The Falkirk FC Thread

18 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Dowds is the second best striker at the club by some distance. He is also our only striker with a bit of physicality/ can hold the ball up. The difference at the Hamilton game when he went off to be replaced by Wilson after an hour was stark. Loaning him out would be a mistake imo unless whoever we bring in really adds something. I know we've talked a lot about the quality of the Championship but if Arbroath feel he's going to get them goals there then it basically underlines that he's not a bad player. Clearly just a case of Sheerin not fancying him for whatever reason. Which would be fine if we knew Keena was going to stay fit or if Ompreon and Wilson could definitely get goals (looking doubtful atm).

It also suggests that's the budget more or less spent and we'll need to get players out before getting any more in, which is disappointing as I feel we're still two players short from having a really decent squad.

I don't see any more outgoings other than him, everyone else seems to have featured at some point. Come January that might be a different story. Any incomings now would be loans you'd think. I think it'll be another striker and that'll be our lot.

27 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Two pages debating a guy that was given ample opportunities to make his mark, never got his fitness levels anywhere near this level ( which shouldn’t be too difficult) and time to move on. 
Assuming we’ve got a replacement lined up. 

Yes wouldn’t be surprised but disappointed if we are letting him go and do not have someone lined up. It’s probably Michael Ruth - been linked with him and he wasn’t in Aberdeen’s squad yesterday. 

2 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

It also suggests that's the budget more or less spent and we'll need to get players out before getting any more in, which is disappointing as I feel we're still two players short from having a really decent squad.

Not necessarily. Regardless of budget, there’s no point wasting money on players who are never going to play.

Dowds had absolutely no chance of getting game time if another striker comes in especially as he can’t play out wide. 

It would make no sense having effectively 5 players for 1 position.

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Two pages debating a guy that was given ample opportunities to make his mark, never got his fitness levels anywhere near this level ( which shouldn’t be too difficult) and time to move on. 
Assuming we’ve got a replacement lined up. 

Agree, although I don't think he's overweight or unfit, he's just not very good.

4 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Dowds might well be our second best striker  but that's not difficult when u look at the others. Ultimately he's not been good enough, I see Dick Campbell saying that Arbroath aren't scoring enough. He's in for a shock if he thinks Dowds is the answer to that issue. Good luck to him.  

Watch him start scoring at Arbroath 😊

I'd hoped he could step up this season but obviously our formation and/or ability has him out of the managers plans.

I think the only reason he doesn't agree with you is due to the fact he made the decision to sign Wilson. So can't exactly try punt Wilson out right now so Dowds has to take the hit. Dowds hasn't been great with us but he's not half as bad as some on here make out and he's a mile better than Wilson in all aspects of the game. 
Time will tell if it was the correct decision.

The strikers this season all should be scoring more as the midfield are creating significantly more chances. Last season service was awful. Just look at how keena performed under Holts time in charge.

Let's see if the manager's signings live up to his expectations.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We’ll get him fit. Can’t be an unfit player in a Dick Campbell team. 

Unless you’re Ryan McCord of course

I reckon he’ll do quite well for you. 

Binning him and keeping Wilson/ompreon is rank. Only sheerin’s good start on the pitch let’s him just about get away with this decision 

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Watch him start scoring at Arbroath 😊

I'd hoped he could step up this season but obviously our formation and/or ability has him out of the managers plans.

I don't doubt he might get on the scoresheet, but there's absolutely no chance he's getting goals like Jack  Hamilton did on loan there. Two different players obviously, but what was it 13 League goals in two seasons at at East Fife plus a couple with us. I reckon he will be lucky to hit double figures at Arbroath. Flip side being  Wilson will be lucky to hit the target all season. 

5 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Dowds is the second best striker at the club by some distance. He is also our only striker with a bit of physicality/ can hold the ball up. 

Whilst Dowds might be more physical Keenas ability to hold the ball up is far superior. It’s something that we didn’t see too much of last season but I’ve been so impressed with Keenas performances so far this season. Not bad in the air, gets stuck in and the ball sticks to him. A much better player than most would give him credit for.

Even though I quite liked Dowds he doesn't fit our style of play. Keena will be our main striker if fit.

I believe Ruth can play in any of the four forward positions if signed. Should be full of energy and keen to impress.

Wilson should be capable of coming on 70+ minutes in games to press defenders from the front. At this stage that looks all he is capable of.

Ompreon, not sure what he brings yet. 

3 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I don't think Anton will ever make it as a striker.  Maybe better in midfield.

Maybe in the pub leagues/5 a sides but no chance he is capable to play midfield in the pro set up.

I'm guessing whoever comes in will provide competition for Keena and can cover one or more of the positions in the 3 behind, something Dowds wasnt capable of.

Guest Back Post Misses
5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We’ll get him fit. Can’t be an unfit player in a Dick Campbell team. 

Unless you’re Ryan McCord of course

He is hopeless mate, hopeless. Herriot Watt Uni team is his level