The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

If only utd bought him a treadmill !

One of the most ridiculous statements I'll read this decade......United signing = you have made it 

Rice was a good fit for Hamilton in the top league, for what I gather his defensive style ain't for the championship. I personally didn't want him at Falkirk when he was being quoted.

Stennie pie stall was opened on Tuesday

How many full time strikers get 20 goals ?

I know you have stated league one but 20 is a ridiculous high number no matter the league

The management team deserve the early plaudits. We are a full time team playing in a mainly part time league, some of the players we have signed were rumoured to been M&M targets.

Drawn one won one is premature ejaculation to be waving flags and if you are including last night's game...... I will say no more....

As for game tonight, I watched it via my phone due to shits n giggles. I thought EK were the better team first half,first goal killed them and when we brought on more first team players the level difference shone through. 

Tbh I took more from the game than  Motherwell, Ross County and Livingston in their ties....only just. I have a lot of affection for the tournament, for me it helped grow our youngsters under Elvis and win it but also glad we won it before it became an experiment/farce. 

The last tournament wasnt played to finish and was awarded to two teams who reached the final, previously a team outside Scotland said fuk it at the quarter final stage. The b&q cup was a low value competition but the governing bodies made it a joke competition

If you're a full time striker wanting to make it in the game then you should be looking for that kind of number in part time league one if you ask me especially if you are playing for one of the better sides in it. In recent seasons Shankland got 26, nisbett 30. Christ even Andy Ryan got 23 and  Liam Buchanan and el bakhtaoui got 22 each.  You won't be full time very long if you aren't hitting those kinds of numbers at this level 

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If you're a full time striker wanting to make it in the game then you should be looking for that kind of number in part time league one if you ask me especially if you are playing for one of the better sides in it. In recent seasons Shankland got 26, nisbett 30. Christ even Andy Ryan got 23 and  Liam Buchanan and el bakhtaoui got 22 each.  You won't be full time very long if you aren't hitting those kinds of numbers at this level 

And the one thing these guys all have in common is they hadn’t done it before that time. My point is and has always been we won’t sign someone who has proved they can do it, we can only hope they hit those sort of numbers with us, like what the names above have done

Very comfortable win last night by essentially our 2nd X1.

Possession must have been very high & we more than deserved the goals we got.

Really impressed with Lemon at CB, the younger Williamson at RB, Krasniqi in the holding role & Seb Ross too. The latter took his goal really well too.

Cracking finish by Keena with the Free Kick & until anyone more deserving comes in, must be our starting striker. 

Thought the crowd would have been slightly higher although can’t be too shocked when it was £5 cheaper to watch in the house which I gather a good few locals did. Fair play to those who went to the stadium & could. Can see a big away crowd at Airdrie on Saturday. 

Edited by RC55 FFC

4 hours ago, MrDust said:

If only utd bought him a treadmill !

One of the most ridiculous statements I'll read this decade......United signing = you have made it

He signed a 3 year deal with a Dundee United team who had just finished 4th in the Premiership and were in the Europa league qualifying. He then turned up overweight to his first preseason what other conclusion would you draw from that other than in his mind he'd made it and let himself go that summer?

Kra Kra Krasniqi, lover of the Russian queen x

Good to see Keena get a goal. I definitely think he's good enough to be our number 9. 

This may be a 'terrible football take' from me, but if Wilson is used to press the defence and 'f**k shit up' then surely we have enough quality in behind him from Morrison Nesbitt and McGuffie to grab goals? I'd expect the 3 of them to have a healthy amount between them. We've seen in modern football that Strikers don't have to chip in with 20 goals a season for teams to win leagues. 

I would much rather prefer Keena up top btw but I'm not totally writing Wilson off from playing a part this year. 

31 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Kra Kra Krasniqi, lover of the Russian queen x

Good to see Keena get a goal. I definitely think he's good enough to be our number 9. 

