The Falkirk FC Thread

3 minutes ago, Rocco said:

That’s some assumption to make. 

Just because he is laid back in his interviews certainly doesn’t mean he lacks passion or aggression. Would you rather we had someone with passion saying “and stuff like that” every few sentences?

Is that the only 2 choices that I get?

Guest Back Post Misses
34 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Sheerins interviews have been good so far but pre season its easy to stay upbeat and calm.  We'll get a better idea of his personality when we go through our first tough spell.  

He comes across quite well. He won’t change one bit IMO. He just seems that way. It is obvious to me he knows he is short of the quality he would like. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Rocco is correct. Most of the signings McKinnon made during the summer of 2019 were announced as two year deals. Then as the season progressed rumours emerged on here and elsewhere that the second year was actually conditional on FFC winning promotion. 

That was pretty much confirmed at the end of the season when Buchanan and Doyle were punted after only one year. While Telfer, Connolly, Dixon and Durnan were announced as having signed new one year deals that summer - which they shouldn't have needed if their original two year deal was still active. 

The whole thing was debated quite heavily on here so I'm surprised you missed it. 

Cheers for clearing that. Only used to dip in and out of here till the turn of the year so passed me by. 

Certainly seems like it has been par for the course before to announce 2 years that are only 1 year deals with an option. You’d think they would have announced Wilson and Holt as that given the likely backlash they would receive anyway. Not sure who it serves saying 2 year deal if it’s optional. 

16 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Keena back in training then. Hopefully not out for too long 

You can see him in the video on our twitter/Facebook. Around 1.05 to 1.15 minutes. Appears to have some sort of support on right shoulder. Maybe not quite as serious as thought. I know when I fractured my collarbone I was in a sling for 7 weeks

Was watching a few Falkirk Games on tv recently and stumbled across our 6-0 win against dumbarton 2 seasons ago when mckinnon was in charge (i was also at the game).

We played a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and it proved to be majorly successful, playing nice one twos out on the wings and had sammon "attempting" runs through the middle with mcmanus. Even tidser was playing really well setting up our 2nd and 4th goal. From what i can remember we looked defensively sound and dangerous on the counter and it amazes me as to why we didn't continue to play this way throughout the season - Wouldn't have been so negative and got so many draws i think.

Now,  i know that was only one game and therefore many will say it was a "one off performance" or something along those lines anyway, but it has been the best game i have seen falkirk play for a good 5 years, maybe apart from the 6-1 win against Dundee utd.

So after hearing that sheerin will use and adapt the team to the  2 aforementioned formations does sound quite promising, however it just comes down to the players we have. We are probably more defensively sound than 2 seasons ago, central midfield i can't comment on till we see how our new signing do and winger wise not too sure, but we are undoubtedly much poorer in the striker dept - missing a Mcmanus-esque player.

Basically i think we might be sound tactically but unless we buck up our ideas and can identify a couple of gems then i think this season might go down to the last few games and play-offs might be our best hope.

3 minutes ago, Mon_Eh_Bairns2018 said:

Was watching a few Falkirk Games on tv recently and stumbled across our 6-0 win against dumbarton 2 seasons ago when mckinnon was in charge (i was also at the game).

We played a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 and it proved to be majorly successful, playing nice one twos out on the wings and had sammon "attempting" runs through the middle with mcmanus. Even tidser was playing really well setting up our 2nd and 4th goal. From what i can remember we looked defensively sound and dangerous on the counter and it amazes me as to why we didn't continue to play this way throughout the season - Wouldn't have been so negative and got so many draws i think.

Now,  i know that was only one game and therefore many will say it was a "one off performance" or something along those lines anyway, but it has been the best game i have seen falkirk play for a good 5 years, maybe apart from the 6-1 win against Dundee utd.

So after hearing that sheerin will use and adapt the team to the  2 aforementioned formations does sound quite promising, however it just comes down to the players we have. We are probably more defensively sound than 2 seasons ago, central midfield i can't comment on till we see how our new signing do and winger wise not too sure, but we are undoubtedly much poorer in the striker dept - missing a Mcmanus-esque player.

Basically i think we might be sound tactically but unless we buck up our ideas and can identify a couple of gems then i think this season might go down to the last few games and play-offs might be our best hope.

That Dumbarton team that day were the worst opposition we have played in a league fixture at TFS. We were 5-0 at half time. Walking out after that game I genuinely thought they would finish the season on single digit points.

10 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

That Dumbarton team that day were the worst opposition we have played in a league fixture at TFS. We were 5-0 at half time. Walking out after that game I genuinely thought they would finish the season on single digit points.

At least that season we were good at pummelling the dross if nothing else. We hammered quite a few sides at home like forfar and Peterhead too. Last season we were struggling to even beat the shit sides in the league.

13 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Dumbarton were nothing to write home about, but last season and in other seasons there have been times where we still struggled to beat dross teams. But i also believe that we did just play really well and dumbarton weren't prepared

31 minutes ago, Mon_Eh_Bairns2018 said:

1 striker formations only work of too have both a striker capable of playing upfront alone and a midfield that can get up and support quickly. The ‘4-3-3’ towards the end of last season was anything but.

Personally I’m not convinced that we have either the strikers or midfielders to play it. The idea of a Dowds, Keena or Wilson upfront alone doesn’t sound promising.

Keena taking part in the small sided games is good news surely as it means he can't be long till he's back if he's taking part in contact training. Also noticed there's still a fair few trialists there so hopefully some more signings to come in.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Keena taking part in the small sided games is good news surely as it means he can't be long till he's back if he's taking part in contact training. Also noticed there's still a fair few trialists there so hopefully some more signings to come in.

I'm just guessing but he's maybe wearing a yellow, rather than red, bib so that the others know not to make any contact?

3 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

I can assure you, you were not the only one thinking that.