The Falkirk FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

Possibly. Just presumed a development squad would be younger players around 14-16. Just seems odd that they’re identifying players that are supposedly already good enough for first team football. Shouldn’t they just have identified him for the first team? Not like we haven’t signed 18/19 year olds before? 

When they said they trialled 60 kids for the team I just presumed they were kids and not soon to be 19. Just a presumption on my part though but not like there’s been much detail other than the bullet points we were fed at the Q and A.

Also now that he has been signed by the first team is that part of their budget? Will he be surplus to the 4 players Sheerin spoke about or part of it? 

It's not really that unfathomable that the 3 players we've signed for the first team were maybe head and shoulders above the rest of the players that went for the development team trials and hence why they've been brought in to take part in the first team squad pre season with Sheerin seeing if he fancies them. They won't be on much at all so I doubt they are taking away much from the first team budget.

Edited by FFC 1876

Signing all these kids is just a smokescreen , hiding the fact that we're broke for one thing. We've got things back to front, we should be signing players capable of getting us up to the Championship, then blooding these youngsters into the 1st team. Instead, the club are doing things on the cheap, hoping that these boys are going to be good enough to get us promoted, conning the fans with all the signings and putting these kids under tremendous pressure to perform.

1 minute ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Signing all these kids is just a smokescreen , hiding the fact that we're broke for one thing. We've got things back to front, we should be signing players capable of getting us up to the Championship, then blooding these youngsters into the 1st team. Instead, the club are doing things on the cheap, hoping that these boys are going to be good enough to get us promoted, conning the fans with all the signings and putting these kids under tremendous pressure to perform.

Sheerin's already said they'll be in and out the first team so you're spouting a load of nonsense. If they're good enough they'll be given the opportunity but we'll not be reliant on them unless we're hit with a plague of injuries. I'd much rather see a young prospect have a crack at it that Ben bloody Hall.

11 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It's not really that unfathomable that the 3 players we've signed for the first team were maybe head and shoulders above the rest of the players that went for the development team trials and hence why they've been brought in to take part in the first team squad with Sheerin seeing if he fancies them. They won't be on much at all so I doubt they are taking away much from the first team budget.

I can mind Alex Rae, Colin McNair & John Gallacher being brought in from Bishopbriggs & Campsie Black Watch, at a seasons start.

Within the year Gallacher was gone to Newcastle & Rae followed the year later to Millwall. The best of the three, McNair, was punted to Motherwell, following the Saltcoats debacle & his career spiralled out of control.

Edited by kiddy

2 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Ayr 1-0 up on Hamilton at half time. An Ayr penalty shootout win would mean we can still top the group.

Does Airhead still play for them? What chance the Accies getting another RC/Pen decision 2 games on the trot!🙊🙈😂🤣😂

14 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Sheerin's already said they'll be in and out the first team so you're spouting a load of nonsense. If they're good enough they'll be given the opportunity but we'll not be reliant on them unless we're hit with a plague of injuries. I'd much rather see a young prospect have a crack at it that Ben bloody Hall.

All I'm saying is that they said at the Q & A session we would be working with a signed squad of 18 with the numbers being made up by loan signings. Some of us on here gave them pelters for that and suddenly we now have a squad of 22, unfortunately padded out with kids instead of the quality signings we were hoping for. They are conning us, never mind the quality, feel the width.

22 minutes ago, kiddy said:

I can mind Alex Rae, Colin McNair & John Gallacher being brought in from Bishopbriggs & Campsie Black Watch, at a seasons start.

Within the year Gallacher was gone to Newcastle & Rae followed the year later to Millwall. The best of the three, McNair, was punted to Motherwell, following the Saltcoats debacle & his career spiralled out of control.

McNair could have had a very good career just a pity he was an absolute clusterfuck of a human being. 

1 minute ago, ebobsboy said:

McNair could have had a very good career just a pity he was an absolute clusterfuck of a human being. 

