The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Just wondering if Dowds would make a better centre half than striker ? He looks big enough. Might be worth a try. Happened before with Yogi !

Don't disagree, although he's not what you would call dominant in the air.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

Still don't see the why the Dowds hate. I've never watched a single game he has featured and thought he is absolutely shite, like akeel and dennon levels of shite. Definite potential in there imo. Hopefully a decent style of football and a semi competent coach can bring this out in him. 

At what level though? The team is awash with L1 players, and a slack handful who should be capable in the Championship. Coaching an existing first team player up to L1 standard  shouldn’t be where the available coaching man hours are spent. 

Don’t think there’s any hate either. The guy hasn’t shown anything to say he has what it takes at this level right now…..and that’s of no use to a first team squad as ropey as FFCs.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

At what level though? The team is awash with L1 players, and a slack handful who should be capable in the Championship. Coaching an existing first team player up to L1 standard  shouldn’t be where the available coaching man hours are spent. 

Don’t think there’s any hate either. The guy hasn’t shown anything to say he has what it takes at this level right now…..and that’s of no use to a first team squad as ropey as FFCs.

Disagree - it’s way too early to write Dowds off.

We are playing a different style this season and he has enough of a football brain to fit into that style and both score and create goals . The main thing he needs to do is lose half a stone and sharpen up and that doesn’t take any coaching time it’s just about his application and his desire . Unfortunately I don’t know anything about his character or determination . In his case it’s these factors that will determine e whether he will succeed or fail at this level . Overall he has the potential to play in the championship and there is a long list worse than him who have played for us at that level .

16 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

St Johnstone play Galatasaray at home next week in a European tie after drawing first leg. We are at home to East Kilbride in the Diddy McDiddy Cup. If ever there was a stark reminder of the appauling stewardship of our club over the last ten years this is it.

Yes , they have the 2 major domestic cups in their trophy cabinet and drawing away in Europe with the likes of Galatasaray  whilst we are now counting Cove Rangers & Queens Park as our main rivals.

Remember we used to be St Johnstone's equal & indeed better than them on occasion.

The blame for our fall & this chasm of a difference is squarely on the successive BODs & the MSG - most of whom are still around.  

Guest Back Post Misses
5 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Disagree - it’s way too early to write Dowds off.

We are playing a different style this season and he has enough of a football brain to fit into that style and both score and create goals . The main thing he needs to do is lose half a stone and sharpen up and that doesn’t take any coaching time it’s just about his application and his desire . Unfortunately I don’t know anything about his character or determination . In his case it’s these factors that will determine e whether he will succeed or fail at this level . Overall he has the potential to play in the championship and there is a long list worse than him who have played for us at that level .

No it isn’t too early to write him off. He has been full time with us for 16 months and still to lose weight in your eyes? 
If we are to progress as a club we need better quality than Dowds. If we thought he was the answer he would be playing in front of Wilson and we wouldn’t be trying to get another striker in. Mediocre player signed by M&M in a panic when we lost out on McManus last season. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

17 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

"Have you lost weight?"  "Blue really is your colour, isn't it?" "Are those new boots that you are wearing?"  "I think those new boots helped you score that lovely goal!" 😋

It's been a while since I've seen the riddler on batman circa Burt Ward .....cheers

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

No it isn’t too early to write him off. He has been full time with us for 16 months and still to lose weight in your eyes? 
If we are to progress as a club we need better quality than Dowds. If we thought he was the answer he would be playing in front of Wilson and we wouldn’t be trying to get another striker in. Mediocre player signed by M&M in a panic when we lost out on McManus last season. 

Na not having that. Telfers name was mud, along with dixon for the best part of 2 years. Now they are probably 2 of the first names on the team sheet. I'd like to see Dowds given a chance under the new regime, but without having to rely if he comes good of course, then if he still can't cut it then fair enough. 

42 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Na not having that. Telfers name was mud, along with dixon for the best part of 2 years. Now they are probably 2 of the first names on the team sheet. I'd like to see Dowds given a chance under the new regime, but without having to rely if he comes good of course, then if he still can't cut it then fair enough. 

I've seen afew folk commenting that Keena looked sharp and dangerous last week, I have been convinced since he signed that he will do good for us. Less so with Dowds, but certainly dont think we have seen the best of him, whatever that may be. Sheerin gives the impression so far of being way more competent, and with a coherent idea of how to set up a team and on that basis, I am happy to judge all of the players based on performance under him from now on.

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You had our whole squad down as mediocre and 'miles off the pace' before you'd even seen then play though so maybe a bit harsh here too.  

Dowds (like most others who stayed on from last season) should get a clean slate and the chance to work with proper coaches and in a proper system this season before being written off.  If still not up to it after a few months then I'd agree he's not going to cut it.  He's shown flashes imo and is still young enough to improve.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

2 hours ago, mo83 said:

Happened to Michael Ruth going to you lot?

It's all gone quiet on that front. He was in the Aberdeen squad the other night for their European tie, I'd hazard a guess he won't be going anywhere till they get another striker in. And tbh looking at his goalscoring record even during loan spells it's pretty grim. I'm not convinced he's what we need but then you look at what we currently have, I'd probably take him if we could get another one in aswell. But I don't see us going with five strikers so Dowds would probably have to go out on loan if that were the case.

22 hours ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

An area of the North Stand is being sectioned off for the critically/extremely vulnerable where a 2 metre social distance will be put in place as well as masks being worn at all times. May be of interest to the both of you @Newbornbairn@Long Suffering Bairn

Might have got my critically vulnerable mixed up here, not too sure..

Ticket bought (swithered for a lo-ong time over the season ticket option before deciding against)

Looking forward to the game - COYB!

38 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Dowds isn't needing to lose any weight. He was warming up about 2 feet in front of me last Saturday and looked in good nick.

Some posters on here obviously don’t understand that people have different body shapes and sizes. 

38 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Dowds isn't needing to lose any weight. He was warming up about 2 feet in front of me last Saturday and looked in good nick.

That’s good to here mate. Hopefully means the fitness regime is much better under Sheerin and Grainger because under M&M and then Holt we were not fit at all compared to the other teams.