The Falkirk FC Thread

A good fighting performance today and scraping a win with bags of grit and character. 
Was surprised Hetherington was not hooked after the challenge just outside the box maybe 15 minutes before he saw red. The ref had no option. 
I would also like to see McCann stepping forward into left mid as there is no way this guy an accomplished LB. Airdrie continuously targeted his weakness and were very successful and at times unlucky not get something. His lack of height is alarming and I can see a target on his back as other teams figure how to break us down. 

Edited by bejazz1

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'd agree with both of you. Felt like more than that but difficult when you are in the stand. Airdrie support was boosted somewhat by there youth players.

Certainly very disappointing attendance for a local derby in August.

Interesting to know how many watched on TV?

8 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

A good fighting performance today and scraping a win with bags of grit and character. 
Was surprised Hetherington was not hooked after the challenge just outside the box maybe 15 minutes before he saw red. The ref had no option. 
I would also like to see McCann stepping forward into left mid as there is no way this guy an accomplished LB. Airdrie continuously targeted his weakness and were very successful and at times unlucky not get something. His lack of height is alarming and I can see a target on his back as other teams figure how to break us down. 

It was his positioning at times more than his lack of height that was the problem for me.. Miller was the same too often letting players get in behind them.  They should be goal side of the wide men and not vice versa.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Anyone know what the story is about Dowds?

Not favoured and will be away before the month is out I'd guess. He's just not been good enough, I'd be wary though if I was Sheerin, Wilson is fucking pish and if big Ompreon turns out to be another Francis, then your overly reliant on Keena keeping fit again, if the incoming striker is another punt.

5 minutes ago, keithgy said:

I said to my laddie last week that i liked Sheerin as he was on the touchline barking what to do and coaching them rather than just shouting.

Was doing the same even when 3-0 up against EK in the challenge cup. 

6 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Not favoured and will be away before the month is out I'd guess. He's just not been good enough, I'd be wary though if I was Sheerin, Wilson is fucking pish and if big Ompreon turns out to be another Francis, then your overly reliant on Keena keeping fit again, if the incoming striker is another punt.

Another striker is a must. Keena's finish today was top quality and showed there's some quality there. Him remaining fit and in some kind of form looks like it will be crucial. Below that, it's paper thin. Dowds is obviously not fancied at all. First look at Ompreon today, and on that showing, descriptions of him as "raw" are on the extremely generous side. Never came close to getting into the game. Don't think he even touched the ball until about the 85th minute. Reilly has been predictably rubbished on here by the usual crew but I'd have him all day long over any of our current striking options bar Keena. 

I ended up seeing only the last 38 minutes of the game, so hard for me to judge. Previous sense of defensively not convincing, midfield probably the best in the league, and front line still needing a foil for Keena as Sammy nowhere near ready, Dowds barely registering on the radar and Wilson working hard, but nowhere near being good enough.

I guess McKay and Dixon are likely to be the main men eventually, so things may well improve there. The front line is far and away the biggest concern. 
Got a feeling Dowds might be a bit like Jordan White…….poor for us, then improves massively elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It was his positioning at times more than his lack of height that was the problem for me.. Miller was the same too often letting players get in behind them.  They should be goal side of the wide men and not vice versa.

I rarely felt McCann's height was an issue at Airdrie. Teams regularly targeted it but I can't remember it ever causing us too many problems, for his height I think he wins a reasonable number of headers against generally taller opponents. As you say, most of the issues today seemed to be getting caught out by long balls over the top of him rather than direct headers. Most teams will probably target him given his height but I'll be surprised if it ever becomes a big problem for you, for me he's the best left-back in the league.

Brilliant to see us actually managing to hold onto a lead especially when we were down to 10 men. There's absolutely no way an m&m team would have done that. As someone has mentioned hopefully Dixon's not out for long but great to see young Lemon putting in an excellent performance in his absence. Still need another bit of quality upfront and hopefully another centre mid.

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I rarely felt McCann's height was an issue at Airdrie. Teams regularly targeted it but I can't remember it ever causing us too many problems, for his height I think he wins a reasonable number of headers against generally taller opponents. As you say, most of the issues today seemed to be getting caught out by long balls over the top of him rather than direct headers. Most teams will probably target him given his height but I'll be surprised if it ever becomes a big problem for you, for me he's the best left-back in the league.

I do wonder if Dixon being missing exacerbated the situation. Whilst I felt lemon played well I'm sure Dixon would've been telling McCann what was required to prevent that issue constantly happening.

1 hour ago, keithgy said:

I take it the Paul Dixon injury was a late thing as MacKenzie Lemon didn't know he was playing till he got to the ground.

Must have been as he was taking part in the video posted on the socials yesterday of training.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Another striker is a must. Keena's finish today was top quality and showed there's some quality there. Him remaining fit and in some kind of form looks like it will be crucial. Below that, it's paper thin. Dowds is obviously not fancied at all. First look at Ompreon today, and on that showing, descriptions of him as "raw" are on the extremely generous side. Never came close to getting into the game. Don't think he even touched the ball until about the 85th minute. Reilly has been predictably rubbished on here by the usual crew but I'd have him all day long over any of our current striking options bar Keena.

Reilly reeks of empty jersey bar a decent spell at QoS and in a St.Mirren promotion winning side full of excellent players around him. Better than Wilson et all, should be, i don't think he's what's required though.