The Falkirk FC Thread

Guest Back Post Misses
Just now, FFC 1876 said:

I don't think we're a mile off and a bit of perspective considering the league we're in wouldn't go amiss. Not exactly as if teams in our division have been making signings I'd take as a starter in our team. The only one that springs to mind is Vigurs but a 3 year deal and for him to stay up north, it's not exactly something you can compete with.

All about opinions. We have had a DOF in since January and he cant identify a striker or a CH so he gives a two year contract to a donut. Doesn’t empty Miller, Hall, Dowds etc etc. These are key positions that you build your team around. It’s poor IMO 

50 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

He came in last year, looked decent preseason then got injured in the League cup, was out for ages and when he came back he looked hopeless. The hope is that he was just rushed back and he'll be an asset this year but we're yet to see it.
As for Wilson, I'm really hoping he's on buttons just to make up the numbers and will be 4th choice striker at best.

You wouldn't give Wilson a two year deal if it's just to make up the numbers though.  If it's bodies we'd be aswell keeping Francis or sammon as even they look slightly less awful than him and they were bad. There must be better dross than him we could've brought in surely. Makes mark McGraw look like haaland.

You wouldn't give Wilson a two year deal if it's just to make up the numbers though.  If it's bodies we'd be aswell keeping Francis or sammon as even they look slightly less awful than him and they were bad. There must be better dross than him we could've brought in surely. Makes mark McGraw look like haaland.

Cant argue about the 2 year deals, really odd unless there's a break clause for the club at the end of the year.

None of this matters. By the time the first 6 league games have been played, everyone will know full well which way things are headed. Less than 12 points after those fixtures simply means we have failed to win half of our games. Do that across the season, and we won’t be going anywhere. McKinnon did the “death by a thousand draws” theory to death.

Nothing but nothing matters more than getting out of this league this season.

Guest Caractacus Potts
1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

While not disagreeing in the slightest that Wilson, Miller and Hall are dugsh*te, I don't think today was a disaster.  As others have said we were comfortable until the sending off and were looking good for the win against a team who have just spent 7 seasons in the premier

Cove on the other hand were pumped by Peterhead and QP and Airdrie managed 30 shots between them but no goals.  

We need to make 3 good signings before the league kicks off though.  

I don’t think that alone is a barometer to judge us by. Most teams do poorly after being relegated. Would’ve fancied a lot of teams to get something from us the season after we went down from from the SPL anyway. 

That said, it was a lot better opposition than Albion Rovers and without the sending off we wouldn’t have been defeated so the result doesn’t paint the true picture of the match. 

37 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

All about opinions. We have had a DOF in since January and he cant identify a striker or a CH so he gives a two year contract to a donut. Doesn’t empty Miller, Hall, Dowds etc etc. These are key positions that you build your team around. It’s poor IMO 

I’m of the same opinion. Our DoF isn’t doing his job properly. Having Wilson and Dowds as 2 of your striker options at the start of a new season is just stupid.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Kinda surprised Keena isn’t starting for you guys if this Wilson fella is so shite. He was never incredible at EEP but surely good enough for L1?

As others have said he picked up a bad injury and didn't return until mid-March after the 'shutdown'. Looked like he was just about to get going with a well taken goal against Clyde (after missing a penalty the week before), then we lost the plot and couldn't even string two passes together. There really wasn't a big overlap between Keena being properly fit and us being a competent side last season. With Sheerin clearly preferring 4-3-3 for me he's battling it out with Dowds to be first pick until we sign someone else.

39 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

None of this matters. By the time the first 6 league games have been played, everyone will know full well which way things are headed. Less than 12 points after those fixtures simply means we have failed to win half of our games. Do that across the season, and we won’t be going anywhere. McKinnon did the “death by a thousand draws” theory to death.

Nothing but nothing matters more than getting out of this league this season.

In the opening 8 games last year we took 20 points and we all know how that ended up in May. Especially with this *hopefully* being a 36 game season it's important we don't rush in to any signings we regret. I agree though - it would be so, so nice if we didn't do things the Falkirk way for a change, and won the league without any dramas.

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

Guest Caractacus Potts
49 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

100% this. Rawlins lauded Holt having 3 targets for every position but like other points it means nothing if those targets are poor. 

There are 3 things to a successful manager- recruitment, coaching and tactics.

Not sure about tactics yet but Sheerin seems like a good coach. That however will be limited on how the potential of the players he has to work with. We definitely have a few that have talent but to challenge for a full season we need quality on the periphery too. Not giving Sheerin a pass for the likes of Wilson but recruitment is Holt’s job and he’s had enough time to find decent players. 

Early days at the moment and maybe Sheerin can mould Wilson in to an effective player but he’s looking  nothing more than expected at the moment, which isn’t good enough. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
13 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

…”maybe Sheerin will mould Wilson into an effective player”

Impossible

Yip, clutching at straws with that one!

