The Falkirk FC Thread

Great being back at the stadium! Thought we were excellent from (almost) start to (almost) finish. Barring a bit of rustiness at the very start and sloppily and needlessly giving away a goal at the end we bossed the game throughout. 

Some really nice play all over the park and nice to see players raise their heads and play the ball to where players actually are, compared to last season's great balls to no-one.

Having up-front alternatives meant that we couldn't just be contained by stopping Morrison, which seemed to be a real problem last season. 

Genuinely hard to pick out anyone for outright derision today and the number of players that deserve praise are actually too many to go through one by one. 

Thought Sammy up front showed some promise. As Sheerin said, raw but could come good. 

Me? Happy clapper? Yup. Now bugger off and let me enjoy it while I can - it's been a while. 

5 hours ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Indeed. It could have been. But it wasn't. 

Performances like that will see you back where you belong in the championship.

Your keeper although having a few cracking stops did not seem great at collecting the ball from crosses and opted to punch much to the displeasure of a defender or two.

2 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Another great interview with Sheerin. Not happy with losing that goal and made it very clear by the sound of it. Good to hear that he knows Sammy E is very raw but can see his qualities and when we can use them. A lot better than the bland interviews of the last few seasons

See I didn't like that as it's near enough word for word how M&M described Akeel Francis when he signed. Very raw, pacey and room to develop. Obviously hoping for a lot more than another Akeel Francis but as some have said hopefully there's still a number 9 to come in.

Keena was ok today but still needs a few games to get up to speed and gain that match sharpness back.

See I didn't like that as it's near enough word for word how M&M described Akeel Francis when he signed. Very raw, pacey and room to develop. Obviously hoping for a lot more than another Akeel Francis but as some have said hopefully there's still a number 9 to come in.
Keena was ok today but still needs a few games to get up to speed and gain that match sharpness back.
What Keana needs is a hatrick. It would really bring that wee bit of confidence. Strikers are driven by success

11 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

On the surface, a point against Cove and beating Peterhead by the odd goal in three isn’t that great, but performances seem to point to something better just over the horizon.

Cove have lost very few games at home since entering the league and we had the covid debacle. I think 97% Falkirk fans would've bit yer hand off for 4pts outta 6 after two games with the above circumstances, to say it's not great is bewildering.

11 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Were raving about him on sky sports. Yet McKinnon would rather pick that diddy Aaron Jarvis instead. Sums up that cretin completely.

I still think some are taking Lavery to be a player who would've saved us. I watched him plenty times in the reserves and my thoughts were O'Hara looked the better option. The reserves never the true indication but one thing is for sure, both O'Hara and Lavery were better than Jarvis and McKinnon is unemployed for a reason.

15 hours ago, FalkirkLad said:

That’s as good a game as you are going to get from Morrison when Williamson is injured and Miller is filling in because they know he’s not even attempting to go by him. If Williamson can come back and stay fit then that right side will take some stopping. 

Miller last week was on a shortlist of him or Dixon for MoM, didn't quite reach that level yesterday but it gave Morrison more license to be better than his performance last week 

12 hours ago, Wee wasp said:

How did stevie hetherington play ? Maybe now he's captain his booking count might go down😂😂, he was always a favourite at alloa though,  wholehearted player 

I'm not fully convinced with him tbh, he can be quite careless in possession and his passing. I squirmed with Lewis saying he is performing like Scott McKenzie. I ain't giving him the Wilson treatment as it's too early to fully slate even Wilson. McGuffie probably I felt similarly about but he was MoM or thereabouts today..

As for another striker coming in, I'm not too sure. If we are playing one striker then Sammy, Keena, Wilson and Dowds into one place is ample. One them would need to go surely

Edited by MrDust

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit you were wrong. When we were top last season I didn't want M&M out thinking we'd get up they'd have some experience behind them and we'd improve the team for a season in the championship how wrong could you get. The performance v Airdrie with a play off place at stake was a disgrace. The difference between last season and this is night and day, last season's team would've used the covid isolation as an excuse to hide during the game. We look like a football team not 11 individuals running about.  Last season stop Morrison and we had nothing else. Early days but looking good so far. 

