The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
2 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I agree. The positive feel is refreshing. We all know that bad results are going to happen but from his interviews I think he has the personality and guile to sort things. We won't walk this league as all games are bruising but I think after the EK game we know that the depth is there. Too early to judge yet?

With respect we were playing a club two levels below us. As Reggie says too many getting a bit ahead of themselves. Not saying it is not a promising start - it is. However far too early to fully judge anything far less squad depth. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

53 minutes ago, BudBairn said:

Why did we get rid of Michael Higdon?

He was out of contract and chose to sign for St.Mirren. Bit of an enigma was big Higgy, if he was on his game he could be terrific, if he wasn't he was like a man short but he'll always be a hero for scoring the goal that kept us up.

2 hours ago, BudBairn said:

No idea why Hughes didn't sign him up on a new deal to ward off other clubs  unless he just couldn't be arsed as he was leaving too. Was the premier League player of the year a few seasons later.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

5 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I agree. The positive feel is refreshing. We all know that bad results are going to happen but from his interviews I think he has the personality and guile to sort things. We won't walk this league as all games are bruising but I think after the EK game we know that the depth is there. Too early to judge yet?

yes, this is the boat I'm in.

Been burnt too many times in the past so treading cautiously.  All the signs so far are good(apart from the absence of The Beatles White album track.... "no.9, No,9, No.9")

The big thing for me is the football style changing.  That's a big thing for me personally as I really couldn't handle another season of hoofball. 

But yeah, I think we need to judge things after the first quarter...or I will anyway.

3 hours ago, BudBairn said:

There’s no doubt he improved massively after leaving us as the Higdon that Motherwell got was miles better than the one we had. 
He started off well enough in the first season and was part of a really goo front 3 with Finnigan/Barrett on the right and Pedro on the left but got a bad injury at home to Aberdeen in the January and never really looked the same player. Second season he was at best ‘ok’ but was the right thing to move him on IMO but we never replaced him which was the issue. 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

With respect we were playing a club two levels below us. As Reggie says too many getting a bit ahead of themselves. Not saying it is not a promising start - it is. However far too early to fully judge anything far less squad depth. 

Totally agree with the lack of depth in the squad but what I was encouraged by on Wednesday night was the quality shown by the younger players and that we played with the same philosophy as the first team. I get that we were playing a team 2 tiers below us but I`ve been around long enough to see our first team falter against similar opposition on more than one occasion. Also agree that it`s very early days to get excited and knowing us, it won`t be plain sailing. The real test will be how we deal with a period of poor form if and when it happens.

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Sheerin reporting in the Herald that Williamson and Mckay are still out for tomorrow. I'd go with the below.

Mutch
C.Williamson Hall Dixon Mccann
Telfer Hetherington
Nesbitt
Morrison Keena Mcguffie

Can’t believe I’m saying this but Id go same but Miller for C. Williamson. With McCann small I would want some extra height given we know what to expect from Airdrie

25 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Sheerin reporting in the Herald that Williamson and Mckay are still out for tomorrow. I'd go with the below.

Mutch
C.Williamson Hall Dixon Mccann
Telfer Hetherington
Nesbitt
Morrison Keena Mcguffie

Id be tempted to throw Lemon in instead of Hall. As someone mentioned the amount of times he gets the ball trapped under himself will cost us. Maybe too much for Lemon so soon perhaps

Just now, GeordieBairn said:

Id be tempted to throw Lemon in instead of Hall. As someone mentioned the amount of times he gets the ball trapped under himself will cost us. Maybe too much for Lemon so soon perhaps

I think Lemon will spend the season learning off of Dixon and filling in for Dixon in certain games being left sided. I doubt we'll see the two of them play in the same centre back pairing given they are both left sided. He was excellent on Wednesday though.

1 hour ago, fuzzydunlop said:

yes, this is the boat I'm in.

Been burnt too many times in the past so treading cautiously.  All the signs so far are good(apart from the absence of The Beatles White album track.... "no.9, No,9, No.9")

The big thing for me is the football style changing.  That's a big thing for me personally as I really couldn't handle another season of hoofball. 

But yeah, I think we need to judge things after the first quarter...or I will anyway.

This is it for me as well. Not getting carried away by any means but by christ it's night and day. I actually feel entertained watching this team. Its not a slog or a chore through pure love of the club, its actually great to watch and the players seem to have a chemistry building which is bonding with the fans as well. 

18 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Mutch

Miller Hall Dixon McCann

Hetherington Telfer 

Morrison Nesbitt McGuffie

Keena 

Is how I’d imagine we line up tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Mutch

Miller Hall Dixon McCann

Hetherington Telfer 

Morrison Nesbitt McGuffie

Keena 

Is how I’d imagine we line up tomorrow.

What’s the hype around Robbie Mutch? He wasn’t that great last season and has made a few costly mistakes. The red card against Forfar and the mistake against Arbroath springs to mind. After Paddy Martins incredible debut I would be tempted to put him in between the sticks on Saturday. 

32 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

What’s the hype around Robbie Mutch? He wasn’t that great last season and has made a few costly mistakes. The red card against Forfar and the mistake against Arbroath springs to mind. After Paddy Martins incredible debut I would be tempted to put him in between the sticks on Saturday. 

Its a fair point but I'd expect with the new manager coming in he won't be looking at what happened last season and judging players in training and what goes on the pitch during the games they oversee.  Means Mutch is kept on his toes knowing he's got someone breathing down his neck so hopefully win-win for us.

57 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

It'll be a case of Mutch is there until he makes a mistake or has a bad day can't really drop him until that happens.