The Falkirk FC Thread

51 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Dundee United, but can’t remember the opponent. Bad enough that the ref claimed the ball hit the post, when in fact it hit the stanchion in the back of the net, he waved play on even when one of the defenders picked the ball up and handed it to his keeper. It was very surreal.

It was Partick v Dundee U at Firhill. Unbelievable call from Mottram....then again, maybe not.🤔😂

Sorry, I see I`m late to the party!!

Edited by 60`s bairn

22 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Prior to the Q&A session I got in touch with the club to question the proposed format of the session and the club was courteous enough to reply to my email giving their reasons. While at the end of the day we had to agree to disagree, a channel of communication had been opened. After the Q&A the club announced that anybody wishing to contact the board could get in touch at board@falkirkfc.co.uk

Now we are all on here venting our spleens (myself included) about the lack of information and signings when, and perhaps I am being naïve, we have a channel of communication available for our use and where we might actually get some answers.

As I got in touch with the club previously and ‘have done my bit’, would any other poster on here consider taking up the mantle and contacting the club to see if they might give us a general update on any signing targets and the likelihood of these targets joining the club? And in what timescale? Without of course being too specific so as not to jeopardise negotiations etc.

Might I suggest that if/when somebody does make contact that they keep things civil and polite as I believe that, when corresponding at least, the old adage of you catching more flies with honey than you do with vinegar applies.

Any takers?

Please don’t shoot me down, I’m just trying to help.

I get that the board have now opened up a channel for fans to ask any questions that they may have but we shouldn't have to be asking what's happening on the squad front. That kind of thing should be communicated as regularly as possible to try drum up as much excitement for the season as possible and therefore sell as many season tickets as possible.

We're not the only team in the league with just 16 players signed but being full time and having had a director of football in place since January you'd think we wouldn't be in this position so close to the competitive season starting.

Reading on BBC news there they have forfeited their cup game with Forfar and said they were aiming to use the cup games as a preseason as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57761202

'The punishment is harsh' - analysis

Former Ross County manager Stuart Kettlewell

I am led to believe that Ross County were using these games, as a lot of clubs do, as part of their pre-season. So it has a huge impact on so many fronts. 

We're now trying to cram getting players up to speed, trying to bed in your philosophy and methods, your ethos and you don't have much time to do so. And, if you throw in a 10-day break into that where a club goes into shutdown, it really does put you up against it.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

I get that the board have now opened up a channel for fans to ask any questions that they may have but we shouldn't have to be asking what's happening on the squad front. That kind of thing should be communicated as regularly as possible to try drum up as much excitement for the season as possible and therefore sell as many season tickets as possible.

We're not the only team in the league with just 16 players signed but being full time and having had a director of football in place since January you'd think we wouldn't be in this position so close to the competitive season starting.

It’s understandable that the club might not be able to share details of signing targets until they are over the line . This is a competitive area and we don’t want to alert other clubs as to who we may be targeting . Let’s all calm down and review the team / prospects th etc once we have a full squad and we see them in action. The suggestion about contacting the board to ask about potential targets is nonsense . Our role is to get behind the team and support the cause until is obvious wether Sheerin is capable or not until then let’s not panic the current signings should be well capable of beating Albion Rovers etc 

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

It’s understandable that the club might not be able to share details of signing targets until they are over the line . This is a competitive area and we don’t want to alert other clubs as to who we may be targeting . Let’s all calm down and review the team / prospects th etc once we have a full squad and we see them in action. The suggestion about contacting the board to ask about potential targets is nonsense . Our role is to get behind the team and support the cause until is obvious wether Sheerin is capable or not until then let’s not panic the current signings should be well capable of beating Albion Rovers etc 

Aye, there's no way that they'd give us details of players that they may have enquired about for exactly the reasons that you state.

13 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Well capable of beating Albion Rovers? you seem to forget Dowds is our only signed striker who's fit and with Gary Miller in the middle of the park and Hall at the back that's a leveller straight away. 

15 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

We said that about Montrose last season. When was the last time we beat a full time side ? We were rubbish last season and there is nothing to suggest that this squad is any better, if not worse.

We really need these so called 6 signings to be better quality than waht we have.

If Albion Rovers do take something from us, then we really are in the s**t.

14 minutes ago, Zbairn said:

We said that about Montrose last season. When was the last time we beat a full time side ? We were rubbish last season and there is nothing to suggest that this squad is any better, if not worse.

We really need these so called 6 signings to be better quality than waht we have.

If Albion Rovers do take something from us, then we really are in the s**t.

I agree but we should have enough quality to stuff them - I’m sure we will see some new additions soon enough ! 

45 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I'm not asking for them to come out and say 'we've offered contracts to x, y and z' but a bit of a squad update wouldn't go amiss. They touched on it in the Q&A but in Sheerin's interview last week there was nothing other than him mentioning that decisions on the trialists would be made this week. 

What's wrong with coming out and saying 'we're still working hard to bring in new recruits for the coming season, with Paul Sheerin still looking to bring in a Striker etc.' An update on any injuries ie Keena who's been heavily leaked but would be nice for the club to clear up how that injury actually is and given we're all aware of the two trialist strikers if they've made the decision to not sign them why not tell us that. 

The bod won't tell you anything re signings and saying we're still working hard to bring people in means absolutely feck all.  All fans can do is communicate their fear over the standard of player we've brought in so far and that we're about to start competitive football in less than a week with the bare minimum of a squad and no strikers.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

All fans can do is communicate their fear over the standard of player we've brought in so far and that we're about to start competitive football in less than a week with the bare minimum of a squad and no strikers.

Are you up for it Shadwell? Will you contact the club voicing your concerns?

10 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Are you up for it Shadwell? Will you contact the club voicing your concerns?

I appreciate they have set up this avenue for fans to email in but really what are you expecting them to say? They are gonna tell you the players signed went through player analysis etc etc and when it comes to lack of strikers they are just gonna say they are working hard at bringing people in. 

Are people honestly under the impression they are gonna start firing back emails to fans personally to update you on timescales for signings, mental. 

Can’t help but be depressed about Holt whenever I think of falkirk. He’s been here since what, December. Failed miserably last transfer window where MCCall excelled. We then play another 10 or so games with Keena up top on his own, who’s now injured. In that time Holt seems to have simply not realized we need to recruit a striker. Even Robertson and Wilson seem like after thoughts, with neither anywhere near the standard required. 

Also, despite disagreeing with the decision, I’m almost glad the board rejected the 600k ish+get holt out deal. They’ve really shot themselves in the foot with that one. If we start poorly/averagely then they have nowhere to hide. None of the usual “we couldn’t match the wages of x club so couldn’t bring our desired player in” will now cut it. They’d just turned down cold cash that would’ve made those signings possible. With fans back in grounds they may be in for a shock