The Falkirk FC Thread

Big Krasniqi can play a bit, will be good when we need to cycle possession around. Remains to be seen what he can do in the defensive side of things, not taking anything from that tonight. Midfield as a whole was good again, feels like years since I’ve said something like that. Really pleased with the options we have in there.

Fairly happy with Melon, Weekes and Williamson’s performances tonight, the latter done well while very clearly uncomfortable on his right foot. 

The only glaring fault in our team is the strikers, which fingers crossed is rectified with either Keena hitting form or another signing. Wilson offers very very little, Dowds seems to have been written off then we’ve got Sammy. He’s the type of guy you bring on when the games dead and you just want to take the piss a bit. Very surprised if he’s here for longer than a year.

Interesting game tonight to see the young lads.

Krasniqi struggled at the start but became much better as the game progressed. There is a plyer in there. With Weekes we have for once, another wide guy to Morrison....always wanting to take on defenders and move forward. The 2 highlights were the goalie and Lemon who I thought was outstanding for his 1st game ...the lad strolled it.

Ompreon I'm not sure about, but hope that he learns from tonight. He should have seen this match to stake a place in the front line, but didnt really do anything to justify a start anytime soon. Caught offside too often, the ball didnt stcik to his feet, defenders knocked him of fthe ball too easily. Early days though ! 

7 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Big Krasniqi can play a bit, will be good when we need to cycle possession around. Remains to be seen what he can do in the defensive side of things, not taking anything from that tonight. Midfield as a whole was good again, feels like years since I’ve said something like that. Really pleased with the options we have in there.

Fairly happy with Melon, Weekes and Williamson’s performances tonight, the latter done well while very clearly uncomfortable on his right foot. 

The only glaring fault in our team is the strikers, which fingers crossed is rectified with either Keena hitting form or another signing. Wilson offers very very little, Dowds seems to have been written off then we’ve got Sammy. He’s the type of guy you bring on when the games dead and you just want to take the piss a bit. Very surprised if he’s here for longer than a year.

gurdy GIF

I know this is sacrilege but could it turn out that Gary Holt actually knew what he was doing with his signings earlier this summer before Sheerin got here? Slice of humble pie anyone? I've already had my slice. (goes and hides behind the couch to avoid the artillery of hostile replies).
May be an image of dessert and text that says "Humble Pie"

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

8 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I know this is sacrilege but could it turn out that Gary Holt knew what he was doing with his signings earlier this summer before Sheerin got here?   (goes and hides behind the couch to avoid the artillery of hostile replies).  

Very possibly- I wasn’t impressed by signings like Nesbitt and McGuffie but they have done well so far.

21 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I know this is sacrilege but could it turn out that Gary Holt knew what he was doing with his signings earlier this summer before Sheerin got here?   (goes and hides behind the couch to avoid the artillery of hostile replies).  

Be careful. Anytime I’ve mentioned Holt in a positive light, I’ve had sh... pored over me.

If you include the 3 youngsters, we’re now at a squad size of 22 so it’ll be interesting to see if more signings come in.

I’d say we could maybe do with one more as cover for the 3 behind the striker. There’s not much point in signing another striker unless he’s a proven goal scorer.

Otherwise though I’d rather give the youth players game time when possible as all 3 look to be good prospects. 

8 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Here, how did that bloke that brought down Keena get away without a card?

To be fair the ref evened that out by not giving Lemon anything either but it was a shocking decision at the time.

Edited by FFC 1876

Enjoyed watching the youngsters tonight. Pick of the bunch was probably Lemon, and Martin also looked assured.

I was encouraged by Kasniqi's debut and does give us some vital height as well, though he needs to push up the park a bit sometimes. 

Ross played really well and probably my MotM, took his goal nicely and always looked to try and pass forward.

Wilson with another poor performance - this time against extremely poor opposition. He's not a horrendous player, he just doesn't do anything. Takes up weird positions on the pitch as well, so many times in the first half everyone was in shape and he was floating somewhere between the left wing and up front.

Ompreon looked exactly as described, raw. Possibly a player in there but no where near ready for first team football at League 1 level IMO. Constantly getting caught offside as well despite East Kilbride's high line. A bit more discipline and he'd have been in on goal at least a couple of times. I'd be loaning him out along with Wilson at least until January.

