The Falkirk FC Thread

Reilly seems very much a confidence player, as in if he's on form playing in a good side he's a capable goalscorer, if he's not then I think he's one of those who's pretty much invisible. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with him. If it is him you just hope he does better than the last player we had on loan from Livingston who was dugshite. 

1 hour ago, Big chungus said:

Yes I think everything points to the new striker being Reilly. We’ve been interested in Ruth ages and nothing has happened. 

I think we would have him already whether we liked it or not had Aberdeen been able to bring in another striker. They haven't so far hence he's still at Aberdeen.  

19 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

You are forgetting that Alan Stubbs is a fucking diddy 

ETA: He only didn't get a new contract because St Mirren had just been promoted to the Premiership.

His 11 goals in 27 starts and 8 sub appearances that season looks like a pretty similar record to McManus at that level and we all know how good he was in League 1

You are forgetting we've all watched Reilly play against our team numerous times with numerous different clubs and I can't remember once thinking 'this boys a player we'll need to watch out for him' Back in his QOS days he had a bit of pace  but there's no chance he'll have any of that now. He doesn't create goals like Mcmanus could and scoring 11 league goals in a title winning side is hardly something to brag about. Nathan Austin scored 10 the season after for a 3rd place Inverness as a comparison.

8 league goals in the last 3 years and jumped from club to club never really holding down a starting spot. It's a no from me. If you're giving me the option of Ruth or Reilly I'm picking Ruth as we already know what Reilly is like where as Ruth is an unknown. But preferably it wouldn't be either of them.

Just now, FFC 1876 said:

But preferably it wouldn't be either of them.

This.

While Ruth and Reilly are at different stages of their careers, they both smack of a "he isn't great but he is better than nothing" type of signing. Unless whoever comes in significantly improves the squad I don't see the point of signing anybody else, work with what we've got. Not signing them would save us from tying up wages, just in case by a miracle somebody much better becomes available in January.

Of course, like everybody else, I am hoping that we can get a decent striker in during this window.

10 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Kinda in same boat Im not overly enthused about either. We do need someone else in though, if Keena gets injured you just don't see Wilson or Ompreon scoring enough goals, in Wilson's case any at all. 

Sorry, but don't see Ompreon scoring either, not given his entirely unconvincing showing on Saturday. "Raw"?? He looked like a lost boy, and IMO really struggled to impose himself (ie = get stuck in!) when we needed someone to be strong, to hold up the ball, or close down the Airdrie back line or mid to take the pressure off our tiring defence. Which was the very least required of him at that stage in the game.  Could barely trap a pass either, the ball was bouncing off him all over the place. Just don't see what he's going to bring to the team.   

Go on lad, prove me completely wrong; I'd be delighted, but at the moment, a long way to go....  

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

You are forgetting we've all watched Reilly play against our team numerous times with numerous different clubs and I can't remember once thinking 'this boys a player we'll need to watch out for him' Back in his QOS days he had a bit of pace  but there's no chance he'll have any of that now. He doesn't create goals like Mcmanus could and scoring 11 league goals in a title winning side is hardly something to brag about. Nathan Austin scored 10 the season after for a 3rd place Inverness as a comparison.

8 league goals in the last 3 years and jumped from club to club never really holding down a starting spot. It's a no from me. If you're giving me the option of Ruth or Reilly I'm picking Ruth as we already know what Reilly is like where as Ruth is an unknown. But preferably it wouldn't be either of them.

Yeah I'm sure Reilly will struggle to beat mcmanus's one assist from the season he was here. Jesus if we can get Reilly in I'd take him in a minute . Far better than any of the other rumoured signings. Create chances and he'll put them away. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Just been told Reilly deal is done and he is joining on loan,probably till January.

At least with him we'll.have two strikers capable of double figures this season . Ompreon is a work in progress and Wilson can sort out the halftime oranges.

5 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Given how many of our signings have been leaked so far before they've been announced, it wouldn't surprise me if it is Gavin Reilly. 

Would be happy enough with that signing. Decent player for this level and certainly fits Sheerin's criteria of being energetic and being able to play anywhere across the front.

We are only playing one up front and I don't think he is capable of playing in any of the positions in the 3 behind. 

If Keena remains fit and playing as he is, can see Reilly getting 10 - 20 mins each game tbh.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

At least with him we'll.have two strikers capable of double figures this season . Ompreon is a work in progress and Wilson can sort out the halftime oranges.

Which decade did Reilly score double figures ?

As said above, I don't think he will get the chances to do much, aok for back up but I'd rather we got someone who could challenge for places behind the main striker also.

If you take his QoS goals away, he's been below average every season bar the St Mirren one, after that season he struggled to get a club too.

8 league goals in 3yrs is lethal

Edited by MrDust

17 minutes ago, MrDust said:

We are only playing one up front and I don't think he is capable of playing in any of the positions in the 3 behind. 

If Keena remains fit and playing as he is, can see Reilly getting 10 - 20 mins each game tbh.

Which decade did Reilly score double figures ?

As said above, I don't think he will get the chances to do much, aok for back up but I'd rather we got someone who could challenge for places behind the main striker also.

If you take his QoS goals away, he's been below average every season bar the St Mirren one, after that season he struggled to get a club too.

8 league goals in 3yrs is lethal

Mate who do you suggest we sign? We are a league 1 club we cannot attract the “big name” striker at this level. Look what happened last time we signed a striker on loan from a premiership team. McManus was no where near prolific before he came to us. For this level Gavin Reilly on paper is a very good signing. 

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Reilly has had 4 full seasons at Scottish Championship level and scored in double figures in 3 of them. One season at this level and also got double figures.

Reilly has 39 goals in 138 games in the Championship  yet the saviour of the summer Declan McManus has 28 in 160 games in the Championship.

*using transfermarkt stats

22 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Reilly has 39 goals in 138 games in the Championship  yet the saviour of the summer Declan McManus has 28 in 160 games in the Championship.

81 league games for Reilly the last 3 seasons 8 goals and 0 assists.

87 league games for Mcmanus the last 3 seasons 29 goals 9 assists.

Mcmanus gives you so much more than just a goal threat and last season alone scored more and assisted more than Reilly has in the last 81 league games he's played.

Edited by FFC 1876