The Falkirk FC Thread

Did he not only play for St Mirren about 3 or 4 years ago ffs? His scoring record since then hasn't been stellar, but he's been playing regularly at League 1 and League 2 level down south which is way above where we are at the moment. Quite happy with Reilly signing, we know what we are getting and he should score goals at this level (whereas Ruth would have been a totally unknown quantity) 

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

81 league games for Reilly the last 3 seasons 8 goals and 0 assists.

87 league games for Mcmanus the last 3 seasons 29 goals 9 assists.

Mcmanus gives you so much more than just a goal threat and last season alone scored more and assisted more in the championship than Reilly has in the last 81 league games he's played.

*using transfermarkt stats

You take away Declan’s season at us and his stats don’t look very good. Gavin Reilly has the potential to come and replicate what McManus achieved with us. 

2 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

You take away Declan’s season at us and his stats don’t look very good. Gavin Reilly has the potential to come and replicate what McManus achieved with us. 

They are completely different players. Reilly will sit in between the posts and wait on something falling his way whereas Mcmanus went and made things happen on his own. 

Listen if we do sign him then hopefully he'll prove me wrong but I've never been impressed with him when he's played against us. The year St Mirren went up Lewis Morgan and Cammy Smith were the two main threats that you worried coming up against.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

They are completely different players. Reilly will sit in between the posts and wait on something falling his way whereas Mcmanus went and made things happen on his own. 

Listen if we do sign him then hopefully he'll prove me wrong but I've never been impressed with him when he's played against us. The year St Mirren went up Lewis Morgan and Cammy Smith were the two main threats that you worried coming up against.

I’m not saying that Reilly is the answer but on paper I think it’s a solid signing that we should be happy about and not write him off before he’s even kicked a ball. At least now we have one striker on our books that has proven (albeit only for 3 seasons) that he can get double figures. 

16 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

He'll be back up to Anderson and Hamilton at Livi. No chance he'll be joining us.  

We're sending him out on loan, we've just signed Panayiotou as backup to Hamilton and Anderson. Reilly is just coming back from a 20cm hamstring tear he got against Celtic last year. By all accounts should be a great signing until January in that league.

He's a decent level Premiership striker. He'll do a f**k load of running and pressure the defenders. If you're playing a system where you get goals out of midfielders and wingers then you're absolutely going to do well with him as the play rotates around him (when he's played for us). 

Not sure if it'll ease anyone's mind but he hasn't looked out of place in the Premiership in the games he's played for us and I imagine once he's back to full fitness will be vying for a spot in our squad.

Edited by ATLIS

10 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

We're sending him out on loan, we've just signed Panayiotou as backup to Hamilton and Anderson. Reilly is just coming back from a 20cm hamstring tear he got against Celtic last year. By all accounts should be a great signing until January in that league.

By all accounts he's a decent level Premiership striker. He'll do a f**k load of running and pressure the defenders. If you're playing a system where you get goals out of midfielders and wingers then you're absolutely going to do well with him as the play rotates around him (when he's played for us). 

Not sure if it'll ease anyone's mind but he hasn't looked out of place in the Premiership in the games he's played for us and I imagine once he's back to full fitness will be vying for a spot in our squad.

Glad to hear!! 

46 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He's a decent level Premiership striker. He'll do a f**k load of running and pressure the defenders. If you're playing a system where you get goals out of midfielders and wingers then you're absolutely going to do well with him as the play rotates around him (when he's played for us). 

Let's hope we don't get burnt like the last player we got on loan of you lot. That said you now have Sean Kelly so a slight leveller. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

81 league games for Reilly the last 3 seasons 8 goals and 0 assists.

87 league games for Mcmanus the last 3 seasons 29 goals 9 assists.

Mcmanus gives you so much more than just a goal threat and last season alone scored more and assisted more than Reilly has in the last 81 league games he's played.

*using transfermarkt stats

I was just using the championship rather than last few years as Reilly hasn’t played at that level since 2018 whereas McManus did last season.

If he’s fit he’s probably the best we can get on loan with 2 weeks left of the transfer window and his game is more than in between the posts that’s for sure.

Reilly is actually a step above what I thought we would end up with.

You can point to injuries and spells of not being prolific, but he is a been there, done it, proven pro footballer. Thats quite literally more than you can say for all of our forwards, although IMO Keena will be the best of our forwards and top scorer.

Plenty have already pointed out, we cant carry another who is sinply not at the required level, or a very raw punt at potential.

Anyone thinking Reilly is anything less than a bit of a coup is thinking too far ahead of where we are IMO.

Guest Back Post Misses
11 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

Watched about an hour of the match (missed both goals but sounded like 2 crackers). Must say that what I saw was a very energetic & committed team (U16s tonight rather than the U18s) and all put themselves across well. Some of the one touch passing & the movement, as John Collins would say, was tremendous. 

