The Falkirk FC Thread

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As i said earlier which you obviously didn't bother reading I'm not advocating signing any of them at the moment I'm just again highlighting the level of player able to score a decent number of goals at this level as people keep on saying how difficult it is and how any striker able to score goals at this level is way out of our league.  Thats patently not true when you look at whose done extremely well in this league previously.

Of course I read it Shadwell, I hang on your every word, for entertainment value at least.

I'm wondering why you would be against Spence signing though given that he's scored regularly at this level and obviously knows the league very well. He's only 29 too so he's not past it by any means. As you say he's a level of player who's 'able to score a decent number of goals at this level', so why would you not advocate signing him?

13 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Of course I read it Shadwell, I hang on your every word, for entertainment value at least.

I'm wondering why you would be against Spence signing though given that he's scored regularly at this level and obviously knows the league very well. He's only 29 too so he's not past it by any means. As you say he's a level of player who's 'able to score a decent number of goals at this level', so why would you not advocate signing him?

As I said I wouldn't have been against us signing a Spence or a Buchanan as an option and to give experience before we signed ompreon and Wilson. I'd take the former two before that pair any day of the week although I think there are better experienced options out there than Spence. We did it with Owen coyle who was 38 when he signed and Andy thompson  was in his late 30s too.That boats sailed now in fact all our boats have sailed with Ruth signing.  Ruth, Keena and an experienced head would have been more preferable to me to Ruth , Keena, and two numpties but hey ho that's just me.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Caractacus Potts
14 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Ruth's goal against Arbroath for Aberdeen U20s on Saturday:

https://redtv.afc.co.uk/video/5841

Scored 8 minutes after coming on

Dowds played 90 minutes for Arbroath 

Decent strikers goal playing right down the middle. Scored in both Challenge Cup games so hopefully he’s high on confidence and hits the ground running. 

15 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Look at him attacking the front post😍 Absolutely hate it when teams only allow subscribers to watch their videos. 

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Ruth's contract with Aberdeen looks to expire next summer so it's a big year for him.

Having already had a pretty ineffectual loan spell at Arbroath he certainly needs to make this one count.  Got to think it's his last chance saloon to get that contract extended or to at least make sure he has decent offers on the table if Aberdeen decide against it.

26 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Is that fake crowd noise at the goal? Seems hell of a loud for the number of folk there.🤣

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

As I said I wouldn't have been against us signing a Spence or a Buchanan as an option and to give experience before we signed ompreon and Wilson. I'd take the former two before that pair any day of the week although I think there are better experienced options out there than Spence. We did it with Owen coyle who was 38 when he signed and Andy thompson  was in his late 30s too.That boats sailed now in fact all our boats have sailed with Ruth signing.  Ruth, Keena and an experienced head would have been more preferable to me to Ruth , Keena, and two numpties but hey ho that's just me.

Aye, right! You'd have been front and centre of the complaining committee!

2 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

The same manager that signed Jaime Wilson and Sammy Ompreon after seeing them on trial? Sorry, I call it as I see it.

Do we know if it was Holt who was 100% behind the above signings ?

In any case, I must have missed Sheerin spending years with Wilson and Omperon like he has with Ruth

11 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Aye, right! You'd have been front and centre of the complaining committee!

Why would I at all be against us signing a player like Buchanan  that has regularly scored goals at this level.  Would you not rather have an experienced head as an option up top instead of Wilson?  As I said it's worked great before so no reason it couldn't work again.  I wouldn't want all my hopes based on him but if you've got a young striker and Keena them an older head can only be a bonus.  We have bags of running in our side what we need is a player that knows how to play up front having done so for many years. Run the channels and stick the ball away when you get a chance.  We saw that with coyle and Thompson.  Sammy and Lee miller did the ground work for coyle just like Duffy did for Thompson. 

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Do we know if it was Holt who was 100% behind the above signings ?

In any case, I must have missed Sheerin spending years with Wilson and Omperon like he has with Ruth

He did spend years with Ross though and I'm not entirely convinced he's anything special. A squad player at best.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why would I at all be against us signing a player like Buchanan  that has regularly scored goals at this level.  Would you not rather have an experienced head as an option up top instead of Wilson?  As I said it's worked great before so no reason it couldn't work again.  I wouldn't want all my hopes based on him but if you've got a young striker and Keena them an older head can only be a bonus.  We have bags of running in our side what we need is a player that knows how to play up front having done so for many years. Run the channels and stick the ball away when you get a chance.  We saw that with coyle and Thompson.  Sammy and Lee miller did the ground work for coyle just like Duffy did for Thompson. 

Because it's what you do.

9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Because it's what you do.

And the majority of times in recent years I've been right to moan. I was against the Wilson transfer from the moment I heard he was on trial and got shot down. I don't mind putting my hand up and saying I'm wrong either. Wasn't overly impressed by the nesbitt signing but hes been great so far so far. Of course the fact he's woken up and smelled the coffee finally before he wasted his undoubted talent has made a huge difference for him. Glad in that case that it's us that benefits from it.

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

That's an upgrade than how you described Ross before he kicked a ball

As an extra body he's certainly better than Wilson. As I said 'at best' he's a squad player.Had hoped though that sheerin having been willing to spend money on him  would get a bit more out of him having worked with him for long enough.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Looks okay one minute and then like a little boy lost the next.  Great first touch to beat the full back and then a dreadful finish with the wrong foot on Saturday.  

Thats a perfect description of a young player who is raw to these type of games. Give him a chance

Supposedly played wide a lot on loan at Arbroath rather than up front, which probably explains his lack of goals from his time there.

Given young players tend to float about the pitch a bit before nailing down their strongest position, and the fact he's been given the no. 9 jersey would suggest Sheerin sees him more as a striker though.

I'd imagine our strongest front four will still be

Morrison Nesbitt McGuffie
Keena

But if Ruth can challenge for places/ give us a decent option off the bench then he'll be a good acquisition.