The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I can feel your positivity from here Shods. 

Guy might well be great but to me we're spending money on a CEO when we're in league one and struggling to get a team on the park. Just ludicrous.

I really wish the guy well and he certainly seems to be well liked - don’t know anything about his record at Stenny so won’t comment.

It has to be said though, and it’s been alluded to before, we are a League One club and can we really afford to have a structure where we have two highly paid executives (CEO and Sporting Director), particularly when the playing squad is so sparse and we, by the Board’s own admission, are burning through the cash reserves.

Until the glaring gaps in the squad are addressed then it’s near impossible to get behind these non-playing appointments that have been made.

All these appointments are great if the product on the park goes the same way. They are clearly getting the infrastructure sorted but if we don't get promoted it's pointless. A bit like putting a £10k sound system in a £300 banger. Bottom line is what the players do on the pitch.

Whilst I’d much rather have seen a centre forward being announced this morning, if we are going to be making such appointments then that is a very good one. Between Swinney and McGivern it’s been a good week for off field appointments. Just hope we have at least 4 equally good ones on the field lined up…

7 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

At the risk of sounding negative here - please don’t read this as that - but can anyone explain to me why McGivern’s appointment is so great? Is that the guy’s background professionally?

He admitted in his interview he has no experience in his new role.

I think Falkirk FC have made an excellent appointment in Jamie Swinney and I sincerely wish him all the best in his new role. As I wrote in the Stenhousemuir FC thread, it's difficult to determine Jamie's success at the club but I've always felt we've simply been "better" since he's been our CEO. Although we've had a mediocre few years on the park, we're in a good place off it and a lot of that comes down to him.

He's a throughly smashing guy and I hope he does well.

25 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

At the risk of sounding negative here - please don’t read this as that - but can anyone explain to me why McGivern’s appointment is so great? Is that the guy’s background professionally?

He's a Falkirk man so he must be good at everything and anything. 

7 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I think Falkirk FC have made an excellent appointment in Jamie Swinney and I sincerely wish him all the best in his new role. As I wrote in the Stenhousemuir FC thread, it's difficult to determine Jamie's success at the club but I've always felt we've simply been "better" since he's been our CEO. Although we've had a mediocre few years on the park, we're in a good place off it and a lot of that comes down to him.

He's a throughly smashing guy and I hope he does well.

He's downgraded then from Mediocre on the park and Good off it to Shit on the Park and Disaster off it then from the move.

42 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

I actually feel sorry for McGivern.

His appointment to a role that he has zero experience of doing is a deeply cynical move by the BoD who are attempting to use his popularity as a smokescreen for the collapse of the commercial department.

I really hope that this works for him as it would be hellish if his career went down the pan at his age.

BTW any one in a commercial environment with the title Executive is normally one step up from the cleaner.

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Look at McManus , he wasn't in county's plans at all but we had could have easily lost him without ponying up more dough. look at  gullen at Raith. Hibs were a decent side but still brought him back in January . There is a decent chance that if we get someone in and they bang in the goals that they will be recalled in January. That's fine if you've got decent backups that are your players but at the moment that's far from the case.  I'd like to see us signing a striker and getting one in on loan so we're not fecked in January.

Sorry, thought we were talking season long loan deals? As far as I’m aware those examples were shorter term? Always going to be a risk of not getting them back if it’s a shorter loan, be it going back to the parent club or on loan to another club at a higher level or willing to pay up more money. 

Edited by Caractacus Potts

1500 bodies gives the board no excuses for the squad they put on the park. Get them signings made! Still 3 weeks till the start of the league season also so we may be closer to 2000 come the start of the season, which is a lot more than we expected on here.

Edited by FFC 1876

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

1500 bodies gives the board no excuses for the squad they put on the park. Get them signings made! Still 3 weeks till the start of the league season also so we may be a lot closer to 2000 than we initially all thought on here come the start of the season.

Its excellent numbers and just shows the loyalty of the fan base even if I don't purchase one myself. I wont judge others for buying theirs. 

At those numbers there are no excuses for not wiping the floor with the teams in this league.  The way I look at it, every extra ST bought adds a bit more pressure on the board and Sheerin to produce the goods .