/Stewart-I-didn-t-choose-to-miss-tribute

Time will tell- will be interesting to see How Ruth performs at Falkirk( wish him well except against us) Vs Dowds at Arbroath- if Campbell gets him playing like old days at EF ( and unlike others on this forum Campbell rates him and he is doing a remarkable job re man management)will be interesting debate…but Agree days at Falkirk probably over- mind you with the two wingers you guys play who never pass the ball  early and feel its all about their stats- Harry Kane wouldnt get 15 goals ….but hey time will tell…

Back to his old EF days, where he managed 6 goals in 32 games in League One? I’ve no idea if Ruth is any good or not but Dowds for me isn’t good enough for League One, never mind the Championship.

What’s this about two wingers we play who never pass the ball early because they feel it’s about their stats? What on earth does that mean?

Guest Back Post Misses

Holt has put his faith in Ruth. We have all been crying out for a CF to score goals this is the one to do that in his opinion.  Let’s see how the lad does. Pressure on Holt if he isn’t the player the team needs. I hope he plays Saturday because the strikers Keena included havent been good enough so far. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

10 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Its a ridiculous debate.  If we'd signed 36 year old Liam Buchanan this place would have (rightly) gone into meltdown.  

We had a lot of experience last year (Miller, Gomis, Sammon, L.Miller etc) and that didn't exactly work.  We've been screaming out for young, pacey fresh legs for the last 3 years and now have to give that a chance.  Confident Ruth will turn out well - if he doesn't then questions will arise over whether maybe all signings should be left to Holt instead of Sheerin...  😲

We signed a 38 year old Owen coyle and the world didn't end.  If he scores goals who the feck cares about his age.  We already have a team full of fresh legs now it's about getting the right balance FFS. We've just signed a guy who has one career league goal and have two guys that couldn't hit a barn door from 5 yards and yet we're slagging off a guy with 186.  I for one would still much rather have Buchanan or another experienced head as one of our options than Wilson or ompreon any day of the bloody week.  You need different options up front. We now have a young boy with  no history of goal scoring other than one goal for queen's park, a 22 year old who hasn't played more than 14 times in any one league season and two guys who wouldn't get a game for jossies feckin giants and yet we'd all go into melt down if we had an experienced option in there with a history of scoring goals.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

11 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I actually can't believe we are talking about Spence and Buchanan you'd be aswell bringing Di Vita back. Pleased we have got a striker in, but I hope there's also still another to come. If anything I hope it pushes Wilson out the first team picture altogether. Let's hope Sheerin starts with Ruth and Keena up top on Saturday see how we go. Also don't see Dowds coming back in January now that Ruth is here for the season. 

There's no chance another striker will come in.   We've got 4 and one on loan. They aren't going to admit they've made a complete howler by signing Wilson by bumping him out on loan just a few weeks after giving him a 2 year contract.

We signed Billy McKay who will be 33 nest month but the club know he will scores goals in the Championship.  Surely if the striker gets you goals it doesn't matter how old they are?

We all knew it anyway but Shadwell Dug is completely aff his rocker. 

Greig Spence in 2021 for a team supposedly going for the league title in league one. That's either insanity or a complete lack of knowledge.

200w.gif

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

We signed Billy McKay who will be 33 nest month but the club know he will scores goals in the Championship.  Surely if the striker gets you goals it doesn't matter how old they are?

It doesn't but if their age means they don't fit into how Sheerin would like his strikers to play then that's where the issue arises. Sheerin wants us to play a high press which starts from the front, very rare to see an older striker buzzing about the park harrying the defence. 

That being said I absolutely wouldn't mind an experienced striker on the bench to add something different in games we're struggling to break teams down.

11 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Yeah Sheerin definitely dropped a bollock with Wilson, and Ompreon has the potential to get better or regress. Ruth SHOULD be better coming from Aberdeen but we once paid money for John Stewart 💩 who to be fair did score goals for the Aberdeen reserves he just looked absolutely out his depth in a Falkirk strip. 

I'm sure Yogi called John Stewart the most natural goalscorer Aberdeen had ever had.

Duncan Shearer still raging to this day.

15 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Greig Spence in 2021 for a team supposedly going for the league title in league one. That's either insanity or a complete lack of knowledge.

200w.gif

It's both Neilly, both.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Holt has put his faith in Ruth. We have all been crying out for a CF to score goals this is the one to do that in his opinion.  Let’s see how the lad does. Pressure on Holt if he isn’t the player the team needs. I hope he plays Saturday because the strikers Keena included havent been good enough so far. 

I don’t agree with your comment on Keena. I actually think he’s been playing well in the system Sheerin wants to play. Of course we’d all like to see more goals from him but he’s been holding the ball up well and has also won us two penalties

50 minutes ago, Neilly said:

200w.gif

The old putting words in people's mouths pish is rife on here as is people floating in to topics and not reading any of the background. I used Spence as an example of how average a player can be and yet still get 15 to 20 goals in this mediocre league. Christ you should know as McGuigan managed it with stenny and he's the height of mediocrity.  I also said that even though he's not very good I'd still rather have him than Jaime Wilson . I at no point said yes let's base all our striking hopes on greig feckin Spence so stop making things up.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

30 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It doesn't but if their age means they don't fit into how Sheerin would like his strikers to play then that's where the issue arises. Sheerin wants us to play a high press which starts from the front, very rare to see an older striker buzzing about the park harrying the defence. 

That being said I absolutely wouldn't mind an experienced striker on the bench to add something different in games we're struggling to break teams down.

Jaime Wilson doesn't fit into any way we play as he's just shit.

45 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I don’t agree with your comment on Keena. I actually think he’s been playing well in the system Sheerin wants to play. Of course we’d all like to see more goals from him but he’s been holding the ball up well and has also won us two penalties

I'd hoped after Airdrie he'd kick on but it's still not happening for him unfortunately. Holding the ball up should be a basic skill of any striker surely. I thought we would be getting a fox in the box style striker when we got him. Player who has the instinct to know where the ball is going to end up.in the box but he never seems to be there when he needs to be.  They always say its not a problem if a striker is missing chances as at least he's getting in position to miss so goals will come but Keena doesn't even seem to get into the position to miss chances much in games unfortunately.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The old putting words in people's mouths pish is rife on here as is people floating in to topics and not reading any of the background. I used Spence as an example of how average a player can be and yet still get 15 to 20 goals in this mediocre league. Christ you should know as McGuigan managed it with stenny and he's the height of mediocrity.  I also said that even though he's not very good I'd still rather have him than Jaime Wilson . I at no point said yes let's base all our striking hopes on greig feckin Spence so stop making things up.

No, but, as you say, you used Spence as an example of someone that had already done it at this level, so why wouldn't you want 'Greig feckin Spence' now?

Also, I'm not sure that anyone claimed that you were basing all our striking hopes on him either, so stop making things up.