P.s anyone know if South stand and south stand bar are open on Wednesday for EK game?

Guest Back Post Misses

I like Sheerin.
Didn’t see the game and the highlights are not great so you can’t tell from them how good we were. 
Promising by the sounds though. 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I like Sheerin.
Didn’t see the game and the highlights are not great so you can’t tell from them how good we were. 

Just watched the highlights, bit puzzled that the passage of play mentioned in Sheerins interview as being a Barcelona-esque, 18 pass sequence got cut down to 2 passes and a cross.......

Good performance yesterday and I was delighted with some of the football we played. It definitely feels like we're a couple of games behind where we want to be with getting the players match sharp and used to the new system, we were quite sloppy on the ball in the last 20 minutes or so. Reckon with Williamson and McKay in for Miller and Hall plus a few more games to bed in then we'll be looking pretty good.
If we're playing 1 up front then we need to bring in some decent backup for the 3 behind the striker, if Morrison is injured I don't know who plays there and he'll need a rest at some point.

11 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Good performance yesterday and I was delighted with some of the football we played. It definitely feels like we're a couple of games behind where we want to be with getting the players match sharp and used to the new system, we were quite sloppy on the ball in the last 20 minutes or so. Reckon with Williamson and McKay in for Miller and Hall plus a few more games to bed in then we'll be looking pretty good.
If we're playing 1 up front then we need to bring in some decent backup for the 3 behind the striker, if Morrison is injured I don't know who plays there and he'll need a rest at some point.

If Morrison got injured Nesbitt or Weekes would take his place. Whereas if Telfer or Hetherington get injured we're stuck with Gary Miller as the only cover in the middle of the park. Interested to see how Lemon looks on Wednesday hopefully there's potential there.

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

I like Sheerin.

Yeah I thought the highlights were dire too. Six minutes long and that included over a minute of the team walking out plus a minute's silence, almost a minute of the team wandering off at the end, and countless replays. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

If Morrison got injured Nesbitt or Weekes would take his place. Whereas if Telfer or Hetherington get injured we're stuck with Gary Miller as the only cover in the middle of the park. Interested to see how Lemon looks on Wednesday hopefully there's potential there.

I think they’ll use Seb Ross if Telfer or Hetherington are unavailable, but you’re spot on that we need more cover for that position 

If you're being entirely selfish I'd want another right back, another defensive midfielder, another attacking midfielder and another striker.

Essentially cover for positions where Gary Miller is currently that cover, plus a couple more options in the final third

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Yeah I thought the highlights were dire too. Six minutes long and that included over a minute of the team walking out plus a minute's silence, almost a minute of the team wandering off at the end, and countless replays. 

I suppose it can't be easy when you have volunteers rushing to get highlights out for 12 on a Saturday night and if they aren't out you get folk complaining where are the highlights.  Let's face it they have other things to do too so sometimes they are going to be cobbled together a bit.  I wonder if they'd be better just sticking the goals out at 12 and then taking their time on the highlights.

11 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Yeah you don't want to end up like last season again without a competent striker on our books for one reason or another.  I'm all for taking a gamble on a boy but we seem to be rolling the dice on Wilson and the new boy without a reliable striker in place already. Different if Keena was firing but we again still don't really know what we're going to get from him. If another striker comes in then we've got 5 strikers fighting for one place really whilst we have holes elsewhere in the squad. Wilson seems to be a complete waste of a squad place and wage when we need cover in other parts of the pitch.

We won't go with five strikers if another does arrive. One will go out on loan, probably Dowds, as Sheerin I think prefers Keena, and has only just signed Sammy and Wilson so can't see them going anywhere at least not yet. I'd still like another defender and midfielder in but listening to Sheerin I'm not convinced that will happen, he seems to be quite impressed by some of the youngsters. 

17 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He has at least one screw up a game though and whilst other players may be lucky enough to get away with them his invariably end up in a goal. We were two goals to the good today so we got away with it but if we're playing queen's park or another side in a big match that's in the balance and he does that then it will cost us. Surely isn't asking too much to get a centrehalf that can get through a whole game in league one without screwing up .

You should really be hoping that Hall plays in every game!