The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Michael Ruth not on the Aberdeen bench today. Dowds to go and Ruth to come in? 

I wouldn't be so sure Ruth will be the one to come in, unless Aberdeen bring in another striker he won't be going anywhere. His goalscoring record is also abysmal, not saying he wouldn't get goals in league 1 but the last thing we need is another striker that can't hit the net, we already have one in Wilson, and Ompreon may or may not come good. 

10 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I wouldn't be so sure Ruth will be the one to come in, unless Aberdeen bring in another striker he won't be going anywhere. His goalscoring record is also abysmal, not saying he wouldn't get goals in league 1 but the last thing we need is another striker that can't hit the net, we already have one in Wilson, and Ompreon may or may not come good. 

He's a 19 year old who's only played around 20 first team games bit harsh to call his striking rate abysmal. Especially give most of those 20 games he wouldn't have been playing upfront and he wouldn't have started all 20 either.

43 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He's a 19 year old who's only played around 20 first team games bit harsh to call his striking rate abysmal. Especially give most of those 20 games he wouldn't have been playing upfront and he wouldn't have started all 20 either.

We've taken a gamble on Wilson and Ompreon, no way can we afford to take another gamble on Ruth. We need somebody coming in who will as good as guarantee us 15 goals this season. Don't ask me who it will be (not sure we are signing another striker if I am honest). The fabled #9 is the missing piece of the Falkirk jigsaw.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

37 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We've taken a gamble on Wilson and Ompreon, no way can we afford to take another gamble on Ruth. We need somebody coming in who will as good as guarantee us 15 goals this season. Don't ask me who it will be (not sure we are signing another striker if I am honest). The fabled #9 is the missing part of the Falkirk jigsaw.

We can’t afford anyone that will ‘guarantee’ us 15 goals a season. We need to take a gamble on someone who the manager thinks will fit into his system and get the goals needed.

8 minutes ago, Russ said:

We can’t afford anyone that will ‘guarantee’ us 15 goals a season. We need to take a gamble on someone who the manager thinks will fit into his system and get the goals needed.

Can we afford not to spend the money and sign someone who will guarantee us those 15 goals? And possibly be stuck in League 1 ad infinitum?

3 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Can we afford not to spend the money and sign someone who will guarantee us those 15 goals? And possibly be stuck in League 1 ad infinitum?

If this mythical goal scorer did exist he’d have bigger and better offers than Falkirk in Legaue 1.

Farid, Lyle Taylor, Rory Loy all gambles we’ve took in the last 10 years that battered in over 20 goals a season for us. I get that our success rate was unusually high then but still it does show that it’s possible. 

Guest Back Post Misses
38 minutes ago, Russ said:

We can afford a 50k+ DOF who can’t find one mind you 

Every club above us are looking for this magical goal scorer but few exist. Look at Airdrie yesterday  They had all the pressure in the second half but only scored a scrappy goal. Their thread like a lot of others are screaming for this mythical beast. We need to coach what we have and get them to anticipate what our creative players deliver

54 minutes ago, Russ said:

Keena will get us that 15-20 goals a season. I know everyone bangs on about he needs to stay fit and some have even called him injury prone but he’s been unlucky with a bad injury - to call him injury prone is too far a stretch. He’s shown his quality with both of his goals this week. I’m disappointed sheerin hasn’t given dowds a proper run in the team. I thought all the players that were retained from last deserved a clean slate and they all have seem to have gotten one apart from dowds. I don’t ever think dowds can be the striker that can get 20 goals a season but I did think under the right management he could potentially give us 10 goals a season (numbers he was producing at east fife). That’s my one complaint with sheerin he hasn’t given dowds a chance and signed that pile of shite Jamie Wilson and tbh I don’t see it with Sammy - I know it’s early days but his first touch is awful and is extremely raw. 

Jesus wept how much do some folk think it costs to get a player that can score 15 goals at league one level FFS. Lets have a look.at players that have managed to score that fabled number or more in recent times.

Liam Buchanan, Iain Russell, Greg Spence,  Craig Moore, Alan Trouten, Ryan Wallace,Bobby Linn, Mark McGuigan, Leighton Macintosh for starters. Fecks sake Dale Carrick would probably have got 15 if it had been a full season a couple of years ago. Now players of the standard listed hardly broke the bank for the sides they played for so why do we suddenly think we need to spend a fortune to get a player that can score 15 goals in the bloody seaside league or even that it's completely beyond us to even think about getting someone that can do that.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Jesus wept how much do some folk think it costs to get a player that can score 15 goals at league one level FFS. Lets have a look.at players that have managed to score that fabled number or more in recent times.

Liam Buchanan, Iain Russell, Greg Spence,  Craig Moore, Alan Trouten, Ryan Wallace,Bobby Linn, Mark McGuigan, Leighton Macintosh for starters. Fecks sake Dale Carrick would probably have got 15 if it had been a full season a couple of years ago. Now players of the standard listed hardly broke the bank for the sides they played for so why do we suddenly think we need to spend a fortune to get a player that can score 15 goals in the bloody seaside league or even that it's completely beyond us to even think about getting someone that can do that.