This may be a 'terrible football take' from me, but if Wilson is used to press the defence and 'f**k shit up' then surely we have enough quality in behind him from Morrison Nesbitt and McGuffie to grab goals? I'd expect the 3 of them to have a healthy amount between them. We've seen in modern football that Strikers don't have to chip in with 20 goals a season for teams to win leagues. 

I would much rather prefer Keena up top btw but I'm not totally writing Wilson off from playing a part this year. 

Wilson's not up to it but thankfully it looks like Sheerin's identified his error early on and hence why he's brought in another striker and is hopefully still looking to add one more as well. Dowds not even coming on last night looks to be the end of him so he'll be up for grabs on loan if we do bring in another striker I'd imagine.

After Lemon's performance last night if it's just the two more players we'll be bringing in i'm hoping it's another centre midfielder and a striker. With Dowds then going out on loan we'd have a squad of 23. Difficult to see where Krasniqi is going to get games in our system as Telfer's our best player and Hetherington's the club captain. Unless the plan is to move Telfer on one and Nesbitt out wide left. With Krasniqi and Hetherington sitting.

Edited by FFC 1876

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Wilson's not up to it but thankfully it looks like Sheerin's identified his error early on and hence why he's brought in another striker and is hopefully still looking to add one more as well. Dowds not even coming on last night looks to be the end of him so he'll be up for grabs on loan if we do bring in another striker I'd imagine.

After Lemon's performance last night if it's just the two more players we'll be bringing in i'm hoping it's another centre midfielder and a striker. With Dowds then going out on loan we'd have a squad of 23. Difficult to see where Krasniqi is going to get games in our system as Telfer's our best player and Hetherington's the club captain. Unless the plan is to move Telfer on one and Nesbitt out wide left. With Krasniqi and Hetherington sitting.

Don't get me wrong, if we bring an experienced first team striker in and loan one of the fringe guys out I'll be more than happy. 

It's a long season, we need guys that will be able to come in and do jobs, just look at the end of last season when we fell apart after a few injuries. Big Krasniqi will get plenty of game time imho. 

First live view of the team last night.

Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the 'fringe' players. I thought that Lemon and Krasniqi were excellent given it was there first starts and C Williamson, despite being out of position, and Weekes both showed that they can come in and influence the game too. Ompreon needs a bit of development though although, again, could be a useful sub in games. Martin was good too and should certainly be pushing Mutch for the jersey.

Seb Ross was MOM for me though; he was everywhere and took his goal very well. I didn't expect to see him influence the play so much which maybe shows the difference between Sheerin and Hartley?

Slight negatives: I lost count of the number of times that Hall got the ball trapped under his feet, could've been punished against better quality opposition. Wilson didn't offer very much, although he was nowhere near as bad as I expected and I thought that he actually looked better when he went wide. Hopefully Nesbitt hasn't picked up an injury as he took a sore one shortly before he went off.

Special mention for Keena who looked determined to get a goal, which he took well. Showed his quality when he took the defence out with that one touch with his knee, was great awareness from him.

Not getting carried away at all given the opposition although, their claim that they would need to play a team of kids didn't exactly play out when you consider that they had Erskine, Millar and Wylde, to name a few, in the staring line up!

Someone earlier posted that EK were the better team in the first half.

No.

Keena must be the starting striker, there was a period just after he an Morrison came on that EK couldn’t get a kick of the ball.

Wilson is not good enough even to be considered a squad player, Dowds appears to be completely out of the picture and whilst the Sammy lad has a bit about him he needs a lot of game time (on loan?) before he is ready to challenge for a regular place.

Midfield is looking surprisingly good with options to spare.

Defence a work in progress until injuries clear up but very promising showing from Lemon last night.

Keeper looked good last night but would want to see him in a more competitive game before passing judgement.

It was a great save from Martin, and he didn't put a glove wrong throughout the game. Hopefully Mutch will have to up his game to keep the number 1 jersey.

