The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I know this has been commented on before here but if we can't afford £60,000 as our one and only cash transfer in a season then we might as well pack it in, have a supermarket built on the stadium, go part time, groundshare with the Warriors and join the Lowland League.  Yes we know McManus will be on a much better wage than we are currently offering and perhaps bonuses on top, but FFS.  How far we have plummeted.  

I don’t think the £60k would have been the issue. 

I suspect it’s the wage and overall package we’ve had been unable to compete with (clearly Dunfermline couldn’t or wouldn’t).

In all honesty, I wouldn’t have wanted us paying out crazy sums for a player who has hardly pulled up trees above league 1 level.

11 minutes ago, Trump said:

Okay I thought the treadmills episode was the worst moan I’d seen on here recently.

Moaning about not paying £60k for one player in League One after a season that was covid affected might be up there.

FYI - St Johnstone have just drawn away to Galatasaray tonight. Which of those players did they spend a £60k fee on?

FYI - the treadmill's would be a 1/6th of that figure. Savvy.

6 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

If you don't think we need a better quality striker then you are not even on whiskey, you are on Meths.  Let's just check the record, who of our current strikers has a modest goal scoring record - Dowds ... nope,  Keena ... nope, Wilson ... definitely nope.   Enjoy your tipple guys.

Who said we don’t need a better striker in like? 
But to suggest we had a chance of getting McManus in is absolutely mental stuff. No just the £60k transfer fee (potentially our biggest fee since 1999?), the facts they also he’ll be getting paid a shitload more then we can afford and he’s playing and scoring in Europe. Why the f**k would he turn all that down to sign for us?

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Who said we don’t need a better striker in like? 
But to suggest we had a chance of getting McManus in is absolutely mental stuff. No just the £60k transfer fee (potentially our biggest fee since 1999?), the facts they also he’ll be getting paid a shitload more then we can afford and he’s playing and scoring in Europe. Why the f**k would he turn all that down to sign for us?

Cheers for that reply, long suffering obviously sobered up slightly and deleted. 

McManus will have got massive signing on fee, wages more than many from the top league of Scottish football couldnt/wouldn't compete with and not even mentioning next to no clubs in Scotland paid 60k or more for a player so far.

We could match or better(rumoured we did) Dunfermline's wage last season put to McManus but he choose the league above. I find it incredible anyone of sane mind can suggest we pay 60k and pay him money that's not been paid at our club for over 10yr+ is .......well I'll leave that there 

With Williamson and McKay out for Saturday I wouldn’t change the team too much considering how well we played at Cove. 
I’d go

Mutch 

Miller               Hall              Dixon            McCann

Telfer         Ross

Nesbitt 

Morrison                  Keena                     McGuffie

I would possibly have Hetherington in for Ross but I felt Ross done well at Cove. 

4 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

With Williamson and McKay out for Saturday I wouldn’t change the team too much considering how well we played at Cove. 
I’d go

Mutch 

Telfer         Ross

Nesbitt 

I would possibly have Hetherington in for Ross but I felt Ross done well at Cove. 

Think Hetherington will start instead of Ross. We need a bit of height, strength and dig there. They maybe decent on the ball, but its like the Anthill Mob in midfield.

6 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:

I think the whole problem is not the money or McManus it's that we are desperate to get a good striker and are a bit frustrated one has not arrived yet

This is it entirely. The McManus stuff is all just a bit silly, born of understandable frustration.

7 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

I’d go

Mutch 

Telfer         Ross

Nesbitt 

Have they both been confirmed out? There was always a rumour that McKay was a longer term injury but I've not heard anything with regards to Williamson.

You are aware that the Scottish Government handed Alloa half a million a few months back. That was slightly more than FFC were given. You will also be aware that FFC are a club saddled with big overhead costs where we pay more in lease/rental costs for the SS than the Launderers pay for their entire stadium in the top flight.
Doesn’t matter a toss what our “more income” is. It only has meaning when it’s set out against outgoings……and now we have significant off the field salaries to meet as well, so the “more income” argument means nothing.
The last deal that actually favoured the club, was the one struck with Eddie Healey.

44 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Have they both been confirmed out? There was always a rumour that McKay was a longer term injury but I've not heard anything with regards to Williamson.

Reported in the herald they both will be out.

35 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

St Johnstone play Galatasaray at home next week in a European tie after drawing first leg. We are at home to East Kilbride in the Diddy McDiddy Cup. If ever there was a stark reminder of the appauling stewardship of our club over the last ten years this is it.

The Icelandic national football team on the International arena and Icelandic football clubs playing in Europe always punch well above their weight in competitions.

St. Johnstone and to a lesser extent Hamilton nearly always punch well above their weight on the domestic scene.

We should send our coaches to Iceland to study their coaching methods and send our Board and assorted pen pushers to Perth to see how to run a club competently.

Could be money well spent.

Guest Back Post Misses
11 hours ago, MrDust said:

One was 60k one was free....sadly it's where we are

We had zero chance enticing him when he had his best scoring total since he was last in the 3rd division, so 12 month later even matching the 60k, same applies

We can afford waste the best part of 60k for a SD. 

3 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Have to hope the delay in bringing in a striker/others is that we're holding off to get decent loans from clubs who haven't finished their own transfer business yet.  

Or Holt is f*cking clueless? I know what my money is on.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

This is it entirely. The McManus stuff is all just a bit silly, born of understandable frustration.

Exactly.  My over the top moan about McManus wasn't really about him as such.  He is gone and was beyond us in the state we are in now anyway.  It is the principle.   I am sooooooo frustrated that the season is underway and we are faffing around with 14 year olds in the development team rather than putting all our efforts into prioritising a goal scorer for this season and then focus on the development boys.   Before you all jump down my throat, of course the development team will become vital to us in three or four years time when a couple of the boys might break through to the first team, that is a given and is vital for us going forward.  But the absolute priority right now is to get someone in who can put the ball in the net on a semi regular basis and get us out of this hell hole of a league.  

On a more positive note, I am impressed with the way Sheerin has the team playing with some kind of shape and style.  It's been a long time.  So more hopeful than for the past few seasons.  Nesbitt is looking like a cracker and Williamson (the older one) looks like a grade above what we are used to at the back.  So there are positives going on, even Keena looks promising but once again, we can't rely on Morrison, Nesbitt and Telfer for our goals this season.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn