The Falkirk FC Thread

Thought we played pretty well in the first half but seemed to fizzle out in the second.

Ompreon clearly has some ability but too often his first touch and passing lets him down. Wilson on the other hand offers very little. 

Lemon I thought was quite solid at centre half and seems confortable passing out from the back. I’d rather have him playing than Hall even though he’s more left sided.

All in all I think we’ll be in big trouble if players like Keena, Morrison, Nesbitt and Telfer are out for any period as their replacements are nowhere near the same level.

11 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Our 3 strikers will struggle to get 20 league goals between then !!

Think you are being extremely generous with that tbh. We appear to be almost wholly reliant on Morrison and Nesbitt for both creativity and goals. Simply not enough. You'd have to be extremely fortunate to win a league with a collection of strikers who simply never score a goal. Desperately need another two forward options, at least one a striker who has some vague idea what the goal looks like, and someone for the wide areas. McGuffie has done next to nothing to date.

Wilson, on a 2-year deal, after a lengthy trial is, by a hundred million miles, worse than any of the dross of Hartley and Mitch's summer of madness. Truly incredible stuff. 

Our 'Strikers' just lack any basic football skills.  The rest of the teamare forced to work harder to compensate for their failings.  It's as if we start the game short handed.  

Keena is no goal machine but does give something. His injury history suggests he will miss games. When that happens, we are done for.

5 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Not every signing works out but to have two strikers who are absolutely guff is ripping the piss. , Sheerin regardless of what the future holds for him  will always have Jaime Wilson and Samuel Ompreon on his CV.

Less so with Ompreon who really can legitimately cling to the “raw” tag, but I really struggle with the fact that Wilson convinced Sheerin he was worth a two month deal let alone two years.

I just cannot grasp how Sheerin got to the point where signing him even entered his head. Never did we think Sheerin was an emerging Scottish Pep, but equally I didn’t imagine he (or any other coach) would look at that laddie and think “aye, there’s a player there”.

Even at amateur level, I have seen many players better than Wilson. I think the club are broke, and unless we get a ridiculously benevolent loan, we’ll be racing the horse we brung.

I’m actually pretty raging at that meek second half performance and Sheerin has got to take the blame for it. The starting line up was shite but if he’s after giving everyone minutes then I guess it’s fair enough. We started horrendously and I really thought Martin should’ve done better with the first goal looked to go right through his hands. Credit to the team though for getting back into it and what a goal it was from Nesbitt picked up the ball around the halfway line and just kept going until he hit the edge of the box and picked out the bottom corner. Rest of the first half was fairly even we were competing much better than I thought without either keeper having a lot to do, aside from Martin making an absolutely incredible save with his feet from point blank range. Amazing save.

Second half we were absolutely nowhere even close however. The sub at half time was fair enough McKay must’ve been injured and whilst I’d rather have had Dixon on then for balance Hall makes sense. Didn’t get the double sub on the hour Telfer for Ross yes but Hetherington for Krasniqi was stupid. He was having a good game so clam and composed on the ball albeit he had been booked but Hetherington who’s incapable of completing a 5 yard pass comes on. Then Weekes on wide to move Ompreon up front sure can live with that but then 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go to make your last change a straight swap at centre back was absolutely fucking bizzare. Made absolutely no sense at the time, then we conceded 2 minutes later and went to a weird back 5 with Weekes at right wing-back. The amount of great chances Killie missed in that second half though it genuinely could have been 6 or 7. Shite.

46 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Our 'Strikers' just lack any basic football skills.  The rest of the teamare forced to work harder to compensate for their failings.  It's as if we start the game short handed.  

Keena is no goal machine but does give something. His injury history suggests he will miss games. When that happens, we are done for.

What injury history?

20 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

When Cove can start McAllister, Megginson and MacIntosh today and Queens can field Murray and McHugh we are done for in this league

Megginson and Murray are good players.  McAllister is past it and even Cove fans don't rate McIntosh.  

Telfer, Morrison, Dixon, Williamson (the good one) and Nesbitt are better than QP or Cove have in those positions which is why we're not done for in this league. 

2 minutes ago, JustLuvinThepian said:

Don't be so earn lazy. Look it up yourself

He had an injury in 18/19 and then one last season. Doesn’t sound like the injury history that should have is expecting his next one any week now. 

Really think Sheerin needs an extended honeymoon period, and with that BoD behind him, who wouldn’t. He is however, starting to display some weird tactical decisions, and his Hetherington love in at the expense of a far more competent footballer is (eventually) going to piss off more and more people.

Like I say, the honeymoon period continues, but it’s going to run out shortly. Crap signings and loyalty to players who are clearly not as good as others who are available has been the downfall of many a manager and coach, and we are seeing wee signs that Sheerin might be headed that way too.

2 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Megginson and Murray are good players.  McAllister is past it and even Cove fans don't rate McIntosh
Telfer, Morrison, Dixon, Williamson (the good one) and Nesbitt are better than QP or Cove have in those positions which is why we're not done for in this league

That’s all well and good, but it’s another “jam tomorrow” statement. It would have been a bit more convincing had all those better players of ours played a part in beating the inferior QP last week, but that’s not what happened. It’s an exercise in cold comfort claiming we have better players than the team that just beat us on our patch. The wake up call is this….if QP don’t get promoted this season, it’s no biggie. Haughey’s money will be there next season. If we don’t go up this season, the shit will hit the fan in spectacular fashion. We are broke. The Rawlins have demonstrated by now that they aren’t going to underwrite the club. 

we've had months to get decent strikers in. I thought we were to have 2 or 3 players for each position? what has Holt been doing on the striker sourcing front? why do we do this every season, where we are a good chunk of games in and are still scrambling around?

we have some very good creative players but what a waste if we don't go up because there is noone there to finish off the ample chances they create

You have to feel for Wilson a bit. Not his fault Sheerin had a moment of madness and handed him a 2 year deal (or any deal at all). I don’t know what he earns, but whatever it is, he will be earning buttons to be absolutely ridiculed by the supporters of his own team. Don’t care who you are, that’s got to be pretty grim.