The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Hard to gauge early fixtures as most teams playing new or changed formations. 
Positives, Williamson at RB will run the line which weve lacked for the past few seasons, final cross/ball to be worked on. McCann at LB that looks like a decent catch and glimpses tonight of a very young Tommy McQueen. 
CB pairing, no issues and could be a decent partnership.

Midfield, looked like Miller was jersey filling for Hetherington, but can’t complain with McGuffie looking like a decent prospect.

Telfer - should be playing at a higher level, guy was leagues ahead of anyone tonight. He’s a guy we need to consistently perform. 
Negatives,

Dowds & Wilson ( add in Keena who looks like he will be more on the treatment table) are not the answer if we want to lift the league, a CF is still a must.

As mentioned not getting overly excited against poor opposition, however last night for long spells was very pleasing……….Noted the Aberdeen ex Manager at the game taking notes throughout game and a few discussions with our staff. Maybe he’s our new scout…..

McInness? He won't be our scout but if Sheerin is able to pick the brains and compare notes with him then that's a big positive, regardless of the length of time that may go on for.

Guest Caractacus Potts

Glad to see we got off to a good start in the League Cup and encouraging to hear Sheerin seems to be implementing a much more positive style. That’s the one thing I never seen under M and M, was a change in any style from McKinnon. 

Early days and poor opposition but can’t do much better than that. 

Feel quite honored to get a mention in one of you guys match reports on here. 🥰

How was Bradley last night?  Seems like it was an easy game for you?

27 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Without being great I actually though he done ok, missed a few tackles in the first half and looked a little bit rash but certainly an improvement on Durnan however I know the opposition was very poor. Distribution looked ok though. 

Last night is the kind of game telfer loves. Allowed to play a bit and he can show all the ability he undoubtedly has. That's never been in question.  Problem has always been fitness and games where it becomes a real battle. Hopefully with hetherington in there soon that will allow him to play a bit more on those games.  Wilson looked murder as expected. You've got to ask why after weeks of trials we've still signed this chump.  Akeel Francis 2021/22 if you ask me. Played some good football otherwise. Never like to take too much from these games as they very rarely translate into what will happen when the league season starts. Encouraging signs in some areas but the same old weaknesses in others.  Couple of decent signings though and things will be looking up.

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Better on the ball than what we've had the last few seasons which helps when we want to build from the back but he had a shocker early on defensively which allowed one of their strikers to waltz through and really should have scored to make it 2-0 to them. After that he didn't really get tested aside from the few times he tried to nick the ball infront of the attacker and got turned.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Better on the ball than what we've had the last few seasons which helps when we want to build from the back but he had a shocker early on defensively which allowed one of their strikers to waltz through and really should have scored to make it 2-0 to them. After that he didn't really get tested aside from a few times he tried to nick the ball infront of the attacker and got turned.

Aye he's prone that, when he does that against the better sides you'll be punished.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Last night is the kind of game telfer loves. Allowed to play a bit and he can show all the ability he undoubtedly has. That's never been in question.  Problem has always been fitness and games where it becomes a real battle. Hopefully with hetherington in there soon that will allow him to play a bit more on those games.  Wilson looked murder as expected. You've got to ask why after weeks of trials we've still signed this chump.  Akeel Francis 2021/22 if you ask me. Played some good football otherwise. Never like to take too much from these games as they very rarely translate into what will happen when the league season starts. Encouraging signs in some areas but the same old weaknesses in others.  Couple of decent signings though and things will be looking up.

Akeel Francis at least had pace. I'm with you though Wilson's clearly not up to it so why sign him as he's not even going to cut it as back up.

32 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Akeel Francis at least had pace. I'm with you though Wilson's clearly not up to it so why sign him as he's not even going to cut it as back up.

I always worry when we sign players that have been on trial in recent years as they very rarely turn out to be any good. To me there's no excuse for a player you've signed on trial turning out to be complete trash.   Taylor Morgan, Rory boulding, akeel Francis and Denny Johnstone for starters all signed after trials and all utterly stinking. 

Beat Hamilton on Saturday and pick up another win against Edinburgh would take us to 9 points, which should be enough. With 8 points you're really relying on upsets in the other groups (and winning your 'draw' on penalties, and having a good GD) and 7 points is no good at all. 

Here are the runners-up tables for the 5 previous seasons the competition has run in this format

268493191_ScreenShot2021-07-14at09_56_08.thumb.png.fc42bc716d3b8b5eb8162c7e64862e1f.png1338547698_ScreenShot2021-07-14at09_55_53.thumb.png.13162bb4118df9385806e207a01b3b48.png770551885_ScreenShot2021-07-14at09_55_34.thumb.png.942610fc2eeea9670dcd6e2c471447ae.png516562446_ScreenShot2021-07-14at09_55_21.thumb.png.00385921926f3c005894216d36bec421.png1096418667_ScreenShot2021-07-14at09_55_00.thumb.png.e7b910cf0ed0d06732f4b95961fe7748.png

14 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

With AR beating ayr on pens at weekend surely we have a decent chance of going through now, at worst as one of the best 2nd place teams? Is 7 points typically been enough to advance in 2nd? Maybe one for @craigkillie or the likes 

First of all, only three best runners-up rather than four are going through now due to there being an extra team in Europe.

This format has been in place for five seasons, and in four of those seasons you have needed 9 points to go through, and in the other one you needed 8. Therefore 7 points is highly unlikely to get you through, and even 8 might be a push.

Edited by craigkillie

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

First of all, only three best runners-up rather than four are going through now due to there being an extra team in Europe.

This format has been in place for five seasons, and in four of those seasons you have needed 9 points to go through, and in the other one you needed 8. Therefore 7 points is highly unlikely to get you through, and even 8 might be a push.

Great stuff, cheers

I think the time honoured standard you need is 9 to have a chance of going through.  As mentioned, 8 usually isn't enough.

Edit - Aye seeing the tables there, you definitely need 9.

Edited by TheScarf

Was an interesting game last night.

It showed our weaknesses and our strengths. Quietly impressed with the work rate of our guys, particularly Williamson and Telfer. Telfer was outstanding by the way...although it has to be said AR were honking and let him play.

I liked the way we tried to play the ball through the defence and get the ball wide. I think better and more physical teams will perhaps limit us here but still a joy to watch last night compared to the last few seasons and some cracking goals. Morrison was given the freedom of the right wing and he won't get that in our division, but with Williamson backing him up we at least have  something more to worry the oppostion.

As already mentioned, I think we will struggle against physical teams playing against us as we still look a bit lightweight. ....and we badly need a target man. Wilson and Dowds are not the answer.

compared to last season, night and day....but its only one game :)

Still think our Board should GTF !