The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Identifying players means sod all if you can't get the signing over the line. Good managers and good dofs get signings over the line and that's why they  win championships. One excuse after another on here.  Players have been mentioned in triplicate on here FFS. Again it's only league feckin one we need a striker to get goals on not the champions bloody league. Mediocrity rules down here and yet we still find it impossible to get somebody competent enough to get a few goals at this level.

True and if we don’t get anyone over the line before the loan window closes then I’ll join you in pointing fingers. I’d like to think we’ll bring in a striker on loan better than the 2 we currently have in reserve and better than that list of dug meat you just produced. If not it could have a huge bearing on how this season plays out. 

4 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

What a fucking list that is 🤮

Everyone of them has scored over 15 goals in a season at league one level.  It just shows you you don't need to sign superstars just some one who knows where the goals are at this level. The fact we can't even do that is not good enough.

22 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Less so with Ompreon who really can legitimately cling to the “raw” tag, but I really struggle with the fact that Wilson convinced Sheerin he was worth a two month deal let alone two years.

I just cannot grasp how Sheerin got to the point where signing him even entered his head. Never did we think Sheerin was an emerging Scottish Pep, but equally I didn’t imagine he (or any other coach) would look at that laddie and think “aye, there’s a player there”.

Even at amateur level, I have seen many players better than Wilson. I think the club are broke, and unless we get a ridiculously benevolent loan, we’ll be racing the horse we brung.

I may be able to help you on that one.  We played Aberdeen last season in the Scottish Cup, and on the day we were a lot better than our league form whilst fortunately the Dons were exactly as dire as theirs.  Sheerin was the caretaker manager and as Wilson was one of our better performers I'm surmising that sowed some sort of mental seed, with mental being the operative word.  No harm to the lad but myself and many Sons fans were astonished when he signed for yourselves.

10 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

True and if we don’t get anyone over the line before the loan window closes then I’ll join you in pointing fingers. I’d like to think we’ll bring in a striker on loan better than the 2 we currently have in reserve and better than that list of dug meat you just produced. If not it could have a huge bearing on how this season plays out. 

We need one better than Keena not just the two backups.. Getting one better than the two in reserve could be done by asking anyone in the crowd to bring their boots next Saturday.  Bobby Linn scored 21 goals in a season at this level  a couple of years ago so I presume if he's dug meat then  the player we get in in will score even more than that.  Brilliant can't wait.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

So gloom and doom for us dominating v QP but Airdrie playing well but not creating v us is ok? How does that work? Was positives again yesterday and the majority seem to be able to see this as the home crowd at games has increased so far since 1st home game this season but come on here and you'd think we were terrible to watch and going further backwards. I can see negatives another striker would be fantastic but the almost constant we're bad, we're terrible, everyone else is better, this player's terrible, that player's terrible our manager's clueless etc on here is just depressing. 

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We need one better than Keena not just the two backups.. Getting one better than the two in reserve could be done by asking anyone in the crowd to bring their boots next Saturday.  Bobby Linn scored 21 goals in a season at this level  a couple of years ago so I presume if he's dug meat then  the player we get in in will score even more than that.  Brilliant can't wait.

Glad you’ve got something to look forward to 👍🏻

1 minute ago, knee jerk reaction said:

So gloom and doom for us dominating v QP but Airdrie playing well but not creating v us is ok? How does that work? Was positives again yesterday and the majority seem to be able to see this as the home crowd at games has increased so far since 1st home game this season but come on here and you'd think we were terrible to watch and going further backwards. I can see negatives another striker would be fantastic but the almost constant we're bad, we're terrible, everyone else is better, this player's terrible, that player's terrible our manager's clueless etc on here is just depressing. 

We're not terrible but the simple fact is if we don't get a competent striker in it won't bloody matter as we're going to be huffing and puffing our way through games this season . Its not fantastic it's necessary I'm afraid. Imagine Keena got injured Jesus wept.

Guest Back Post Misses
5 minutes ago, knee jerk reaction said:

The only person I am critical in this is Holt. He signs the players. He has been in the job since January and the best striker he could come up with is Wilson? Come on FFS wake up and smell the coffee. 
I have no doubt we are better to watch. I like the manager but he needs to tools to do the job. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Everyone of them has scored over 15 goals in a season at league one level.  It just shows you you don't need to sign superstars just some one who knows where the goals are at this level. The fact we can't even do that is not good enough.

Do you think we may be able to tempt any of them?

50 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Do you think we may be able to tempt any of them?

Theres no reason why we shouldn't be able to entice a player of that level to our club is there.  People keep saying strikers that score goals in league one are very difficult to come by but they aren't really when you look at that list. Anyway that ship has sailed. Can't wait to see what Holt comes up with now 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Theres no reason why we shouldn't be able to entice a player of that level to our club is there.  People keep saying strikers that score goals in league one are very difficult to come by but they aren't really when you look at that list. Anyway that ship has sailed. Can't wait to see what Holt comes up with now 

Who would be your preferred signing? Some of them are getting on a bit but Spence is still quite young I think. Who does he play for now?

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Please fucking god no. I refuse to believe we are actually discussing Greig fucking Spence as a potential signing.

But he's only 29 and he's done it before. Presumably playing for us he'd easily get 25 goals! He fits the profile.

14 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Who would be your preferred signing? Some of them are getting on a bit but Spence is still quite young I think. Who does he play for now?

As i said earlier which you obviously didn't bother reading I'm not advocating signing any of them at the moment I'm just again highlighting the level of player able to score a decent number of goals at this level as people keep on saying how difficult it is and how any striker able to score goals at this level is way out of our league.  Thats patently not true when you look at whose done extremely well in this league previously.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

12 hours ago, Russ said:

Please fucking god no. I refuse to believe we are actually discussing Greig fucking Spence as a potential signing.

Spence is decidedly average but I'd bet my house on him scoring more goals than Wilson and ompreon combined come may.  I'd much rather we'd taken a punt on him or someone of that ilk as a backup than those two Muppets . At least he's proven he can score at this level. Even the likes of Liam Buchanan would've been worth a punt over that pair. He's scored 22 goals when livi won league one and went 6 seasons on the trot scoring double figures in league one or above. Give him chances and even at 36 he'll stick the ball in the bloody net.  We should be creating a pile of chances all we need is someone to stick them away.  

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I have actually enjoyed watching us for the most part this season. However, without a proper striker, another season in the Seaside Leagues beckons.

As SD stated ...if Keena gets injured we are in the big pooh. Even then he is not the most prolific of scorers. As it stands we have to rely on Telfer, Morrison, Nesbitt and Dixon to get our goals.

It pains me to say this, but we should possibly have kept Dowds as he is better than what we have on the bench.  We should also have spent the cash we use on Holt(Jnr), Omperon and Wilson to splash out out on someone half decent who is coming in for (at least) one season with the sole aim to get us promoted. Money talks and I'm sure a half decent striker would respond to the money.

Another season in Div 3 would be a disaster for the club.

32 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

What about going for the big baldly Irish boy at Alloa, he’s scored plenty at a higher level…

He's an example of what's been wrong with our recruitment in recent seasons.  We should be targeting strikers that know what this league is about and have scored goals at this level not players that think league one will be an easy shift.