The Falkirk FC Thread

13 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I'm in agreement, he would be a gamble for sure. Not one that Cove could really afford to take either given we have Rory (34) and Leighton McIntosh, who I'd have little faith in as a main striker, as our only backups to Mitch. We need someoneΒ  more established at this level or higher.Β Β 

Finding them is nigh on mission impossible unfortunately. McManus was a huge success for us two seasons ago - out of the picture at a Premier League club, but with a reasonable degree of experience, proven record in League One and, crucially, willing to drop downΒ two levels in exchange for regular football. Reilly might have been of a similar profile, but has now gone to Morton. Shaw is another one who appears to be available from RC, and would be a significant upgrade on what we currently have, but again, interest from Championship clubs means there's no chance whatsoever.Β The longer we remain stuck at this level, the more the pool of realistic, viable targets seems to diminish every window.

19 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Finding them is nigh on mission impossible unfortunately. McManus was a huge success for us two seasons ago - out of the picture at a Premier League club, but with a reasonable degree of experience, proven record in League One and, crucially, willing to drop downΒ two levels in exchange for regular football. Reilly might have been of a similar profile, but has now gone to Morton. Shaw is another one who appears to be available from RC, and would be a significant upgrade on what we currently have, but again, interest from Championship clubs means there's no chance whatsoever.Β The longer we remain stuck at this level, the more the pool of realistic, viable targets seems to diminish every window.

Exactly this. The gems that are willing to drop down and do make an impact like McManus and Tiffoney in reason seasons are as you say very hard to come by. A squad / fringe squad player in the prem might willing drop to the Championship but are very loathe to dropping down 2 divisions.

Falkirk should be most capable of attracting these types of players given prem/championship legacy, being full time, and to a lesser extent geographical position in relation to Cove for example. I guess the downside is that Falkirk in very recent times haven't been viewed as stable in regards to manager/player turnover.

Β 

Granted the longer you at this level the above attractions diminish. I don't see Falkirk being stranded at L1 for much longer, last season imo. Whether that is automatic promotion or through the playoffs is to be seen.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Guest Caractacus Potts
2 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Exactly this. The gems that are willing to drop down and do make an impact like McManus and Tiffoney in reason seasons are as you say very hard to come by. A squad / fringe squad player in the prem might willing drop to the Championship but are very loathe to dropping down 2 divisions.

Falkirk should be most capable of attracting these types of players given prem/championship legacy, being full time, and to a lesser extent geographical position in relation to Cove for example. I guess the downside is that Falkirk in very recent times haven't been viewed as stable in regards to manager/player turnover.

I really don’t think anyone is hard to come by provided you’re able to pay enough money and provide regular football. The examples are only low in this division because there haven’t been many teams with the finances available to afford these players but Rangers, Gretna, ourselves, Cove and Partick have shown that players capable of low end Premiership/high end Championship will make the drop.

What is increasingly clear is that our team requires more investment. UnlessΒ anyone of real quality comes in the next few days and more blips occur thenΒ once again will beg the question of why the club knocked back Β£500k.Β 
Β 

Β 

Just now, Caractacus Potts said:

I really don’t think anyone is hard to come by provided you’re able to pay enough money and provide regular football. The examples are only low in this division because there haven’t been many teams with the finances available to afford these players but Rangers, Gretna, ourselves, Cove and Partick have shown that players capable of low end Premiership/high end Championship will make the drop.

What is increasingly clear is that our team requires more investment. UnlessΒ anyone of real quality comes in the next few days and more blips occur thenΒ once again will beg the question of why the club knocked back Β£500k.Β 
Β 

Β 

We have signed ex-prem players yes but the ones coming in this summer were already released and in the twilight of their careers.

Draper by the looks of it should have just retired. Shay Logan will be a decent addition, Vigurs got something to give but is nothing more than a quarterback and Fyvie plays that role better. Gourlay played 10 games for Hamilton (somehow) and is a bombscare.