I’ve been through this with you before but the players listed weren’t guaranteed or proven to score that number of goals at that level. If we bring a young unproven striker in and he scores 20 then he’ll join that list, however, he will be a gamble just like all the names above were

2 hours ago, Big chungus said:

Keena will get us that 15-20 goals a season. I know everyone bangs on about he needs to stay fit and some have even called him injury prone but he’s been unlucky with a bad injury - to call him injury prone is too far a stretch. He’s shown his quality with both of his goals this week. I’m disappointed sheerin hasn’t given dowds a proper run in the team. I thought all the players that were retained from last deserved a clean slate and they all have seem to have gotten one apart from dowds. I don’t ever think dowds can be the striker that can get 20 goals a season but I did think under the right management he could potentially give us 10 goals a season (numbers he was producing at east fife). That’s my one complaint with sheerin he hasn’t given dowds a chance and signed that pile of shite Jamie Wilson and tbh I don’t see it with Sammy - I know it’s early days but his first touch is awful and is extremely raw. 

Regarding Dowds, sheerin has watched him in training and pre season games.  I saw him against stirling uni and he looked overweight and unfit to me, maybe it's something outwith his ability that Sheerin doesn't like? Agree with you on Wilson though, saw him that game and was amazed we signed him and he's had (unproductive) game time ever since.

16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's not beyond us to get someone like that, as we proved with the likes of Farid, Taylor & Loy in the league above. 

What might be beyond us is buying and paying someone AFTER they've proven they can score 15 a season at this level. Because they'll then have far more lucrative options elsewhere. Probably the best chance you have is bringing in a proven goalscorer whose career is winding down.  It worked with Own Coyle. It failed with Conor Sammon. 

You could make similar arguments for all the "experienced and too good for this league" signings in recent years such as Tidser, Alston and co.

It seems that we're now buying potential. Some may turn out to be dross, like Akeel Francis, but given our performances so far I'm willing to give Sheerin the chance to polish his raw recruits into something better. 

28 minutes ago, Rocco said:

I’ve been through this with you before but the players listed weren’t guaranteed or proven to score that number of goals at that level. If we bring a young unproven striker in and he scores 20 then he’ll join that list, however, he will be a gamble just like all the names above were

Most of them have had decent scoring records throughout their careers. John Baird was another who got 21 with forfar a few years back Iain Russell has 170 league goals in his career, Liam Buchanan was regularly into double figures , Trouten had previously scored 15 goals plus at this level and  Craig Moore had previously scored 14 in only 25 matches for Ayr.The vast majority weren't huge gambles . Most of these guys were scoring their goals for sides built on far less budgets and poorer teams than what we have. 

25 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It's not beyond us to get someone like that, as we proved with the likes of Farid, Taylor & Loy in the league above. 

What might be beyond us is buying and paying someone AFTER they've proven they can score 15 a season at this level. Because they'll then have far more lucrative options elsewhere. Probably the best chance you have is bringing in a proven goalscorer whose career is winding down.  It worked with Own Coyle. It failed with Conor Sammon. 

You could make similar arguments for all the "experienced and too good for this league" signings in recent years such as Tidser, Alston and co.

It seems that we're now buying potential. Some may turn out to be dross, like Akeel Francis, but given our performances so far I'm willing to give Sheerin the chance to polish his raw recruits into something better. 

What your looking for is someone who has scored goals at this level but isn't quite up to it at a higher level or is struggling to get a gig at championship level. A lot of players that I've listed were in that boat. We've already got two guys that have pretty non existent scoring records at a professional level.  Should we really be looking for a third in that mould?  

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Regarding Dowds, sheerin has watched him in training and pre season games.  I saw him against stirling uni and he looked overweight and unfit to me, maybe it's something outwith his ability that Sheerin doesn't like? Agree with you on Wilson though, saw him that game and was amazed we signed him and he's had (unproductive) game time ever since.

Yes good point it may well be an attitude problem.

18 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

You get a better view of it on the FTV highlights. Heatherington tries a reverse turn and is in the process of passing the ball when Easton comes flying in and over his outstretched leg. I thought the referee could have used a bit of common sense there and just given a foul. If you watch Easton he`s rolling about holding his leg like it`s ready to fall off. Then he takes a quick peek at the ref, sees he`s booking and sending Heatherington off and immediately jumps up and walks away!!

Hetherington gave away a foul pre the red which wasn't a booking then the following foul was a stick on yellow, so common sense did prevail with the ref making his decision. 

10 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

We obviously will need to get Dowds out as 5 players for 1 position is poor squad management, even for 2 positions .

We then have the problem of getting someone in with him knowing he will be competing with 2 other strikers to be the back up or he is seriously challenging Keena to be first choice.

I personally think Keena will get 15+ goals this season and we will over the course of the season may go to 2 up top but I don't think another striker will come in whilst we have 4 in the squad.