The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

3 of which were penalties.  Morrison has scored more from open play.  

Again not saying we don't need another striker but the manic desire of some on here to make out we're worse than Cove & QP have been so far is baffling.  

Out of interest who said QP and Cove are better than us ??

11 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Joint second on points, joint third on goals scored behind Cove and Montrose and joint second on goals conceded behind Queens Park. Already dropped 4 points out of 15.

We may be the most entertaining to watch but there is nothing yet to say we are the best in the league. 

As I said too we are worse off than at this point last season and will remain so unless we win our next 4 matches. 

Only if you choose to wilfully ignore the fact that we've played the supposed Top 3 rivals.  Cove after 0 days training post Covid, Airdrie where we strolled it until going down to 10 men and still won and QP where we completely outplayed them and are unlikely to be so unlucky over another 90mins this season.   

Also we still haven't managed to start a game with more than 2 of our first choice back 4 who we know will improve us further.  

Of course none of this is a guarantee we'll stroll the league but judging the games and teams so far, what exactly do you fear about QP & Cove so much?  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Out of interest who said QP and Cove are better than us ??

Everyone who is disagreeing that on form so far we are the best team in the league.  Unless its Montrose of course we all think are far better which there may actually be more of an argument for given we haven't played them yet.  

22 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

3 of which were penalties.  Morrison has scored more from open play.  

Again not saying we don't need another striker but the manic desire of some on here to make out we're worse than Cove & QP have been so far is baffling.  

Morrison isn't a striker and experience tells you he won't score 15 to 20 goals for us this season.  Keena isn't exactly prolific and the other two will be lucky if they score a single goal between them.  We'll continue to struggle in tight games the longer we go without a striker and now this late in the day there's not exactly a lot of options out there. It should've been the priority in the summer and sorted months ago as we are now dropping points a decent striker would win for us.  I'm fed up with us scrabbling about for important players once the season has started . We should have our first 11 sorted by then and just be adding the final touches at this stage. Not looking for a No1 striker .

20 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Only if you choose to wilfully ignore the fact that we've played the supposed Top 3.  Cove after 0 days training post Covid, Airdrie where we strolled it until going down to 10 men and still won and QP where we completely outplayed them and are unlikely to be so unlucky over another 90mins this season.   

Also we still haven't managed to start a game with more than 2 of our first choice back 4 who we know will improve us further.  

Of course none of this is a guarantee we'll stroll the league but judging the games and teams so far, what exactly do you fear about QP & Cove so much?  

We never at any point strolled it against Airdrie. We had a great ten mins spell in the first half otherwise Airdrie were the better side whilst not creating an awful lot.  We won that match because our striker turned up and scored a fantastic goal. If he was doing that regularly we wouldn't be in such a desperate need of another strker but he isn't unfortunately.

Guest Caractacus Potts
39 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Only if you choose to wilfully ignore the fact that we've played the supposed Top 3 rivals.  Cove after 0 days training post Covid, Airdrie where we strolled it until going down to 10 men and still won and QP where we completely outplayed them and are unlikely to be so unlucky over another 90mins this season.   

Don’t fear them but not as willing to write them off particularly when we’ve played both and only came away with 1 point. As I have said previously I don’t buy in to the no training narrative as to affecting our result. We had one of our best performances against them but as has been evident in other matches we couldn’t capitalise on our dominance.

As for the Airdrie game, we dominated for 10 minutes and even before we had a man sent off began to run out of ideas. 

Williamson could be key for us in finding an end result to Sheerin’s style but I would need to wait and see before I would start considering us as capable of walking the league .

28 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Morrison isn't a striker and experience tells you he won't score 15 to 20 goals for us this season.  Keena isn't exactly prolific and the other two will be lucky if they score a single goal between them.  We'll continue to struggle in tight games the longer we go without a striker and now this late in the day there's not exactly a lot of options out there. It should've been the priority in the summer and sorted months ago as we are now dropping points a decent striker would win for us.  I'm fed up with us scrabbling about for important players once the season has started . We should have our first 11 sorted by then and just be adding the final touches at this stage. Not looking for a No1 striker .

I’m sorry but again your living in a fantasy land. You constantly spout your opinion without any common sense. We are in league 1! We were never going to get a striker of decent quality months ago. We were always going to have to rely on a loan for a striker and that means you need to wait till the teams higher up have their squads sorted. We signed Wilson and Ompreon earlier in the window because that’s the sort of quality that are available at that stage. 

Holt now needs to pull it out the bag and find a striker but he was never going to manage to bring them in months ago. 

21 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I’m sorry but again your living in a fantasy land. You constantly spout your opinion without any common sense. We are in league 1! We were never going to get a striker of decent quality months ago. We were always going to have to rely on a loan for a striker and that means you need to wait till the teams higher up have their squads sorted. We signed Wilson and Ompreon earlier in the window because that’s the sort of quality that are available at that stage. 

Holt now needs to pull it out the bag and find a striker but he was never going to manage to bring them in months ago. 

He's had 7 months to do it.  You need to get in early. We got nesbitt because we got in early ffs. There's been players floating about but we've pished money down the drain on two muppets  when those wages could've been far better spent elsewhere. We aren't looking for a superstar here it's league one. Any full time striker with a bit of ability should be able to score goals at this level especially in our side.  Numerous teams over the years have managed it on far smaller budgets than we have in this league. I've already highlighted previously  the mediocre players that have managed to score a decent number of goals at this level in recent times.  It's not as if you'd have to break the bank for any of them. Bobby Linn got 21 a couple of seasons ago FFS. There are players out there Holt just needs to get his finger out but at this stage I'd be amazed if he uncovers anyone even with a loan signing . Christ even a clown like McKinnon managed it.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

33 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Enough said about the strikers, managers often don’t get it right with all signings unfortunately we’ve signed two duds for the CF slot.