Good to see Keena getting a goal and some more game time which should help his confidence, along with some more minutes for Hetherington, Telfer and Morrison once the game was won.

The ref was... I'm being kind here when I say some of the decisions were highly questionable. No red card given for Keena being scythed down from behind when through on goal? Not even a yellow was totally perplexing, even if the defender was already on a booking. The penalty given to East Kilbride looked unbelievably soft as well. I can only assume it was basically through taking pity on the opposition, which is poor. 

The squad is coming together nicely, another attacking midfield option and a striker and I think we'll be looking pretty good.

Got to laugh at the idea Holt deserves any credit for any success that could happen this year. Lewis from falkirk tv could have signed our first 11 and first subs this year (offer long contracts for more money).

Squad is comparable if not worse than previous seasons (as shown by ex players eg aidan connolly slotting straight into a decent Raith team). Any success falls solely on the shoulders of Mr Sheerin and Grainger. Let’s hope they continue the so far very decent work 

13 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

When he got his move to Dundee United he must have thought he'd made it and downed tools. Turned up about 2 stone overweight to his first pre season with them and Houstie was raging. Can't fault his effort or attitude with us as he was brilliant here in both spells but just seems to have wasted the talent he had like many others. I'd even make a case from him to get in my all time bairns team and if not he'd definitely be one of my first subs. Dictated games with us, could play with either foot and got right stuck in. Was also prone to a peach of a goal from outside the box.

If only utd bought him a treadmill !

One of the most ridiculous statements I'll read this decade......United signing = you have made it 

12 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Brian Rice away from Hamilton, think we dodged one there. Was a good player for us but not convinced he would have been a good fit as gaffer for us.

Rice was a good fit for Hamilton in the top league, for what I gather his defensive style ain't for the championship. I personally didn't want him at Falkirk when he was being quoted.

10 hours ago, brokeville said:

Pies on sale at Morton’s games.

https://www.gmfc.net/cappielow-covid-protocol-update/

Stennie pie stall was opened on Tuesday

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Wilson is simply pish. Not his fault we signed him but I'd be surprised if he's here long.  If your a  fulltime striker  and can't get 20 goals a season in league one then you're in the wrong job.

How many full time strikers get 20 goals ?

I know you have stated league one but 20 is a ridiculous high number no matter the league

6 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I know this is sacrilege but could it turn out that Gary Holt actually knew what he was doing with his signings earlier this summer before Sheerin got here? Slice of humble pie anyone? I've already had my slice. (goes and hides behind the couch to avoid the artillery of hostile replies).
May be an image of dessert and text that says "Humble Pie"

The management team deserve the early plaudits. We are a full time team playing in a mainly part time league, some of the players we have signed were rumoured to been M&M targets.

Drawn one won one is premature ejaculation to be waving flags and if you are including last night's game...... I will say no more....

As for game tonight, I watched it via my phone due to shits n giggles. I thought EK were the better team first half,first goal killed them and when we brought on more first team players the level difference shone through. 

Tbh I took more from the game than  Motherwell, Ross County and Livingston in their ties....only just. I have a lot of affection for the tournament, for me it helped grow our youngsters under Elvis and win it but also glad we won it before it became an experiment/farce. 

The last tournament wasnt played to finish and was awarded to two teams who reached the final, previously a team outside Scotland said fuk it at the quarter final stage. The b&q cup was a low value competition but the governing bodies made it a joke competition

Edited by MrDust

“Today, without any previous indications, we received a letter of resignation from Brian Rice.

“Whilst it has come as a surprise, we now fully understand his reasoning for leaving at this time, and have, with regret, accepted his resignation.

“It has been an extremely difficult 18 months dealing with all the issues surrounding the pandemic, including the recent relegation from the Premiership, and there’s no doubt that it has taken its toll on Brian, his staff and everyone connected to the club.”

Sounds like sadly Ricey may still have his personal challenges . I wish him all the best , to me a Falkirk Great and part of a team that represented the best of times being a Falkirk fan. 

Guest Back Post Misses

Feet on the ground for me still. Sheerin certainly looks to have the team playing well and should take all the plaudits. But until we play a few more games I think we should all not get ahead of ourselves. The squad still looks thin to me in some areas, up front especially. 

As far as Holt goes - his track record of not hanging about anywhere will come home to roost.