The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Regarding Dowds, sheerin has watched him in training and pre season games.  I saw him against stirling uni and he looked overweight and unfit to me, maybe it's something outwith his ability that Sheerin doesn't like? Agree with you on Wilson though, saw him that game and was amazed we signed him and he's had (unproductive) game time ever since.

Dowds warmed up right in front of me up at cove and I actually thought he looked like he had trimmed down a bit from last year, but not arguing the fact it could be certain factors out with ability that has him so far down the pecking order. 

7 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Dowds off to Arbroath on loan. Should mean we're planning on bringing in another striker.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/2458669/arbroath-anton-dowds/amp/

Good move for the lad.

I wonder if any non league side would take Wilson off our hands?

PS

Congratulations to Dunipace for winning the South of Scotland cup yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Good move for the lad.

PS

Maybe Dunipace will take him? Inevitable that he'll be gone in January.

9 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Good move for the lad.

PS

I heard he's away back to Rothes.

3 hours ago, MrDust said:

Hetherington gave away a foul pre the red which wasn't a booking then the following foul was a stick on yellow, so common sense did prevail with the ref making his decision. 

Fair enough, I wasn`t at the game so just commenting on what I saw on the FTV highlights. Heatherington should have had enough experience to know that he would have a "target" on his back after the first yellow and made sure he wouldn`t get into the situation he ultimately did. There`s no doubt Airdrie were waiting on a chance and he gave them it. It was interesting to note that once Easton had made his "miraculous recovery" he got a "Mission accomplished" hand shake from Fordyce. 

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Good move for the lad.

PS

Pacy?? Are the courier taking the pish?

Will do I suppose but I'd rather he'd move to another full time outfit. I'd presume we'll still be stuck paying some of his wages in this case . Another one moving up a league though. Quite incredible some of the jobbers getting a gig in the championship 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Dowds is our second best striker by a mile IMO but Sheerin doesn't seem to agree with me. If this means we can get someone else in to compete with or support Keena then it's for the best though. I understand that Michael "Babe" Ruth has played wide in previous loan spells so perhaps he would be a better fit in the current formation.

Edited by Marshmallo

9 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Yes good point it may well be an attitude problem.

Would be genuinely  surprised by that- very popular lad with staff, players, fans at EF. Great work ethic also..Simply must be the manager doesn't fancy him- happens to better players than Dowds up higher leagues than ours! Anyway wish the boy well, last time you visited us he was a shadow of the player that left us, mind you all your team were poor that day- hope he gets his mojo back and make’s it happen in a higher league…..

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Dowds is our second best striker by a mile IMO but Sheerin doesn't seem to agree with me. If this means we can get someone else in to compete with or support Keena then it's for the best though. I understand that Michael "Babe" Ruth has played wide in previous loan spells so perhaps he would be a better fit in the current formation.

I think the only reason he doesn't agree with you is due to the fact he made the decision to sign Wilson. So can't exactly try punt Wilson out right now so Dowds has to take the hit. Dowds hasn't been great with us but he's not half as bad as some on here make out and he's a mile better than Wilson in all aspects of the game. 

Dowds might well be our second best striker  but that's not difficult when u look at the others. Ultimately he's not been good enough, I see Dick Campbell saying that Arbroath aren't scoring enough. He's in for a shock if he thinks Dowds is the answer to that issue. Good luck to him.  

13 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Dowds might well be our second best striker  but that's not difficult when u look at the others. Ultimately he's not been good enough, I see Dick Campbell saying that Arbroath aren't scoring enough. He's in for a shock if he thinks Dowds is the answer to that issue. Good luck to him.  

Yeah even at his best he's never going to score you a lot of goals. 

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Is it not just the simple fact that dowds doesn't fit the type of striker sheerin wants in his side.  Front players need to be able to play across the park and need to be far more mobile and quick than dowds.  

That would be a fine point if Wilson was mobile or quick, he is neither.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Dowds off to Arbroath on loan. 

Best of luck to Anton. 
I think he can play a bit and was unlucky that we had a couple of idiots in charge last season. 
Sheerin has made several poor signing decisions and letting this lad go adds to those.

Could have returned from break  in better shape though.

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Is it not just the simple fact that dowds doesn't fit the type of striker sheerin wants in his side.  Front players need to be able to play across the park and need to be far more mobile and quick than dowds.  

I'd say that is probably a contributory factor as to why he's getting punted. Sheerin seems to prefer guys that have pace, mobility up front, as he likes to keep the ball on the deck. Saying that Dowds wasn't great in the air either. Struggling to think of any good goals from Dowds. His goal against Dumbarton at home to get us a draw was a decent strike, his worst miss has to be our first trip to Partick, absolute sitter. 

Dowds is the second best striker at the club by some distance. He is also our only striker with a bit of physicality/ can hold the ball up. The difference at the Hamilton game when he went off to be replaced by Wilson after an hour was stark. Loaning him out would be a mistake imo unless whoever we bring in really adds something. I know we've talked a lot about the quality of the Championship but if Arbroath feel he's going to get them goals there then it basically underlines that he's not a bad player. Clearly just a case of Sheerin not fancying him for whatever reason. Which would be fine if we knew Keena was going to stay fit or if Ompreon and Wilson could definitely get goals (looking doubtful atm).

It also suggests that's the budget more or less spent and we'll need to get players out before getting any more in, which is disappointing as I feel we're still two players short from having a really decent squad.

28 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

That would be a fine point if Wilson was mobile or quick, he is neither.

He's more mobile than dowds though.  Certainly has  covered far more of the park than he ever did. Not saying for a minute Wilson is the answer but he looks like the kind of player that runs all day and closes folk down just a pity he's shit at everything else. Dowds never looked capable of the press to me and that's why he's being moved on.

Edited by Shadwell Dog