The Falkirk FC Thread

It was a poor Albion Rovers side so I'm not going to get too ahead of myself but what a difference in the football we played.

Mckay looks shakey defensively but by god how much better is he on the ball than Hall & Durnan ever were and to be fair that made a huge difference in our build up play. 

Williamson showing his class with the assist for the 5th goal and Weekes looked exciting when he came on took the goal very well. Mcguffie looked tidy on the ball but he's not going to offer you much playing as the left winger. I'd rather see Nesbitt out there with Mcguffie sitting in beside Telfer instead of Miller. 

Desperately need a striker of more quality as Wilson was and is rank. I'd like to see Dowds start instead of him on Saturday as even though he didn't offer much more in the second half he's still a better option.

Edited by FFC 1876

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

5 goals first competitive game out is no mean feat. Conversely we got taught how to play football tonight and are lacking match sharpness, struggling to find our shape and formation and are missing runners in midfield.

That must be because Ross has left...

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hahaha! Not quite but hope he does well for you's just not against us 

I wouldn't worry about tonight's result too much we got scudded 4-0 off Hearts in a preseason friendly the other week. We played well tonight be we're still in desperate need for a proper striker as our options are currently very limited right now.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

So happy to be back at live football and we actually played football.

Sheer joy to watch.

okay, some  obvious weaknesses but we have a team worth watching.

Night and day from the last few years.

Come on, get your ST’s bought.

I'll buy mines when we've signed a proper striker and another centre back so I know for certain I'll never have to see Ben Hall in a Falkirk shirt again.

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I wouldn't worry about tonight's result too much we got scudded 4-0 off Hearts in a preseason friendly the other week. We played well tonight be we're still in desperate need for a proper striker as our options are currently very limited right now.

We were playing players out of position and in an unknown formation given people out injured and other reasons.

Tonight was always going to be tough and just building up towards the season starting. Losing on Saturday effectively meant we weren't getting out the group stage.

Michael Stewart there got asked if he thinks Cove will go up this season and said no then went back on himself and said not as champions maybe in the playoffs. To be honest without a few really good loans; a striker and sorting out central defence I agree with him on the basis of the two games I've seen. Lucky for us we'll get a few more games before the league campaign starts 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Tonight was always going to be tough and just building up towards the season starting. Losing on Saturday effectively meant we weren't getting out the group stage.

Michael Stewart there got asked if he thinks Cove will go up this season and said no then went back on himself and said not as champions maybe in the playoffs. To be honest without another a few good loans; a striker and sorting out central defence I agree with him on the basis of the two games I've seen. Lucky for us we'll get a few more games before the league campaign starts 

From the looks of your line ups you're playing with 4 centre midfielders which can't be helping. We looked to have a lot more width with our two full backs tonight which made a massive difference. Just need Hetherington back to play in beside Telfer and I'd like a centre mid on loan to bolster us in there in case of any injuries.

Only saw parts of the game ( none of our goals ) but even allowing for the standard of opponent it was encouraging to see the team playing to a plan and has been said several times we could well have a real right back!

Obviously still short of quality in some positions but a cautiously encouraging start.

3 minutes ago, Bigbrbairn said:

Weekes is a forward. I know we can't judge on one short spell against a tiring opponent but he looks like he wants to play which is more than most we had last year

Can't beat a young zippy winger who clearly just wants to play football. He looked good in his 10 minute cameo tonight. 

Our willingness to get the ball down and pass it was probably the most pleasing aspect of tonight.

Deficiencies in the team were fairly obvious, would be surprised if Sheerin doesn't go out and sign a CH and a Striker next, and looking through the squad we probably need some cover for RB/ CM.

Feeling a lot more optimistic about the season ahead after that  

The only real negative was the totally hilarious goal we conceded (and McKay's needless foul to give the freekick away), but it was our first competitive game and with 5 new players in the starting 11 a pretty good nights work considering

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

As far as our first competitive game goes, I'm impressed with that. Started slowly but worked our way into it fairly quickly.

Was surprised to see us lining up in a 4231 after Sheerin's comments regarding the 433 but at the moment it's certainly the formation that suits our players the best. Miller expectedly being the more defensive of the pairing between him and Telfer with Telfer having the task of getting the ball moving from back to front which I thought  he done exceptionally well at tonight for the whole 90 minutes, his goal at the end being well deserved.

