The Falkirk FC Thread

Heatherington was suspended tonight, should be back for Saturday.

We just looked so much more prepared, you could see we played with a plan and kept going right until the end. Sheerin and Grainger kept on pushing the players from the sidelines. I agree that Wilson doesn’t look the best on the ball however his movement dragged the defence all over the place. I think a fully fit Keena (if that exists) would be a real asset when the team play in that style.

I’m not sure if it could be picked up on the stream footage but Seb Ross running from deep caused a lot of problems. It’s obviously a tactic that’s been worked on.

Early days but plenty of positives to take

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

So that was a lot better than I was expecting tbh although it was only against a rag tag bunch of jobbers but still it’s good to see there’s something there to work with. Compared with the utter shite we had to endure last season it’s night and day and great to see a Falkirk team with an actual style of play.

Second half we completely dominated and tired Albion out making them chase the ball pretty much all half. Morrison was unlucky with the pen was a decent hit with a lot of pace but a great save from the ‘keeper. The 4th goal was a great finish from Telfer who more than deserved it and was a great strike. The last goal was a goal we had been threatening to score all game and fair play to the young boy he took it really well.

Mutch - didn’t have a chance with the goal, made a really good save shortly after then a spectator for the rest of the game.

Williamson - Ooft we’ve got a right back lads. It’s been a while. Power of running down the right constantly and good assist for the 5th.

McKay - can’t pass the ball which terrifies me. He’s not Ben Hall though so I’ll take it.

Dixon - Absolutely solid and good to see him cut out his habit of shanking the ball down the line. Good header for the goal. Really don’t like centre backs taking corners though.

McCann - He was absolutely fine if a little quiet. Would like to see him be a little braver on the ball.

Miller - After a poor first half thought he improved in the second. Weirdly his long range passing is far superior to his short passing.

Telfer - Can’t speak highly enough of his performance. Great game and a vastly better player than what we got 2 seasons ago. Ran the game.

Ross - Was ok. Nothing much to say really.

Morrison - Had both left backs in the game on toast. 2 great goals, an assist and was unlucky with his penalty. Him and Williamson are going to be some force down the right I reckon.

McGuffie - Good first half but faded and failed to establish himself in the second. More to come from him I think. 

Wilson/Dowds - Shite. Pretty much the same player both try very, very hard but have absolutely no quality at all. Very worrying.

Weekes - Took his goal well and was unlucky not to get another when Dowds fucked up the ball through to him. Loved to see how much the goal meant to him.

Mckay was worrying defensively tonight but I though his distribution was excellent aside from one stray back pass to Mutch in the first half which sent him out a but wide. There was a time in the second half be bounded forward with the ball and played an outside of the foot pass out wide to Morrison and I just thought to myself "How many times did we see Durnan pass the ball straight out the park in those circumstances" but he treats the ball like a kid with candy which is annoying as it pulls him out of position all too often.

The rest of your summaries are spot on.

Edited by FFC 1876

10 minutes ago, Russ said:

So that was a lot better than I was expecting tbh although it was only against a rag tag bunch of jobbers but still it’s good to see there’s something there to work with. Compared with the utter shite we had to endure last season it’s night and day and great to see a Falkirk team with an actual style of play.

Second half we completely dominated and tired Albion out making them chase the ball pretty much all half. Morrison was unlucky with the pen was a decent hit with a lot of pace but a great save from the ‘keeper. The 4th goal was a great finish from Telfer who more than deserved it and was a great strike. The last goal was a goal we had been threatening to score all game and fair play to the young boy he took it really well.

Mutch - didn’t have a chance with the goal, made a really good save shortly after then a spectator for the rest of the game.

Williamson - Ooft we’ve got a right back lads. It’s been a while. Power of running down the right constantly and good assist for the 5th.

McKay - can’t pass the ball which terrifies me. He’s not Ben Hall though so I’ll take it.

Dixon - Absolutely solid and good to see him cut out his habit of shanking the ball down the line. Good header for the goal. Really don’t like centre backs taking corners though.

McCann - He was absolutely fine if a little quiet. Would like to see him be a little braver on the ball.

Miller - After a poor first half thought he improved in the second. Weirdly his long range passing is far superior to his short passing.

Telfer - Can’t speak highly enough of his performance. Great game and a vastly better player than what we got 2 seasons ago. Ran the game.

Ross - Was ok. Nothing much to say really.

Morrison - Had both left backs in the game on toast. 2 great goals, an assist and was unlucky with his penalty. Him and Williamson are going to be some force down the right I reckon.

McGuffie - Good first half but faded and failed to establish himself in the second. More to come from him I think. 

Wilson/Dowds - Shite. Pretty much the same player both try very, very hard but have absolutely no quality at all. Very worrying.

Weekes - Took his goal well and was unlucky not to get another when Dowds fucked up the ball through to him. Loved to see how much the goal meant to him.

Pretty much spot on. Telfers accuracy with passing was exceptional joy to watch

3 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Heatherington was suspended tonight, should be back for Saturday.

We just looked so much more prepared, you could see we played with a plan and kept going right until the end. Sheerin and Grainger kept on pushing the players from the sidelines. I agree that Wilson doesn’t look the best on the ball however his movement dragged the defence all over the place. I think a fully fit Keena (if that exists) would be a real asset when the team play in that style.

