The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

I see Rangers have 17k next week for Livi game. We should definitely be applying for 4k v Peterhead...but the club probably just won't bother.

Interestingly this is the first instance I've seen where with 1m social distancing in place a club has been given permission for more than 25% of their total capacity.

As ShaggerG says that would equate to around 2,700 for us

It only effects one game before 9th August anyway (home to Peterhead). Would still be good go get an extra 700 home fans in especially as most of these will be walk-ups paying cash to the club.

For reference the crowds against Peterhead two seasons ago were 3,289 and 3,507.

18 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Which is about 33.5% of Ibrox's capacity. 33.5% of TFS is about 2700. We wouldn't get 4000 v Peterhead in any case.

This is far too simplistic imo. The real risk of transmission with 17k comes from public transport, sharing busses, cars, pubs etc before and after the game, not the couple of hours you’re outside, still sitting a decent distance from each other.

Which is why I’d hope common sense would apply to smaller grounds such as ourselves where public transport to and from games is far less than rangers/Celtic in a major city. I’d hoped we’d get a bigger share % of capacity  allowed into ground. Either way, I hope the club ask and keep on asking. 

7 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

https://twitter.com/steviebev/status/1218888518241542145?s=21
the best of times watching Falkirk are on the Road away from the soulless TFS. 
Can’t wait 

It is odd to think that many folk on this here forum may never have been to Brockville. 

Decrepit, downtrodden, creaking Brockville. I remember the bogs especially - the stench was horrific, three walls where you could pish against, leading to an undersized trough at the bottom. I never, ever tried to take a dump there - my bravery only went so far as a kid. 

The bovril was scalding and the pies were made of 80% fat. I remember my dad saying "watch this", and he tilted his pie forwards. Fat literally ran off it and onto the steps below. 

I miss it a hell of a lot. In the heart of the town, a bouncing atmosphere (at times). I watched us beat Queen of the South 7-1 there. I was a mascot there. The new stadium isn't a home to FFC any more than Ochilview was. It's just a place where the team play half their games, in the middle of nowhere. 

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It is odd to think that many folk on this here forum may never have been to Brockville. 

Decrepit, downtrodden, creaking Brockville. I remember the bogs especially - the stench was horrific, three walls where you could pish against, leading to an undersized trough at the bottom. I never, ever tried to take a dump there - my bravery only went so far as a kid. 

The bovril was scalding and the pies were made of 80% fat. I remember my dad saying "watch this", and he tilted his pie forwards. Fat literally ran off it and onto the steps below. 

I miss it a hell of a lot. In the heart of the town, a bouncing atmosphere (at times). I watched us beat Queen of the South 7-1 there. I was a mascot there. The new stadium isn't a home to FFC any more than Ochilview was. It's just a place where the team play half their games, in the middle of nowhere. 

I only have memories of the last season at Brockville when I got my first season ticket aged 8. Spent a lot of my running up and down the terrace on the stand side behind the goals. 

Despite being so young I still smell those bogs and many small details like the flaking crust on the crush barriers and the smell coming from the wee pie hut. Also telling a policeman that my dad was about to run on the park before the last game with a flower reef and that I would need a lift home if he got arrested 🤣

Very glad I have some memories of the place and i think it probably kicked off the buzz I get about going to old grounds. Its why I always try to get to places like Somerset Park now because they grounds are few and far between now.

26 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Painted the lines as a wee wee boy once but never actually made it to a game.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Well that makes me feel old. 

One of my early Brockville memories is Simon Stainrod standing on that table with the league trophy, but for some reason if I think of Brockville I think of Gareth Hutchison scoring from distance (can't have happened all that often) and Davie Moss heading an imaginary ball as he comes onto the pitch...  

There was an old boy that stood on the hope Street terrace just next to the wall a few steps up as you first came in round the corner that used to always smoke a tobacco pipe. Always remember that smell every other week, had a laddie next to him and they both never stopped shouting for the entire game, no matter who we were playing. I wrote about it in an English essay where we had to describe our Happy place. Lots of wee details like that I miss about it. 

Brockville was ace, remember going with my old fella, he worked with Bellway Homes at the time and used to park the car in the office car park which was a stone's throw away from the stadium. Quick walk up to the Newmarket bar for a pint before the game then down to watch the game, was rough many a time and sometimes it was touch n go if the pie was staying down or getting spewed back up, great days. The days when you could actually afford a day at the football and still have a night out afterwards without it costing a fortune. 

1 hour ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Changing ends at half time over the bridge next to the choir . Screaming through the barriers at the fans on the other side of the bridge like you really hated them

My best memories of Brockville was attending the reserve games as a young boy. I got into the stand as apposed to being sent down to the front of the barrier by my dad & grandad at 1st team games where I struggled to catch all the action .
In  these days the reserve league reversed the 1st team fixture and we got to see the next generation of “ stars” for free whilst rampaging around in the stands collecting Barr’s bottles to return for cash. From memory almost  200 or so who attended these matches. 
At that age I dreamt us making it to a cup final one day and it happened 3 times so far. ( I wish my dream had been to win one )The modern era doesn’t hold the same excitement as back then when going to the fitba playing fitba and dodging school were the only things that occupied my mind as there was naff all else to do. 
By comparison despite the modern facilities the entertainment level has plummeted to an all time low. 12000 attending brockville for a crucial match with cowdenbeath will be an experience I treasure . These type of attendances at that level will never be repeated 
 Unfortunately my brockville experience determined me to be an addict and I’m  still hooked as wherever I am in the world I still sign in on line  to watch the games. Afterwards I regularly think WTF is that all about - I guess brockville ruined me 

Guest Caractacus Potts
8 minutes ago, BooBairn said:

Embarrassing narrative by the club that the development squad is feeding players into the first team. 

Yeh seems a convenient way to disguise them being signed for the first team. Not sure how you can say it bears fruit when the development team haven’t played any games. 

10 minutes ago, BooBairn said:

Embarrassing narrative by the club that the development squad is feeding players into the first team. 

Just now, Caractacus Potts said:

Yeh seems a convenient way to disguise them being signed for the first team. Not sure how you can say it bears fruit when the development team haven’t played any games. 

I think you've taken the post the wrong way, as it appears on FB anyway. 

It says he was identified during DT recruitment, ie when they were looking for players for the DT. Not that he has been promoted from the DT.

Guest Caractacus Potts
10 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think you've taken the post the wrong way, as it appears on FB anyway. 

It says he was identified during DT recruitment, ie when they were looking for players for the DT. Not that he has been promoted from the DT.

Possibly. Just presumed a development squad would be younger players around 14-16. Just seems odd that they’re identifying players that are supposedly already good enough for first team football. Shouldn’t they just have identified him for the first team? Not like we haven’t signed 18/19 year olds before? 

When they said they trialled 60 kids for the team I just presumed they were kids and not soon to be 19. Just a presumption on my part though but not like there’s been much detail other than the bullet points we were fed at the Q and A.

Also now that he has been signed by the first team is that part of their budget? Will he be surplus to the 4 players Sheerin spoke about or part of it? 

Edited by Caractacus Potts