Edited by Caractacus Potts

42 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

…”maybe Sheerin will mould Wilson into an effective player”

Impossible

You've seen lots of Dumbarton last year then? Or was it your Inverness development team season ticket that's coming in handy here?

Maybe I'm the only one out of the loop, but our scouts on here seem to have a pretty sensational grasp on the talent around the country. I'm repeating myself to death, but how folks can't even give players a chance really ruffles my feathers and the implication that our new manager has no sense of how to judge a player is almost disrespectful to me.

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

I think with Miller & Dowds his hands were tied given they had an extra year on their contract and it would have been impossible to find a club who'd take them off our hands but I can't disagree with you on Wilson and Hall.

He has been in since January but due to covid it's not as if he could have been travelling down to England to have a look at potential players. I didn't think he was the man for the job but the transfer window isn't over yet so I'll wait to see how we're looking come the end of August.

7 minutes ago, Gollum said:

You've seen lots of Dumbarton last year then? Or was it your Inverness development team season ticket that's coming in handy here?

Maybe I'm the only one out of the loop, but our scouts on here seem to have a pretty sensational grasp on the talent around the country. I'm repeating myself to death, but how folks can't even give players a chance really ruffles my feathers and the implication that our new manager has no sense of how to judge a player is almost disrespectful to me.

What the f**k are you talking about?

The boy can’t play football to the standard that we need.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong and he has just had the two worst games of his career and is in fact a rough diamond needing a bit of polishing.

He is a bad signing, end of.

8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

What the f**k are you talking about?

The boy can’t play football to the standard that we need.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong and he has just had the two worst games of his career and is in fact a rough diamond needing a bit of polishing.

He is a bad signing, end of.

I've seen the same two games, his and the gaffers first two games in charge, and besides that not a single training session. Your second sentence is a conclusion neither our new gaffer nor our hated DOF seem to come to and the way you are stating it as fact is laughable to me, that's what I'm talking about. Maybe he's shite, maybe he's decent, but what's certain to me is that none of us have a clue what we're talking about at the moment. No need to pretend that most people's minds weren't made up about him before he played these two games anyway.

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Spot on. Key positions more important than many think. All well and good having an adequate CDM and LB. That isn’t enough. We do not have GK CB or striker sorted. Key positions. Imo it’s embarrasing Holt hasn’t realised this and we’ll be found wanting big time this season. Would love to be proved wrong 

8 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

My mind certainly wasn’t made up, I had never heard of him.

My opinion is based on what I have seen and the lad has contributed zero to either game.

So off of two games you think it's impossible he can be an effective player? Again, writing someone off after two games is laughable to me. If it isn't to you, that's fine 👍

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

So off of two games you think it's impossible he can be an effective player? Again, writing someone off after two games is laughable to me. If it isn't to you, that's fine 👍

Normally I'd agree with you but I think on this occassion it's fair enough to write him off given he hasn't shown one ounce of potential in the two games we've seen him and he never exactly showed anything for Dumbarton last season either. Dowds performed better in both games and that's not something to aspire to. Feels like a panic signing as they maybe thought Keena was going to be out for longer. 

32 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I've seen the same two games, his and the gaffers first two games in charge, and besides that not a single training session. Your second sentence is a conclusion neither our new gaffer nor our hated DOF seem to come to and the way you are stating it as fact is laughable to me, that's what I'm talking about. Maybe he's shite, maybe he's decent, but what's certain to me is that none of us have a clue what we're talking about at the moment. No need to pretend that most people's minds weren't made up about him before he played these two games anyway.

I can only.go.on.what other people who have seen him play on a regular and semi regular basis including scouts and not one of them has said anything other than he's shite.  Most of them are completely flabbergasted that he's gone to a fulltime side instead of the lowland or Highland league.  Add to that the two games he's completely stunk out for us so far and to say I'm not convinced about him is one massive under statement.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Normally I'd agree with you but I think on this occassion it's fair enough to write him off given he hasn't shown one ounce of potential in the two games we've seen him and he never exactly showed anything for Dumbarton last season either. Dowds performed better in both games and that's not something to aspire to. Feels like a panic signing as they maybe thought Keena was going to be out for longer. 

I won't try and pretend I saw anything in his first games either and I can't comment on his Dumbarton performances. He is still a 23 year old who signed off the back of a trial with a manager who I have very little choice but to back right now. Perhaps I am in denial about the decision making at the club but a two year deal on the 9th of July doesn't sound like a panic buy to me. If he has "pace and an eye for goal" as Sheerin put it, then coming off the bench and scoring 5 goals this season is still an effective player to me. I simply can't accept the proposition that Sheerin has bought a guy, after seeing him train for a while, that is so shit that posters on a football forum can tell he's useless in two games.