The Falkirk FC Thread

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Not what I'd heard but you're king of the ITK so I must be wrong 

If you read back, you will see a close family member is part of the CI....therefore I do have the “know”. Kieran was not the issue why there was a fall out.

33 minutes ago, kiddy said:

The anticipation of  a pre-season game, v a Hibs B team,  to proclaim the renaming of the McAllister Stand. Is just too much to take in.

Had this conversation before with you and really not sure what your gripe is. A Chelsea A-side would be great but will never be able to guarantee that. Whether it’s Chelsea A, B, C or Hibs B surely the main point is that it’s happening? Frankly I’d happily take Camelon Juniors in a friendly as they are just as significant and the point of the day is to allow fans to celebrate his legacy to the club. Would hope fans would turn up regardless.

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Well I thought Peter grant would've been a good choice to replace m and m but thank to feck we didn't. go down that route. Pars German owners must wonder what the feck they have got themselves into.

He may come good.... hopefully not but as the par fans are saying he has zero management success or proof he was a great appointment, I know you suggested he had contacts, let's look at his pars signings so far..... absolutely nothing says contacts 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Had to chuckle at them chatting about the Brentford model on sky sports and whether other clubs would go down that route.

For me there is not a Brentford model.

They took players from clubs above them and made money from them, what club has not done that ?

The only thing they took in was stats, paid a fortune for a player and lost their money on him, I doubt they buy players strictly on stats now.

The Brentford model is about having a good manager and doing what every club has been doing for years, in that some are successful and some not.....all of that is down to management and recruitment.

It's much easier building an empire with money than no money, this is the Brentford model

Guest Back Post Misses
9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Deans taking the plaudits again for a lot of other boys hard work. Should we really need an announcement of an agreement? It should all have simply been about when not if. 

He will be taking praise for the style of play next after refusing to take the blame for last years shambles. 

Well done to the CI guys, anything that engages people with falkirk can only be positive and good the differences were sorted out. 

I can't help thinking though Falkirk (or other clubs) have been around over 100 years and we should be here for a few hundred more so at some point clubs are going to run out of stands or space to build statues! 

Like so many others I'm heading to airdrie today positive and looking forward to our good start continuing, so good to be enjoying games again. Suppose if things go wrong I can just sit behind someone and moan for 90 minutes in an annoying voice and see if they comment on social media :thumsup2

6 hours ago, MrDust said:

He may come good.... hopefully not but as the par fans are saying he has zero management success or proof he was a great appointment, I know you suggested he had contacts, let's look at his pars signings so far..... absolutely nothing says contacts 

For me there is not a Brentford model.

They took players from clubs above them and made money from them, what club has not done that ?

The only thing they took in was stats, paid a fortune for a player and lost their money on him, I doubt they buy players strictly on stats now.

The Brentford model is about having a good manager and doing what every club has been doing for years, in that some are successful and some not.....all of that is down to management and recruitment.

It's much easier building an empire with money than no money, this is the Brentford model

What a weird thing to say, when there clearly is a Brentford model and it's worked wonders for them.  

The Swiss Ramble (football finance experts) took a look at the net transfer spend of every Premiership and Championship team for the 5 seasons between 2014/15 and 2018/19 and Brentford were the biggest winners with a £35m profit.  Since then they've sold Watkins and Benhrama for a combined £63m (combined purchase price £4.5m).  The players they've signed haven't just been from leagues above them, they've been from Europe, lower leagues and pretty much anywhere they think they can find undervalued assets.

As for the management, the Brentford model isn't just about having a good manager.  It's about having a good first team coach who will fit exactly into the Brentford system which has been designed by the owner and football operations team.  It's why Warburton never lasted there.  Brentford realised that with management being so changeable that it makes sense to have a footballing system in place at the club and to hire a coach that would slot into that, rather than having successive management teams with radically different views on players/footballing styles etc.

Brentford have absolutely been pioneers in applying a more data-driven, analytical, 'moneyball' approach to the game.  Their success both on and off the pitch has been testament to that.  Their clearly is a Brentford model - saying it's just 'hire a good manager and do what other clubs have always done' is, at best, grossly reductive.  

Now there's a question about how long any advantage can be sustained.  In baseball, the early success the Oakland Raiders had with the Moneyball strategy was countered relatively quickly as every other team realised this was the way to go.  

And to bring all the above back to Falkirk.  I don't think that there was anything necessarily wrong on a theoretical level about trying to replicate the Brentford model.  The problem was that we did it in a typically cack-handed and brainless way.

Brentford apply a whole team of scouts and data analysts to identify the targets they need with a view to either their resale value or the additional value they bring to the squad.  They just don't go, "he looked like a player in that game v Blyth Spartans, let's get him in and we'll maybe flog him with a bit luck in a year or two".  I suspect, the latter was more in line with Falkirk's approach.