I didn't think it was a foul for their penalty at the time and looking back on it any sort of 'contact' wasn't even inside the box. The arm does come out from Lemon but the guy is already half way to the ground by that point 

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 10.36.48.png

8 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

It was a great save from Martin, and he didn't put a glove wrong throughout the game. Hopefully Mutch will have to up his game to keep the number 1 jersey.

I didn't think it was a foul for their penalty at the time and looking back on it any sort of 'contact' wasn't even inside the box. The arm does come out from Lemon but the guy is already half way to the ground by that point 

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 10.36.48.png

The referee wasn’t great last night.

11 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Got to laugh at the idea Holt deserves any credit for any success that could happen this year. Lewis from falkirk tv could have signed our first 11 and first subs this year (offer long contracts for more money).

Squad is comparable if not worse than previous seasons (as shown by ex players eg aidan connolly slotting straight into a decent Raith team). Any success falls solely on the shoulders of Mr Sheerin and Grainger. Let’s hope they continue the so far very decent work 

Did you notice that all our squads that were good on paper ended up being shite, aye? So a weaker squad that actually works might be good, aye? And then we could still discuss holt, aye? 

The lengths you lot will go to to discredit Holt is nothing short of a joke. I can accept neutrality on his position or criticism of some of the decisions since January (remember he only joined 7 fecking months ago), but people are simply trying to blame him for stuff he didn't even have anything to with. If we go up with a 4th consecutive new squad and a youth setup in place, there will still be folk chatting like you and I really need to find a way to not seethe at every single one of these types of comment. In my opinion they're nothing short of shite comments on a human level and shite in terms of footballing assessment. Bring on the -9 like yous do for Dawson Park, but there must be some folk on here willing to at least try and stay objective. 

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Did you notice that all our squads that were good on paper ended up being shite, aye? So a weaker squad that actually works might be good, aye? And then we could still discuss holt, aye? 

The lengths you lot will go to to discredit Holt is nothing short of a joke. I can accept neutrality on his position or criticism of some of the decisions since January (remember he only joined 7 fecking months ago), but people are simply trying to blame him for stuff he didn't even have anything to with. If we go up with a 4th consecutive new squad and a youth setup in place, there will still be folk chatting like you and I really need to find a way to not seethe at every single one of these types of comment. In my opinion they're nothing short of shite comments on a human level and shite in terms of footballing assessment. Bring on the -9 like yous do for Dawson Park, but there must be some folk on here willing to at least try and stay objective. 

I’d argue there’s only one of us not being “objective” here and that isn’t me. Recruitment for the first team bang average. If that isn’t his job, and his job is solely to start up a development squad at U18/15 level, the fans deserve to know that. 

Edited by bairn88

The improvement we have seen so far this year has been in style of play, confidence on the ball, proper set pieces routines and fluidity in positions within the formation. That's all the head coach, nothing to do with the DoF or whatever Holt's title is.

Recruitment has been slightly better than under M&M but it's all much of a muchness really. I think we've gone for slightly younger players with more pace/ legs/ energy this year, which is probably the main difference.

Remembering Telfer & Connolly were both McKinnon signings, as was McManus.

Morrison was the stand out recruit from last summer and it's looking like Nesbitt will easily be the pick of the bunch from this window (though getting both the fullback positions finally sorted has also helped).

Last season we signed Leitch and Francis and this season we have Ompreon and Wilson. That may be an unfair comparison given they have only had a couple of games to show us what they can do, but if either can better the 2 goals each managed by their predecessors I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Completely agree with others in that it is the style of football, coaching and playing players in their natural position that is making the difference here (remember when M&M kept playing Josh Todd on the left wing lolz).

I'm not saying recruitment isn't important (and tbf we seem to have targeted signing players for positions this season rather than the previous scattergun-and-shoehorn approach) but how the team is set up is such a big factor these days. Look at the difference Brendan Rogers made to the existing Celtic players when he went there. All credit to Sheerin so far and long may it continue.

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876