I’m not sure if it could be picked up on the stream footage but Seb Ross running from deep caused a lot of problems. It’s obviously a tactic that’s been worked on.

Early days but plenty of positives to take

Thank god for that as I think he'll make a massive difference in the middle of the park compared to Miller. Wilson's rank, there wasn't really any movement and I actually think Dowds has a better turn of pace than him. Seb Ross' strengths are making runs in behind the defence which he did numerous times in the first half and it was him creating the space as opposed to Wilson.

I felt quite emotional at that at one point. “Welcome home”.  f**k.

After an iffy, sideways passing first 15 we really played some great dynamic stuff.  Movement off the ball was really strong, lots of energy, all the things we’ve been missing.

Morrison obviously best, and worked really well with Williamson.  Wilson was pretty flat but the other new boys were all positive additions.  Weekes will be a great sub to bring on, but raw.  My real hope is Nesbitt.  I thought he looked absolutely brilliant.

35 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We were playing players out of position and in an unknown formation given people out injured and other reasons.

Tonight was always going to be tough and just building up towards the season starting. Losing on Saturday effectively meant we weren't getting out the group stage.

Michael Stewart there got asked if he thinks Cove will go up this season and said no then went back on himself and said not as champions maybe in the playoffs. To be honest without a few really good loans; a striker and sorting out central defence I agree with him on the basis of the two games I've seen. Lucky for us we'll get a few more games before the league campaign starts 

Michael Stewart is a scrotum.

Mutch
Williamson Mckay Dixon Mccann
Telfer Hetherington
Mcguffie
Morrison Dowds Nesbitt

The starting line up I'd like to see against Hamilton on Saturday. Mcguffie looked tidy on the ball but didn't really look to have the pace to go at his man. Nesbitt on the other hand definitely has the beating of a man. Dowds over Wilson just as you know he'll at least hold the ball in there was quite a few times tonight the ball just bounced off Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Anyone know how long keena will be out for? 
and is ben weekes a striker or a winger? Where did he play tonight?

Replaced Mcguffie as the left winger, Lewis Connolly described him as a winger or a number 10. Right footed and looked to have a fair bit of pace. Took his goal well enough but Williamson put it on his best china plate for him.

Well that was rather enjoyable and better than expected, again taking the opponent into considering though. 

I was luckily enough to be at the game and I honestly don’t know what the problem is with McKay with people. IMO he done nothing wrong from what I seen. Their goal came from Williamson misjudging the ball however he recovered and played really well. Another one, I thought Ross played well and I was impressed with him. McGuffie and Wilson were poorer if I’m honest and done nothing of note. Nesbitt done really well when he came on. 
My two MOTM’s however were Telfer and Morrison. I thought Telfer was a joy to watch finding spaces, passing was excellent and he deserved his goal. Dixon was solid too in the role I prefer him in. 
Mention to Gary Miller for pulling all the players over to the South Stand at the end. That was good to see after it being so long without fans. As others have said we badly need a striker IMO who can be clinical. 

3 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Saturday will be a good test for us. Accies just relegated with some players with a lot of experience. Could give us a better idea of what we have or haven't got

We'll also be able to have a glimpse of the football we could have had under Rice had we not fumbled the ball spectacularly before appointing Sheerin. I personally would rather have Sheerin but it'll be an interesting tactical battle none the less.

Saturday will be the real test but I was impressed with the performance tonight. We played good football and tried to pass the ball about, which has been a very rare occurrence the past few seasons (we’d have done a lot better IMO had we done more often).

Players like Ross, McGuffie and Nesbitt offered a lot more than I was expecting. It was a big difference as well having 2 attacking full backs.

I do still think we need some more options at centre midfield as Miller looks done and I’m not convinced Ross is good enough to start. Upfront is the other obvious area for improvement. 

Edited by PedroMoutinho

18 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Saturday will be the real test but I was impressed with the performance tonight. We played good football and tried to pass the ball about, which has been a very rare occurrence the past few seasons (we’d have done a lot better IMO had we done more often).

Players like Ross, McGuffie and Nesbitt offered a lot more than I was expecting. It was a big difference as well having 2 attacking full backs.

I do still think we need some more options at centre midfield as Miller looks done and I’m not convinced Ross is good enough to start. Upfront is the other obvious area for improvement. 

A centre half and another box to box/goal scoring midfielder would do for me. Preferably a CB that can also play right back. Williamson is known for being injury prone and Gary Miller at right back for any prolonged length of time gives me the fear. Keena will get goals in this team - sheerin seems to know how to get the best out of players who we know have got something in them (telfer and Morrison) hopefully he can do the same with Keena, nisbitt, mcguffie, Williamson McCann and McKay. 

Guest Back Post Misses
5 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Come on, tell us what you really think. You're dying to really.

Just checked. Got through the night and still breathing 

Can't really add anything to what's been said on here already, most enjoyable game in ages with a team that actually looks like a football team not everyone on there own running about. Will see, not just Saturday but how we go on into the league but positive signs.

Hopefully I'll be able to admire the falkirk p&b posters go through an entire season taking the edge off any victory, is a fantastic tradition we have. From seasons gone by we have "it's a good result BUT we were up against the worst Hibs/Rangers/United team ever" to the present day "we looked good BUT we were only playing Rovers/Cove/Airdrie etc..." never change p&b, never change.