The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That's when you need a dof and manager that can sell the club to people.  Facilities are far better than most and you're playing in front of 3 to 4 k a week.  At the end of the day it'll always be about money in the main so we should have  ensured that we had a decent part of the budget set aside for a striker.  We don't need ompreon or Wilson so if money is being used up on them instead of a second striker then it's feckin ludicrous. To me with us playing one up top we'd get away with only having two decent strikers on the books until January anyway. At the moment we've got 3 but 2 of them aren't adding anything.

Who would you have signed if it's that easy? Ompreon I'm undecided on yet as he hasn't really had that much game time and I never bothered watching yesterday's game. Wilson I think we can all agree is absolutely rotten and that's on Sheerin for not identifying that after his trial.

We're far more likely to get a better calibre of striker now that the premiership teams have topped up their squads as Rocco has been mentioning. If you look back on the last few seasons our stand out strikers were Rudden & Mcmanus who both came in on loan late in the day from premiership clubs. I'd imagine we were in for Ollie Shaw but we're not really in any position to compete with Kilmarnock as like it or not they are a much more attractive prospect than us.

23 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Who would you have signed if it's that easy? Ompreon I'm undecided on yet as he hasn't really had that much game time and I never bothered watching yesterday's game. Wilson I think we can all agree is absolutely rotten and that's on Sheerin for not identifying that after his trial.

We're far more likely to get a better calibre of striker now that the premiership teams have topped up their squads as Rocco has been mentioning. If you look back on the last few seasons our stand out strikers were Rudden & Mcmanus who both came in on loan late in the day from premiership clubs. I'd imagine we were in for Ollie Shaw but we're not really in any position to compete with Kilmarnock as like it or not they are a much more attractive prospect than us.

McManus signed in the middle of July  which is hardly a late loan deal. Even rudden came in before the transfer window shut.  In neither case we're we pissing about in the middle of September still looking for a forward. 

Raith released two boys I'd have had a look at.  I reckon both could have scored a good few at this level.  Reilly who went to Morton.  Doesn't have to be a regular scorer at champ level to get quite a few in league. The bod need to provide the money also to get these players in .  But at the moment we seem happy to fling money at ceo's, dofs and other offield post but not a striker.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

No evidence apart from the actual games which I guess you're still not bothering to watch.  

Not much between us and Airdrie?  A team we beat with 10 men whose other league results have been a 3 nil defeat to Montrose, a hard fought 3 points against Peterhead and a draw with Dumbarton.  I mean honestly.. 

I'm not saying we're not going to drop points but on the evidence of the games so far we're the best team in the league.  Yes, we need a striker (thats obvious) and we need to steer clear of injuries to our best players but at this moment in time we're not watching M&M or McKinnon standards of sh*te.  My opinion may change if we descend into that but can only go on the league games I've seen so far and I've seen nothing to suggest QP or Cove are "miles" better than us as one poster keeps belting out.  

I have seen Airdrie away and Cove away. I will be at Alloa next Saturday. 
Airdrie were the better side until we scored and dominated after Hetherington got stupidly sent off and we were fortunate to win IMO. 
Where have I said QP or Cove are miles better? Go find that quote? You are the one making to stupid predictions we will will this comfortably when there is absolutely no evidence that will happen with the current strike force being as average as it is. 

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

McManus signed in the middle of July  which is hardly a late loan deal. Even rudden came in before the transfer window shut.  In neither case we're we pissing about in the middle of September still looking for a forward. 

Raith released two boys I'd have had a look at.  I reckon both could have scored a good few at this level.  Reilly who went to Morton.  Doesn't have to be a regular scorer at champ level to get quite a few in league. The bod need to provide the money also to get these players in . 

We've signed 15 players this summer with just one of them being a loan deal in Krasniqi I don't think we can say the BOD haven't provided funds for signings. Ugwu got 5 goals in total for a Raith team who really weren't short on goals last season so I don't think he was a prime candidate for our 15 goal a season striker.   Duku got 10 in total but again only 5 in the league. Either obviously would have been better options than Jaime Wilson but not the main striker we've been seeking. 

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I've not missed your point we shouldn't be identifying 7 months ago we should be signing them. I could identify Lukaku as a decent option but there's feck all chance of us getting him. You get the player you want signed up on a pre contract just like we did with nesbitt.  Offer them a better financial package. If we can knock back half a million pounds worth of investment we must have a decent amount of cash in the budget for a striker. If we don't then Rawlins needs to get his wallet out.

Name one decent striker who was available on a pre contract? I’ll make it easy for you, the answer is zero

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Rocco said:

I’m sorry but again your living in a fantasy land. You constantly spout your opinion without any common sense. We are in league 1! We were never going to get a striker of decent quality months ago. We were always going to have to rely on a loan for a striker and that means you need to wait till the teams higher up have their squads sorted. We signed Wilson and Ompreon earlier in the window because that’s the sort of quality that are available at that stage. 

Holt now needs to pull it out the bag and find a striker but he was never going to manage to bring them in months ago. 

Queens Park got Simon Murray in Div 4. Clyde got Goodwillie in Div 4 and Cove got Megginson in the HL. Falkirk of course are never going to get a decent striker in DIv 3. 

Guest Back Post Misses
16 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Name one decent striker who was available on a pre contract? I’ll make it easy for you, the answer is zero

What utter drivel. Holt has access to all the contracts from all clubs up and down the country. To say not one was available is just rubbish 

16 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Queens Park got Simon Murray in Div 4. Clyde got Goodwillie in Div 4 and Cove got Megginson in the HL. Falkirk of course are never going to get a decent striker in DIv 3. 