And to bring all the above back to Falkirk.  I don't think that there was anything necessarily wrong on a theoretical level about trying to replicate the Brentford model.  The problem was that we did it in a typically cack-handed and brainless way.
Brentford apply a whole team of scouts and data analysts to identify the targets they need with a view to either their resale value or the additional value they bring to the squad.  They just don't go, "he looked like a player in that game v Blyth Spartans, let's get him in and we'll maybe flog him with a bit luck in a year or two".  I suspect, the latter was more in line with Falkirk's approach.
There are various Falkirk approaches that you could apply this to tbf. Probably the reason for the hatred of one up front among our fambase is jokers like M&M seeing EPL teams playing 4231 and going yeah that looks good lets try that, versus someone like Sheerin who, fairly obviously already, has laid out the expectations of each position in the system so as to make it actually function.

9 hours ago, Van_damage said:

Had this conversation before with you and really not sure what your gripe is. A Chelsea A-side would be great but will never be able to guarantee that. Whether it’s Chelsea A, B, C or Hibs B surely the main point is that it’s happening? Frankly I’d happily take Camelon Juniors in a friendly as they are just as significant and the point of the day is to allow fans to celebrate his legacy to the club. Would hope fans would turn up regardless.

Aye I agree. Won't even be giving a second thought to whoever the opposition would be for a tribute to the man. That's the not the point at all, and will have absolutely zero bearing on whether I will still be scrambling to get tickets to pay respects to a fantastic and deserved initiative for my favourite player of all time. 

18 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Aye I agree. Won't even be giving a second thought to whoever the opposition would be for a tribute to the man. That's the not the point at all, and will have absolutely zero bearing on whether I will still be scrambling to get tickets to pay respects to a fantastic and deserved initiative for my favourite player of all time. 

I agree with the sentiment here but I think the reality will be quite a low turnout if we organise a game against Hibs or Chelsea B (or C) teams.  

If we're going to honour Crunchie by playing a game with the current squad then better to do it at a league game and try to add a few 00s onto the gate then do the official opening at half time.  A bit like a more official 'Latapy Day'

If going down the route of a separate game then maybe a legends match would be more appealing for folk to come and watch.  Falkirk legends v a Hibs & Chelsea legends select for example.  A bit like the Andy Nicol game where there are some really big names (albeit we'd only get older guys now).  People would turn out I'm sure to see some of the best names we had playing with Crunchie v a team of folk like Pat Nevin, Steve Clarke etc.  

Great this initiative is finally happening though - well deserved recognition for the wee man.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 hour ago, joozy said:

Was just about to type out a similar post before I seen you made it. Falkirks version of the Brentford Model was to sign guys from down south who were plying their trade in the lower leagues or reserve squads of Prem/Champ teams. This may have worked had the club actually put in together a scouting network. But we didn't, H*rtley signed guys he hadn't even watched before 😂. Which is why we ended up with guys who looked like they hadn't kicked a ball before.

Let's say in a hypothetical world, H*rtleys lot didn't start off in a complete disaster and we finished mid table that year, do you think we'd still be trying to implement that model? 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I agree with the sentiment here but I think the reality will be quite a low turnout if we organise a game against Hibs or Chelsea B (or C) teams.  

If we're going to honour Crunchie by playing a game with the current squad then better to do it at a league game and try to add a few 00s onto the gate then do the official opening at half time.  A bit like a more official 'Latapy Day'

If going down the route of a separate game then maybe a legends match would be more appealing for folk to come and watch.  Falkirk legends v a Hibs & Chelsea legends select for example.  A bit like the Andy Nicol game where there are some really big names (albeit we'd only get older guys now).  People would turn out I'm sure to see some of the best names we had playing with Crunchie v a team of folk like Pat Nevin, Steve Clarke etc.  

Great this initiative is finally happening though - well deserved recognition for the wee man.  

And here's the team:

Parkes; Nicol, Babtie, Hughes, McQueen; Houston, Latapy, Stainrod; McAllister, McGivern, McWilliams 

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Was just about to type out a similar post before I seen you made it. Falkirks version of the Brentford Model was to sign guys from down south who were plying their trade in the lower leagues or reserve squads of Prem/Champ teams. This may have worked had the club actually put in together a scouting network. But we didn't, H*rtley signed guys he hadn't even watched before 😂. Which is why we ended up with guys who looked like they hadn't kicked a ball before.

Let's say in a hypothetical world, H*rtleys lot didn't start off in a complete disaster and we finished mid table that year, do you think we'd still be trying to implement that model? 

I'm doubtful the model would have worked longer term, even if we had fluked a successful season, for a few reasons.

We lack the initial advantages that Brentford had when they implemented it.  They were lucky in the sense that they were bought by a guy who had a well established football data and statistics business.  They could hit the ground running so to speak and clubs at their level in 2012 (League 1) would have had nothing to match that.  To build it from scratch internally would take a whole lot of time and money, plus I'd imagine it's easier to find people with the necessary skills to create such a platform in London than Falkirk.  I'd imagine there's quite a few third parties that offer these sort of services to football clubs - but their expertise is probably more relevant to a higher level of club than Falkirk.

Also, at the levels we'd be looking for players, I'm not sure it'd be easy to get the level of data needed for it to really work.  There's just not as many cameras filming non-league, reserve matches etc.

Our take on the Brentford model just seemed to rely on the old-school scouting network and watching a player a couple of times.  You might get lucky for a bit, but if it turns out we had by some fluke found a 'superscout' it wouldn't be that long before they were headhunted themself.  And then you're back to square one.