The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

There was loads of strikers out of contract at the end of last season. We could've gone to any of them and said look here's more money to play for us next season just like we did for nesbitt. I've already mentioned two I think would've scored goals for fun in league one but no let's go with a couple of complete Muppets.

All these excuses being bandied about on here. If you want to win leagues you get it done it's as simple as that.  When McCall came in we had just about got relegated from the championship but he managed to get the best team in the league by a mile signed up  despite our lowly status at the time.  

The successful teams get the players they need in one way or the other. If you can't then you ain't going anywhere it's as simple as that.

Remind me.

Thought Falkirk were impressive for most of the first half yesterday, used the ball really well and you could see they were well coached. An absolute nightmare defensively in the second half, but for some rotten finishing we could have scored 6 or 7.

Wilson looked like one of the worst players I've ever seen. The chance when he stumbled his way through one-on-one only to run it out for a goal kick summed him up.

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Remind me.

The two boys Raith freed I reckon would've got a fair few at this level.  Too many getting carried  away with people's goal ratios at higher levels when all we should be concerned about is league one.  As I said previously I'd take Michael moffat over those two haddies we signed too.  We're not looking for a world beaters here.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Thought Falkirk were impressive for most of the first half yesterday, used the ball really well and you could see they were well coached. An absolute nightmare defensively in the second half, but for some rotten finishing we could have scored 6 or 7.

Wilson looked like one of the worst players I've ever seen. The chance when he stumbled his way through one-on-one only to run it out for a goal kick summed him up.

If his left leg was of any use he might have scored their but his attempt to beat the keeper with the outside of his right was never going to come off. Thought our young boys that came in did well but we're never going to be enough to beat even a weakened Killie side.  Good run out for them and also showed that a number of our other second string players are nowhere near good enough.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

13 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Using Goodwillie as an example of some sort of coup Clyde managed and we missed out on is embarrassing. 

Exactly.Silly example when there's so many others you could use in recent years.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

7 minutes ago, GeordieBairn said:

Sheerin sounding a bit more worried about the squad in that interview. Think we really need some movement in the next week. A few who played yesterday just wont cut it in the slightest.

Yes. Agreed.

Its so refreshing to hear an accurate account of the game rather than the rubbish spouted by his predecessors.

33 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

How dare we think that a team like Falkirk could ever manage to sign a Bobby Linn, Alan Trouten, Liam Buchanan, greig Spence, Iain Russell or a mark McGuigan. All superstars way out of our reach.  Far too much to ask to get someone of those levels.

The seethe if we had signed any of they jobbers in the summer would’ve been next level. 

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I’d managed to forget all about that dick going through on goal in the second half. It genuinely went from laughter that he’d somehow managed to beat a man and through in goal to fucking rage when he meekly chucked his big toe at it and put it 10 yards wide. 

He had the cheek to look angry and confused when he got hooked off as well. f**k me he’s horrendous.

13 minutes ago, Russ said:

The seethe if we had signed any of they jobbers in the summer would’ve been next level. 

I wasn't suggesting we signed any of them I was simply pointing out again  the level of player that has been able to score a pile of goals at this level. Some folk seem to think you need to be Pele to get 15 goals in league one.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

The main positive in the last two defeats is it has highlighted how woefully light the squad is on the wings and up front. And Sheerin can address it now rather than us limping on and struggling later in the season.

Saying that, we won't face a team as strong in League 1 as Killie were on Saturday.

From yesterday's showing Ompreon may yet contribute something this season, but every time I see Wilson he just looks even more shite than the game before, if that is even possible. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when he actually got on the ball and went by a Killie defender, before an absolutely woeful attempt at scoring righted the balance in the universe again.

Glad to hear that McKay (who looked very assured) was deliberately only given 45 minutes yesterday for fitness and Williamson is nearly back too. Morrison being left out hopefully just precautionary. 

A couple more additions and we'll be absolutely fine 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

The "same guys demanding a proven striker" aren't paid 40 - 50k a year to do that job, Holt is. With his length of time in the game and contacts, plus his boast that he is able to identify 3 players for each position, means that he should be doing his job and getting us those players and earning his salary.

Edit: Sorry Back Post Misses just saw your post saying exactly the same, my apologies.

I am aware that Gary Holt comes across like an absolute bellend but are you just overlooking the fact that we identified Paton and McManus but were unable to get them?

Im also aware that Gary Holt is being paid to do the job and if we don’t bring in a couple of decent loan signings then questions should be asked and fingers should be pointed. I’m with you on that 100%. 

Finally, I’m not asking you, BPM, Shadwell and the rest of the “it’s not my job brigade” to sign anyone. We are all fans and I’m asking for you to provide suggestions on a fans forum rather than just continually going round in circles. I’m intrigued to know who you think we should sign cos the names mentioned so far are either pie in the sky or absolutely barking. 

Wilson isn’t the best striker at this level, but he did have some good games for us and scored some really nice goals. I’d say in about a third of his games he looked quite handy and in the rest he looked out his depth. I’m still astounded Falkirk took a punt on him given their ambitions and the fact he wasn’t even remotely a standout for us.

In his defence he was playing in the worst Sons team I’ve ever had the misfortune of watching (and I’ve seen a few real stinkers over the years) who were deploying tactics that didn’t suit any form of attacker whatsoever. Any attacking player playing under Jim Duffy last season was never going to have a particularly great season. I actually think he’d provide decent backup in our current squad.

In short - he’s never a full-time footballer at any level but could potentially prove a handy enough backup striker for a part-time side at this level. 

7 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

I am aware that Gary Holt comes across like an absolute bellend but are you just overlooking the fact that we identified Paton and McManus but were unable to get them?

Im also aware that Gary Holt is being paid to do the job and if we don’t bring in a couple of decent loan signings then questions should be asked and fingers should be pointed. I’m with you on that 100%. 

Finally, I’m not asking you, BPM, Shadwell and the rest of the “it’s not my job brigade” to sign anyone. We are all fans and I’m asking for you to provide suggestions on a fans forum rather than just continually going round in circles. I’m intrigued to know who you think we should sign cos the names mentioned so far are either pie in the sky or absolutely barking. 

Identifying players means sod all if you can't get the signing over the line. Good managers and good dofs get signings over the line and that's why they  win championships. One excuse after another on here.  Players have been mentioned in triplicate on here FFS. Again it's only league feckin one we need a striker to get goals on not the champions bloody league. Mediocrity rules down here and yet we still find it impossible to get somebody competent enough to get a few goals at this level.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Wilson isn’t the best striker at this level, but he did have some good games for us and scored some really nice goals. I’d say in about a third of his games he looked quite handy and in the rest he looked out his depth. I’m still astounded Falkirk took a punt on him given their ambitions and the fact he wasn’t even remotely a standout for us.

In his defence he was playing in the worst Sons team I’ve ever had the misfortune of watching (and I’ve seen a few real stinkers over the years) who were deploying tactics that didn’t suit any form of attacker whatsoever. Any attacking player playing under Jim Duffy last season was never going to have a particularly great season. I actually think he’d provide decent backup in our current squad.

In short - he’s never a full-time footballer at any level but could potentially prove a handy enough backup striker for a part-time side at this level. 

On his showings so far he's non league at best. He's honked the place out every time hes played.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

How dare we think that a team like Falkirk could ever manage to sign a Bobby Linn, Alan Trouten, Liam Buchanan, greig Spence, Iain Russell or a mark McGuigan. All superstars way out of our reach.  Far too much to ask to get someone of those levels.

What a fucking list that is 🤮