Murray is a fair enough shout but that was last season and I’d guess they will be paying him silly wages. We all know why Goodwillie is at Clyde so that’s a terrible argument to use. Megginson wants part time football, so how can we compete with that. Name me one striker another team in this league he signed this season that you’d take as your main striker? 

We need to find a striker but it’s nowhere near as easy as some of you like to make out. 

Edited by Rocco

12 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

What utter drivel. Holt has access to all the contracts from all clubs up and down the country. To say not one was available is just rubbish 

One that will get us 15 goals and wants to come to us? I’m pretty sure they’d be snapped up by other teams if they were available

Guest Back Post Misses
30 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Murray is a fair enough shout but that was last season and I’d guess they will be paying him silly wages. We all know why Goodwillie is at Clyde so that’s a terrible argument to use. Megginson wants part time football, so how can we compete with that. Name me one striker another team in this league he signed this season that you’d take as your main striker? 

We need to find a striker but it’s nowhere near as easy as some of you like to make out. 

We are a full time team with the largest support by a long way and paying good money at this level. It is not my job to identify this striker - the club pay Gary Holt 50k+ to find him - why not go ask him? 

This is painful to read the same guys demanding a proven striker then can’t name a suitable one when asked. Megginson - part time living up north…not an option. 
Goodwillie - not an option. 
Murray - Good signing for them just like McManus was for us at the time. At the moment not an option.

I believe we identified McManus and Paton, both would have been good additions but we were outbid. I believe we will now bring 1 or 2 in on loan and they could make or break our season.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, a good striker wins us the league. If not it’s gona be a close run thing. 

28 minutes ago, JulioBairn said:

This is painfull to read the same guys demanding a proven striker then can’t name a suitable one when asked. Megginson - part time living up north…not an option. 
Goodwillie - not an option. 
Murray - Good signing for them just like McManus was for us at the time. At the moment not an option.

I believe we identified McManus and Paton, both would have been good additions but we were outbid. I believe we will now bring 1 or 2 in on loan and they could make or break our season.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, a good striker wins us the league. If not it’s gona be a close run thing. 

The "same guys demanding a proven striker" aren't paid 40 - 50k a year to do that job, Holt is. With his length of time in the game and contacts, plus his boast that he is able to identify 3 players for each position, means that he should be doing his job and getting us those players and earning his salary.

Edit: Sorry Back Post Misses just saw your post saying exactly the same, my apologies.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

We've signed 15 players this summer with just one of them being a loan deal in Krasniqi I don't think we can say the BOD haven't provided funds for signings. Ugwu got 5 goals in total for a Raith team who really weren't short on goals last season so I don't think he was a prime candidate for our 15 goal a season striker.   Duku got 10 in total but again only 5 in the league. Either obviously would have been better options than Jaime Wilson but not the main striker we've been seeking. 

That's in the championship we're not in the fecking championship. McManus has never scored double figures in the championship yet would've been close to 25/30 in a full season with us in league one. You'd presumably not want him either. It's someone who can score goals in the seaside league I'm not giving a cream puff what they can do at a higher level.  

Guest Back Post Misses
53 minutes ago, Dabber said:

Give them a break... these lads deserve a chance.  Its support they need not criticism 

Hiya Gary, Hiya pal 

All the talk about whether Falkirk should be able to attract players here as against players going to say a Championship club, I’m reminded of the story that Sir Alex Ferguson tells about the advice that the late, great Jock Stein gave him when he was deciding whether to stay with East Stirlingshire or take the job at St. Mirren.

“He had not really wanted the job. He had prevaricated. Was this really the big opportunity that the 32-year-old Ferguson craved? The average attendances at Love Street were barely into four figures before his arrival. He had to be convinced of the potential of this struggling football club in Paisley, then a poverty-stricken town on the outskirts of Glasgow.

“Everything about the club was run down,” he would later explain.

Ferguson turned to Jock Stein for help. The legendary Celtic boss offered advice that might have seemed cryptic but soon became clear. He instructed Ferguson to visit the highest seat in the house at current club East Stirling and then repeat the exercise at St Mirren’s larger but often sparsely attended Love Street ground. The decision would be obvious, he said.

Ferguson made the move. He saw the potential".

This is what we need to sell any player that we approach, our potential. And in addition, our ground and facilities are far from run down. Aidan Nesbitt said that when he compared what was on offer at Morton in the way of crowds, facilities etc. compared to what Falkirk had to offer, it was a no-brainer to sign for us. Even if he was dropping down a league.

I know that it applies more to signed players rather than loanees but if you can offer them the chance to play in front of 4,000 instead of 1,500, hopefully that would give them a feel good factor.

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

One that will get us 15 goals and wants to come to us? I’m pretty sure they’d be snapped up by other teams if they were available

It's all about money at the end of the day. We quite rightly paid mcmanus's wages in full to get him in but it seems we are unwilling to do that to get a better level of striker in this season. 

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

There was loads of strikers out of contract at the end of last season. We could've gone to any of them and said look here's more money to play for us next season just like we did for nesbitt. I've already mentioned two I think would've scored goals for fun in league one but no let's go with a couple of complete Muppets.

All these excuses being bandied about on here. If you want to win leagues you get it done it's as simple as that.  When McCall came in we had just about got relegated from the championship but he managed to get the best team in the league by a mile signed up  despite our lowly status at the time.  

The successful teams get the players they need in one way or the other. If you can't then you ain't going anywhere it's as simple as that.