Our finances allow us to get ex-prem players but Hartley choosing them is the issue and as you will already know that's a disaster.Β 

Good to see Holt using his livingston connections for our benefit again not.Β  They certainly can't come out and say that there's not been decent strikers available out there when that is most certainly not the case.Β  If he fails miserably to get a half decent goal scorer in this week then he can get to feck and that will give us another 40k to help entice someone decent.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Lemon's essentially competiting for Dixon's spot and unless Dixon gets injured he won't see much game time. May as well get him out on loan so hopefully he can continue improving. Same with Williamson as he's not going to displace Mccann. Weekes I'd rather keep as he'd be a useful option off the bench with his pace and directness.

If McCann or Dixon get crocked Id much prefer to have lemon about as cover.Β  I'd have Dixon at left back before C Williamson if it's going to be longer than a week or so and I'd dread to think what Mackay and hall would be like.Β  Lemon seemed very comfortable at this level so I really don't see him learning much from playing in the shitey lowland league.

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We have signed ex-prem players yes but the ones coming in this summer were already released and in the twilight of their careers.

Draper by the looks of it should have just retired. Shay Logan will be a decent addition, Vigurs got something to give but is nothing more than a quarterback and Fyvie plays that role better. Gourlay played 10 games for Hamilton (somehow) and is a bombscare.

Our finances allow us to get ex-prem players but Hartley choosing them is the issue and as you will already know that's a disaster.Β 

Yeh no doubt mate but sure the players you mentioned would have received offers to play at a higher level. Logan just played the end of the season with the Championship winners after all.Β 
Β 

At the end of the day money talks(although doesn’t guarantee you good players).Β 

49 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If McCann or Dixon get crocked Id much prefer to have lemon about as cover.Β  I'd have Dixon at left back before C Williamson if it's going to be longer than a week or so and I'd dread to think what Mackay and hall would be like.Β  Lemon seemed very comfortable at this level so I really don't see him learning much from playing in the shitey lowland league.

Exactly!

Early days, but from what I have seen, Lemon is the pick of the bunch and strolled through his matches. These are the type of guys we need to bring on when coasting a match and giving them as much game time as possible in this division, with a view (and hope) to making their 1st team place permanant.

Weekes is another who has shown that he is as good as we already have.Β  I wouldn't mind it if he replaced McGuffie in the squad.Β Β 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

The source that said Reilly had "signed" for us must be the same oneΒ who informed us we'd signed Liam Craig.

Was just coming on to question the person that said it was a 'done deal' :DΒ It's genuinely possible you weren't even in for him, but around the time it was rumoured, Martindale made a comment saying he rejected a few offers as the clubs that were in for him couldn't afford him, which is surprising given Morton are now paying his wage in full.

Edited by ATLIS

3 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

Exactly!

Early days, but from what I have seen, Lemon is the pick of the bunch and strolled through his matches. These are the type of guys we need to bring on when coasting a match and giving them as much game time as possible in this division, with a view (and hope) to making their 1st team place permanant.

Weekes is another who has shown that he is as good as we already have.Β  I wouldn't mind it if he replaced McGuffie in the squad.Β Β 

When do you ever see a centre back brought on when you are winning a game? If he goes out on loan he'll be playing week in week out which will benefit him more than sitting watching games go by on our bench.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Put a recall option in the loans and if Mccann or Dixon do get injured then they are brought straight back.

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

Put a recall option in the loans and if Mccann or Dixon do get injured then they are brought straight back.

Remember you can only recall within transfer windows as well though as you can only register them as a player in those periods if returning from another club

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

When do you ever see a centre back brought on when you are winning a game? If he goes out on loan he'll be playing week in week out which will benefit him more than sitting watching games go by on our bench.

You can only recall in January FFS and then again at the end of the season.Β  I wouldn't want to gamble for that long.Β  Lemon is already good enough to play at this level so I've no idea why you'd want him punted out to two levels below.

2 hours ago, AFalkirkBairnB said:

Presume there moaning that they are going out on loan with out any replacements.Β 

I wouldn't punt Lemon out as he's already proved his worth. Weeks has done well too although we may have enough options in that area at the moment. The boy Williamson could perhaps benefit from a loan spell though.