Our general play seems much more composed than it has been for years seemingly with the intent of sucking opposition in then rotating it quickly to the other flank where the space will be exploited. Seemed to have more success going down the right when doing this but given our reliance on that wing last season it isn't exactly a surprise especially when you consider we now have a proper fullback behind Morrison to assist. This isn't a slight to those on the left side tonight, possibly just how it worked out tonight. McCann also done well tonight.

The amount of one touch passing was good to see, hopefully something that both continues and develops over the course of the season.

Thought Ross was decent in behind Wilson during the first half, certainly before we properly took a grip of the game he seemed to be the only one driving us forward whether that be through his running off the ball creating space or driving with the ball himself. That said, I would probably give Nisbet the nod for Saturday was impressed with his composure on the ball and both his eye for pass and weight of pass. 

Hard to judge how we reacted upon losing the ball tonight as every time we did it landed right back at our centre halves due to a Rovers hoof up the park. Based on very little we seemed to regroup into our defensive shape then the front 4 were given the license to press if the ball remained in front of them, wouldn't take too much from that though as aforementioned it's based on very little.

There remains a few areas of concern for me which aren't exactly a secret. Striker, DM and a centre half. Wilson was very quiet tonight when you exclude our second goal which in his fairness he done very well with, Dowds is Dowds. Prefers to drop deep and allow people to play off him rather than get himself on the end of balls. The latter I would give the nod on Saturday.

Miller, as ever, a clogger on the ball. Slow and ponderous but does have the ability to win a big tackle now and again. Hopefully Heatherington isn't out for too long so we have the opportunity to see our new midfield in action before the league kicks off as there were some good point from my point of view.

McKay is certainly better on the ball than Durnan or Hall are. However having seen him at previous clubs and our part time resident The Scarf's comments we're aware of his weaknesses. I think the pairing we seen tonight will be the main one that we see throughout the season but I'm not overly happy about that. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Lastly, our corners were something that I noticed during the game. Almost all went front post, whether a few of them were intended we'll never know but there were two I can think of that certainly were. Hopefully something that we see continue throughout the season as it is something that we haven't been very good at for years. Of course there is a limit to how creative you can be with a set piece before teams start to latch on to the rough idea but even putting the doubt into the opposition can create chances through other ways. A lot more thought behind tonight's game than there has been previously.

So that was a lot better than I was expecting tbh although it was only against a rag tag bunch of jobbers but still it’s good to see there’s something there to work with. Compared with the utter shite we had to endure last season it’s night and day and great to see a Falkirk team with an actual style of play.

Second half we completely dominated and tired Albion out making them chase the ball pretty much all half. Morrison was unlucky with the pen was a decent hit with a lot of pace but a great save from the ‘keeper. The 4th goal was a great finish from Telfer who more than deserved it and was a great strike. The last goal was a goal we had been threatening to score all game and fair play to the young boy he took it really well.

Mutch - didn’t have a chance with the goal, made a really good save shortly after then a spectator for the rest of the game.

Williamson - Ooft we’ve got a right back lads. It’s been a while. Power of running down the right constantly and good assist for the 5th.

McKay - can’t pass the ball which terrifies me. He’s not Ben Hall though so I’ll take it.

Dixon - Absolutely solid and good to see him cut out his habit of shanking the ball down the line. Good header for the goal. Really don’t like centre backs taking corners though.

McCann - He was absolutely fine if a little quiet. Would like to see him be a little braver on the ball.

Miller - After a poor first half thought he improved in the second. Weirdly his long range passing is far superior to his short passing.

Telfer - Can’t speak highly enough of his performance. Great game and a vastly better player than what we got 2 seasons ago. Ran the game.

Ross - Was ok. Nothing much to say really.

Morrison - Had both left backs in the game on toast. 2 great goals, an assist and was unlucky with his penalty. Him and Williamson are going to be some force down the right I reckon.

McGuffie - Good first half but faded and failed to establish himself in the second. More to come from him I think. 

Wilson/Dowds - Shite. Pretty much the same player both try very, very hard but have absolutely no quality at all. Very worrying.

Weekes - Took his goal well and was unlucky not to get another when Dowds fucked up the ball through to him. Loved to see how much the goal meant to him.