Still think Sheerin has identified targets and will strengthen the squad, and although we’re not Barca or PSG the football we’re watching is very decent and no comparison to the shite we’ve endured for a long time.

No excuse when you've had them on trial for weeks. Frankly that's not doing your job right having players on trial  and signing them when they are that hopeless.  Why bother with a trial your aswell just signing them and hoping for the best.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

57 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Everyone who is disagreeing that on form so far we are the best team in the league.  Unless its Montrose of course we all think are far better which there may actually be more of an argument for given we haven't played them yet.  

I think at this stage, we might be mistaking form for eye test?

31 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Don’t fear them but not as willing to write them off particularly when we’ve played both and only came away with 1 point. As I have said previously I don’t buy in to the no training narrative as to affecting our result. We had one of our best performances against them but as has been evident in other matches we couldn’t capitalise on our dominance.

As for the Airdrie game, we dominated for 10 minutes and even before we had a man sent off began to run out of ideas. 

Williamson could be key for us in finding an end result to Sheerin’s style but I would need to wait and see before I would start considering us as capable of walking the league .

The problem with Williamson and by the looks of things Mackay is that they can hardly seem to get through a single game without getting injured. Williamson is a major concern as he seemed to spend a lot of time at thistle crocked  and we haven't got anyone as backup that you'd want playing more than a couple of games.

Guest Caractacus Potts
14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The problem with Williamson and by the looks of things Mackay is that they can hardly seem to get through a single game without getting injured. Williamson is a major concern as he seemed to spend a lot of time at thistle crocked  and we haven't got anyone as backup that you'd want playing more than a couple of games.

The one thing I worry with Williamson is why Partick let him go. If it’s for injuries as you say then the signs aren’t good so far. 

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He's had 7 months to do it.  You need to get in early. We got nesbitt because we got in early ffs. There's been players floating about but we've pished money down the drain on two muppets  when those wages could've been far better spent elsewhere. We aren't looking for a superstar here it's league one. Any full time striker with a bit of ability should be able to score goals at this level especially in our side.  Numerous teams over the years have managed it on far smaller budgets than we have in this league. I've already highlighted previously  the mediocre players that have managed to score a decent number of goals at this level in recent times.  It's not as if you'd have to break the bank for any of them. Bobby Linn got 21 a couple of seasons ago FFS. There are players out there Holt just needs to get his finger out but at this stage I'd be amazed if he uncovers anyone even with a loan signing . Christ even a clown like McKinnon managed it.

I could see your point if there were strikers teams in this division had just signed over the summer that we should have been signing but none of them have. Blair Lyons/Kyle Connell are maybe exceptions but again they aren't exactly guaranteed to score you 15 goals this season. 

We're at the bottom of the barrel in terms of full time clubs so we're not exactly an attractive proposition so we'll have been losing out on players left right and centre. A goalscorer is the hardest position on the park to recruit as everyone's looking for one and normally when someone has them they don't let them go easily.

12 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

The one thing I worry with Williamson is why Partick let him go. If it’s for injuries as you say then the signs aren’t good so far. 

Think it was as much to do with him not being so good defensively than anything else. McCall alluded to that in an interview. Said they could have kept him as he's great going forward but he felt he needed to work on the defensive aspect of his game, and they were bringing in another right back. 

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I could see your point if there were strikers teams in this division had just signed over the summer that we should have been signing but none of them have. Blair Lyons/Kyle Connell are maybe exceptions but again they aren't exactly guaranteed to score you 15 goals this season. 

We're at the bottom of the barrel in terms of full time clubs so we're not exactly an attractive proposition so we'll have been losing out on players left right and centre. A goalscorer is the hardest position on the park to recruit as everyone's looking for one and normally when someone has them they don't let them go easily.

That's when you need a dof and manager that can sell the club to people.  Facilities are far better than most and you're playing in front of 3 to 4 k a week.  At the end of the day it'll always be about money in the main so we should have  ensured that we had a decent part of the budget set aside for a striker.  We don't need ompreon or Wilson so if money is being used up on them instead of a second striker then it's feckin ludicrous. To me with us playing one up top we'd get away with only having two decent strikers on the books until January anyway. At the moment we've got 3 but 2 of them aren't adding anything.

41 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You’ve missed my point. He maybe did identify strikers 7 months ago but we will be quite a bit down the pecking order so we’ve probably been beaten to a lot of players by teams higher up. We got lucky with McManus. It’s not often players like that are willing to drop two divisions. 

1 minute ago, Rocco said:

You’ve missed my point. He maybe did identify strikers 7 months ago but we will be quite a bit down the pecking order so we’ve probably been beaten to a lot of players by teams higher up. We got lucky with McManus. It’s not often players like that are willing to drop two divisions. 

I've not missed your point we shouldn't be identifying 7 months ago we should be signing them. I could identify Lukaku as a decent option but there's feck all chance of us getting him. You get the player you want signed up on a pre contract just like we did with nesbitt.  Offer them a better financial package. If we can knock back half a million pounds worth of investment we must have a decent amount of cash in the budget for a striker. If we don't then Rawlins needs to get his wallet out.