A cracking prospect. Perhaps the best since Gillespie, but a complete bam.

13 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

All I'm saying is that they said at the Q & A session we would be working with a signed squad of 18 with the numbers being made up by loan signings. Some of us on here gave them pelters for that and suddenly we now have a squad of 22, unfortunately padded out with kids instead of the quality signings we were hoping for. They are conning us, never mind the quality, feel the width.

They maybe didn't expect 2000 season tickets to be sold this season and therefore more room has been made in the budget to allow for these youngsters signing as well as a few others to 'pad' out the squad.

11 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Airhead would walk into our team. He was certainly wasn't a bad player.

He was shoehorned into right back which he never was in a million years. He was the weak link a lot of the time during his time at us and always prone to a rush of blood which either resulted in a red card, penalty to the opposition, sometimes both or dropping a complete clanger under no pressure at all. If he was on his game he could be solid if unspectacular. But by f**k he could take a penalty kick. 

3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

He was shoehorned into right back which he never was in a million years. He was the weak link a lot of the time during his time at us and always prone to a rush of blood which either resulted in a red card, penalty to the opposition, sometimes both or dropping a complete clanger under no pressure at all. If he was on his game he could be solid if unspectacular. But by f**k he could take a penalty kick. 

He was a major part of that horrific Cup defeat at Ochilview. He had absolutely zero positional awareness, and would routinely go walkabout into midfield for no logical reason whatsoever.

24 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Airhead would walk into our team. He was certainly wasn't a bad player.

He wasn't a good one either its the fact our team was so bad he was a stand out in it

Guest Caractacus Potts
58 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It's not really that unfathomable that the 3 players we've signed for the first team were maybe head and shoulders above the rest of the players that went for the development team trials and hence why they've been brought in to take part in the first team squad pre season with Sheerin seeing if he fancies them. They won't be on much at all so I doubt they are taking away much from the first team budget.

Point really was about their age. Players of 18/19 should be playing first team football to continue their development and in particular be more than capable of playing in League One.

Originally being touted to join a League One development team for the season is strange. As I said I expected them to bring in players of 14-16 for the team, not those who should have been graduating from their own academies. 

If these guys were signing for the development team then do we know of anyone who has? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

The whole idea with it was to find players who had fallen out of love with the game or things took a bad turn to get them back on track give them a chance to break into the first team and a chance to sell themselves and prove whoever doubted them or released them was wrong.  If they are good enough then they get a game taking a chance on any young player isn't much more of a risk that giving Hall or Wilson a game if anything its probably less of a risk.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think you've taken the post the wrong way, as it appears on FB anyway. 

It says he was identified during DT recruitment, ie when they were looking for players for the DT. Not that he has been promoted from the DT.

“It’s very early days with the development squad, but we are already seeing good players such as Ben Weekes, Cammy Willliamson and now Mackenzie Lemon being identified and going on to play a role in the first-team squad.”

That reads otherwise. Gary trying to make it out like he is doing a brilliant job. Shock. 

17 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

They maybe didn't expect 2000 season tickets to be sold this season and therefore more room has been made in the budget to allow for these youngsters signing as well as a few others to 'pad' out the squad.

A potential windfall from ST sales sufficient to fill the void of commercial income, and provide extra cash for the first team squad? You think that’s a realistic interpretation of what’s happening here?

Point really was about their age. Players of 18/19 should be playing first team football to continue their development and in particular be more than capable of playing in League One.
Originally being touted to join a League One development team for the season is strange. As I said I expected them to bring in players of 14-16 for the team, not those who should have been graduating from their own academies. 

If these guys were signing for the development team then do we know of anyone who has? 

I thought they stated when they announced the scheme that they were effectively going to be looking at players aged 16-20 who had maybe fallen away from other academics to build the initial development squad before adding younger teams as they went along. I was pretty much expecting these sort of signings tbh.

Still waiting on a first choice striker, centre half and probably a box to box midfielder though.