The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That was early eighties I think. Looking at that photo, the Leeds number 5 looks very like Jackie Charlton. Obviously not as Charlton had packed playing in the early 70s, but from that image, the guy looks very like the big guy.

It's Neil Aspin, who was only young at the time (I think he was 17) and had only just joined Leeds. 

He does look a little like Big Jack to be fair 

neil.jpg

7 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That was early eighties I think. Looking at that photo, the Leeds number 5 looks very like Jackie Charlton. Obviously not as Charlton had packed playing in the early 70s, but from that image, the guy looks very like the big guy.

Think it was about 83/84 as if my memory serves me right I was about 17/18 at the time.

7 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I don't think Hall will start if Sheerin plans to play a back 4, more likely McKay & Dixon as centre backs. 

I think they've probably been trying to get players in on loan but clubs are possibly not willing to let the better fringe players go ATM until they see what they can bring in themselves. There hasn't been a huge amount of loan deals done so far really. For example, I'd love to see Hamilton coming to us from Livingston but they're a bit short up front as Reilly is fucked, JET has gone to Aberdeen and they've let Poplatnik go to Raith so, if they don't bring somebody else in, they'll probably want to hang on to him.

Scott Robinson left and Kouder-aissa has joined Airdrie aswell. I think Hamilton will be featuring for Livi this season. One to keep an aye on though, I'm sure this is last year of his contract too. 

7 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

The fact the words "top up" are used gives you the fear that some of the trialists are more to the forefront of additions than anything else. If that is the train of thought then it's not only an absolute disgrace, get the season in the bin already and start planning for part time football next season.  Gary Miller, Ben Hall, Anton Dowds have never been great they have been fucking dugshite, and will continue to be. 

You should be able to tell if the trialists are any good by now. Looks like they're just desperate to sign someone.

57 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You should be able to tell if the trialists are any good by now. Looks like they're just desperate to sign someone.

If they were then surely they'd have signed one of the trialists by now. Ruth wasn't in either of the Aberdeen teams yesterday(they fielded two seperate 11's in each half) and neither was Miko Virtanen.

The big problem with loan strikers especially is if they do well they get recalled halfway through the season which leads to  at best a month of uncertainty and at worst us scraping about in the January window for a replacement and we know how that usually ends up.  

Guest Caractacus Potts
4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The big problem with loan strikers especially is if they do well they get recalled halfway through the season which leads to  at best a month of uncertainty and at worst us scraping about in the January window for a replacement and we know how that usually ends up.  

If we got a loan signing for a top 6 team then it’s unlikely they would be recalled even if they do score some goals. It is League One after all.  Stevie May didn’t even get a recall when he was banging them in for Hamilton in the Championship so should be safe from that. 

I think Shagger  is right too in that a lot of loan players might not become available till nearer the end of August when the top teams have their squad set. Youth coaches will also want to hang on to players for the Challenge Cup matches. I remember we didn’t get Rudden till after we put Rangers Colts out the cup, with him scoring against us. 

Problem is can we afford to wait that long!? It’s not just injuries we’ll have to deal with but suspensions and potential Covid outbreaks. First competitive game now 4 days away and we can’t fill a bench. 

2 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

If we got a loan signing for a top 6 team then it’s unlikely they would be recalled even if they do score some goals. It is League One after all.  Stevie May didn’t even get a recall when he was banging them in for Hamilton in the Championship so should be safe from that. 

I think Shagger  is right too in that a lot of loan players might not become available till nearer the end of August when the top teams have their squad set. Youth coaches will also want to hang on to players for the Challenge Cup matches. I remember we didn’t get Rudden till after we put Rangers Colts out the cup, with him scoring against us. 

Problem is can we afford to wait that long!? It’s not just injuries we’ll have to deal with but suspensions and potential Covid outbreaks. First competitive game now 4 days away and we can’t fill a bench. 

Look at McManus , he wasn't in county's plans at all but we had could have easily lost him without ponying up more dough. look at  gullen at Raith. Hibs were a decent side but still brought him back in January . There is a decent chance that if we get someone in and they bang in the goals that they will be recalled in January. That's fine if you've got decent backups that are your players but at the moment that's far from the case.  I'd like to see us signing a striker and getting one in on loan so we're not fecked in January.

28 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Look at McManus , he wasn't in county's plans at all but we had could have easily lost him without ponying up more dough. look at  gullen at Raith. Hibs were a decent side but still brought him back in January . There is a decent chance that if we get someone in and they bang in the goals that they will be recalled in January. That's fine if you've got decent backups that are your players but at the moment that's far from the case.  I'd like to see us signing a striker and getting one in on loan so we're not fecked in January.

We’re unlikely to sign a striker who is going to bang in goals though. It’s more likely that a striker we get on loan will be better quality, therefore, in your scenario, we will be in the same position anyway. There really is no solution 

8 minutes ago, Rocco said:

We’re unlikely to sign a striker who is going to bang in goals though. It’s more likely that a striker we get on loan will be better quality, therefore, in your scenario, we will be in the same position anyway. There really is no solution 

If we don't get a striker that will bang in goals in league one then we may aswell pack in now. We need a 15 to 20 goal striker at this level if we want to win the league.  Cove have one. Queen's park have one if he stays fit.   I'd also think Airdrie and montrose would also have at least one in a full 36  game season and Clyde have one.Our top scoring forward last season had what 3 league goals or something? 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Kind of flies in the face of what the boards answer was in the Q&A with this bit

We need to build, and indeed repair relationships with supporters and sponsors and that will be my top priority from day one in the role.

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Happy enough with that he done very well at Stenhousemuir in terms of engaging the community and fits our family club ethos. He's also an absolute workhorse.

He deserves his chance. I just hope he realises quickly that he's fighting a losing battle with these numpties.