Nice wee crowd there of around 150-200. As already said, I hear they expected to be a taught a lesson on Sunday & Last night but was far from it. 

Would certainly go back & will try catch the U18s at some point too. 

Meanwhile three of our ex-academy players dumped are in the Scotland Under 16 pool. We are sadly fishing in a lower quality of pond now 

18 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Meanwhile three of our ex-academy players dumped are in the Scotland Under 16 pool. We are sadly fishing in a lower quality of pond now 

Yep. Those decisions will haunt for a while yet while these players make a name for themselves no doubt. 

But takes nothing away from how this batch have started in my opinion. Just need to back them & hope some do us a turn in the first team eventually. 

Edited by RC55 FFC

35 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Can't argue that, nor can you defend the decision to stop fishing in the first place. It will take years to get back to where we should have been. 

The only good thing now we're back at a pond is that at least we seem to have a competent angler. Ian Fergus pretty much found all these boys on his own and having seen them twice now I've no doubt he has an eye for a player. The football so far has been a revelation compared to what I was expecting. 

I know absolutely nothing about academy scouting or development. However, given the background of Murray Wallace and the fact that IF seems to have picked up gems that were discarded elsewhere, is it possible that concentrating on older "rejects" is the best way to go? 

Edited by Bainsfordbairn
grammar

14 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

However, given the background of Murray Wallace and the fact that IF seems to have picked up gems that were discarded elsewhere, is it possible that concentrating on older "rejects" is the best way to go? 

I think I see where you’re headed with this one. A younger version of the ‘Brentford Model’. 

Sound very promising, I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Guest Back Post Misses
1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Can't argue that, nor can you defend the decision to stop fishing in the first place. It will take years to get back to where we should have been. 

The only good thing now we're back at a pond is that at least we seem to have a competent angler. Ian Fergus pretty much found all these boys on his own and having seen them twice now I've no doubt he has an eye for a player. The football so far has been a revelation compared to what I was expecting. 

I know absolutely nothing about academy scouting or development. However, given the background of Murray Wallace and the fact that IF seems to have picked up gems that were discarded elsewhere, is it possible that concentrating on older "rejects" is the best way to go? 

We have no option after the act of vandalism of the previous board. To think Major Shareholders who had input into this decision actually had the affront to take cash from the club for their shares. They should never be allowed back into the building. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

4 hours ago, Big chungus said:

I repeat, if Keena continues Reilly won't play much

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

How many games has Reilly played for Livvy for you to suggest he hasn't looked out of place ?

4 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Mate who do you suggest we sign? We are a league 1 club we cannot attract the “big name” striker at this level. Look what happened last time we signed a striker on loan from a premiership team. McManus was no where near prolific before he came to us. For this level Gavin Reilly on paper is a very good signing. 

It's not my job to suggest who we sign, I'll repeat if Keena continues Reilly will be sub, one game Sammy one game Wilson will replace Keena and one game Reilly. The three of them like Dowds can't play in the three behind.

I'd rather we signed one that could do more than three we have.

History shows McManus scores bucket loads at 3rd division, level up fails.

I ain't knocking Reilly signing but he won't play if Keena performs as he is

I went along to the under 16 game v Hearts last night, and have to say I was quite surprised by the standard within both sides, in what was very enjoyable to watch. The game was played at a decent tempo with both sides holding nothing back. It was far from the tippy tippy Pro Youth stuff I remember from some of the previous games at that kind of level from about 5/6 years ago. I can only imagine there has been a change in the style of play these youngsters are being coached. Also the game was helped by a ref who let a few hard challenges go from both teams and not stopping play for trivialities.  From a Falkirk point of view credit has to be given in seeking out these lads in a short period, and as I said Hearts also had some decent players too. Definitely worth going along to again 

14 minutes ago, NUMBER 7 said:

I went along to the under 16 game v Hearts last night, and have to say I was quite surprised by the standard within both sides, in what was very enjoyable to watch. The game was played at a decent tempo with both sides holding nothing back. It was far from the tippy tippy Pro Youth stuff I remember from some of the previous games at that kind of level from about 5/6 years ago. I can only imagine there has been a change in the style of play these youngsters are being coached. Also the game was helped by a ref who let a few hard challenges go from both teams and not stopping play for trivialities.  From a Falkirk point of view credit has to be given in seeking out these lads in a short period, and as I said Hearts also had some decent players too. Definitely worth going along to again 

Any chance falkirk tv could show highlights on YouTube of these games going forward? No commentary needed, just 1 guy with a camera and no real rush to get the highlights out either, unlike first team games. Used to enjoy watching the games back when we had an academy