The Falkirk FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Thats a perfect description of a young player who is raw to these type of games. Give him a chance

We don't have time to give him a chance though that's the problem. We need to win this bloody league. Giving players a game to see if they can improve isn't really  feasible.  And I'm not sure we can afford to have a space in the squad for a raw project when weve already wasted a spot on Wilson.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Spence is decidedly average but I'd bet my house on him scoring more goals than Wilson and ompreon combined come may.  I'd much rather we'd taken a punt on him or someone of that ilk as a backup than those two Muppets . At least he's proven he can score at this level. Even the likes of Liam Buchanan would've been worth a punt over that pair. He's scored 22 goals when livi won league one and went 6 seasons on the trot scoring double figures in league one or above. Give him chances and even at 36 he'll stick the ball in the bloody net.  We should be creating a pile of chances all we need is someone to stick them away.  

Nah you’re getting way too carried away here. Spence isn’t average he’s fucking shite. There’s a reason he’s no got a team after he got punted by Stenny for being shite. He’s got 13 goals in his last 100 games and recently went 2 years without scoring a league goal. There is no denying that Wilson is rotten and should be nowhere near us but Spence most definitely isn’t anywhere near good enough either and quite rightly this thread would have been littered with laughter and seethe if we signed a curtain jerking jobber like Greig Spence.

20 minutes ago, Russ said:

Nah you’re getting way too carried away here. Spence isn’t average he’s fucking shite. There’s a reason he’s no got a team after he got punted by Stenny for being shite. He’s got 13 goals in his last 100 games and recently went 2 years without scoring a league goal. There is no denying that Wilson is rotten and should be nowhere near us but Spence most definitely isn’t anywhere near good enough either and quite rightly this thread would have been littered with laughter and seethe if we signed a curtain jerking jobber like Greig Spence.

There's better experienced players than Spence out there as I said. Someone like Buchanan would've been worth a punt. Scored loads of goals in the past and if we as we should can create loads of chances I reckon he's still got the football brain to get on the end of them. As I said my concern is that we have 4 strikers and not one of them has had one consistent season of scoring goals at any decent level.  An old head could only have been of benefit.Spence just highlights the standard of player that can score goals at this level though. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

And the rest of the team according to some.

I have yet to see ONE poster write the team off. The critics are saying we don’t have the firepower to win the league. Ruth will hopefully help in that department but as he is untried it’s hope rather then expectation. 

51 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There's better experienced players than Spence out there as I said. Someone like Buchanan would've been worth a punt. Scored loads of goals in the past and if we as we should can create loads of chances I reckon he's still got the football brain to get on the end of them. As I said my concern is that we have 4 strikers and not one of them has had one consistent season of scoring goals at any decent level.  An old head could only have been of benefit.Spence just highlights the standard of player that can score goals at this level though. 

I don’t think you realise how your posts have come across. By your reckoning, English Championship teams who need a goal scorer should be clambering over each other to sign Michu as he has proved once before that he can score a barrel load at a higher level. 

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

I have yet to see ONE poster write the team off. The critics are saying we don’t have the firepower to win the league. Ruth will hopefully help in that department but as he is untried it’s hope rather then expectation. 

I wasn't referring to posters on here, was referring to folk at the games.

4 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

I wasn't referring to posters on here, was referring to folk at the games.

At the risk of sounding even more arrogant than usual a great number of fans at the game have very little understanding of what they are watching and virtually no tactical knowledge.

Fairly even split between Happy Clappers and Jist Get It Up The Park Fawkurt types.

35 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I don’t think you realise how your posts have come across. By your reckoning, English Championship teams who need a goal scorer should be clambering over each other to sign Michu as he has proved once before that he can score a barrel load at a higher level. 

Once before? Buchanan has done it regularly throughout his career FFS.   Good strikers always know where the goal is.  John Baird is another I'd have taken in a minute if he was still in this country even though he's 36.   These kind of players won't score goals if you're a shit side but if we're a decent side creating chances they'll get a barrowload in this league. And their experience would be invaluable for an extremely inexperienced set of strikers.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Once before? Buchanan has done it regularly throughout his career FFS.   Good strikers always know where the goal is.  John Baird is another I'd have taken in a minute if he was still in this country even though he's 36.   These kind of players won't score goals if you're a shit side but if we're a decent side creating chances they'll get a barrowload in this league. And their experience would be invaluable for an extremely inexperienced set of strikers.

Only because it suits your argument Shadwell.

If we'd signed any of those jobbers and it didn't pay off you'd be shouting from the rooftops that 'we shouldn't be signing shite looking for their last pay day, we should be signing young, hungry players who would burst a a gut to succeed'.

Plus the fact that I'm sure you would be applauding Holt for managing to attract that level of player to the club - not!

17 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Only because it suits your argument Shadwell.

If we'd signed any of those jobbers and it didn't pay off you'd be shouting from the rooftops that 'we shouldn't be signing shite looking for their last pay day, we should be signing young, hungry players who would burst a a gut to succeed'.

Plus the fact that I'm sure you would be applauding Holt for managing to attract that level of player to the club - not!

What is it you have against signing a more experienced striker?  Can't do worse than ompreon and Wilson and it's worked before. I can't see why folk seem so dead against it considering how shite Wilson is especially. You need to have a balance of experience and youth.  We don't have that up front.   And I've being saying for a good season and a bit that we should be getting more players with experience in this league not as you put it just the now because it suits my arguement. And if you sign him as your 3rd or 4th striking option and it doesn't pay off at least you have the pay off of him passing on his experience to other players .  At the moment we've got no experience and 2 strikers that we can only hope will score enough goals to get us up as the other two certainly won't.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

24 minutes ago, Trump said:

Knew Greig Spence had a terrible goal record recently and I was ready to laugh Buchanan’s as well, surprisingly better goal record in league one, albeit from a few years ago.

Would still have been laughed at on here if we had signed him, and have to question why Alloa didn’t keep him on (genuinely don’t know).

Can't see him being the kind of striker alloa would need to fight off relegation in the championship.  Different though playing for the best side in league one who are creating a pile of chances . I wouldn't sign him as your number one hope but good to have an experienced head who knows what's needed to win this league and can pass on stuff to the young players. He was 32 when he scored 21 goals for livi in this league so he wasn't a spring chicken then either.

I actually can't believe we are talking about Spence and Buchanan you'd be aswell bringing Di Vita back. Pleased we have got a striker in, but I hope there's also still another to come. If anything I hope it pushes Wilson out the first team picture altogether. Let's hope Sheerin starts with Ruth and Keena up top on Saturday see how we go. Also don't see Dowds coming back in January now that Ruth is here for the season. 

Edited by ebobsboy

10 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I actually can't believe we are talking about Spence and Buchanan you'd be aswell bringing Di Vita back. Pleased we have got a striker in, but I hope there's also still another to come. If anything I hope it pushes Wilson out the first team picture altogether. Let's hope Sheerin starts with Ruth and Keena up top on Saturday see how we go. Also don't see Dowds coming back in January now that Ruth is here for the season. 

Time will tell- will be interesting to see How Ruth performs at Falkirk( wish him well except against us) Vs Dowds at Arbroath- if Campbell gets him playing like old days at EF ( and unlike others on this forum Campbell rates him and he is doing a remarkable job re man management)will be interesting debate…but Agree days at Falkirk probably over- mind you with the two wingers you guys play who never pass the ball  early and feel its all about their stats- Harry Kane wouldnt get 15 goals ….but hey time will tell…

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

"Good luck with the shower of jobbers we have signed. Outside the two full backs we have not improved the squad"
"
This squad couldn’t stuff a fucking turkey"
"I don’t need to watch them to see at the moment the squad is a mile off"

Hmmm...  😉

25 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Its a ridiculous debate.  If we'd signed 36 year old Liam Buchanan this place would have (rightly) gone into meltdown.  

We had a lot of experience last year (Miller, Gomis, Sammon, L.Miller etc) and that didn't exactly work.  We've been screaming out for young, pacey fresh legs for the last 3 years and now have to give that a chance.  Confident Ruth will turn out well - if he doesn't then questions will arise over whether maybe all signings should be left to Holt instead of Sheerin...  😲

Yeah Sheerin definitely dropped a bollock with Wilson, and Ompreon has the potential to get better or regress. Ruth SHOULD be better coming from Aberdeen but we once paid money for John Stewart 💩 who to be fair did score goals for the Aberdeen reserves he just looked absolutely out his depth in a Falkirk strip. 

Edited by ebobsboy