The Falkirk FC Thread

5 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

If we don't go up and looking at the current squad it's highly unlikely unless they add 6 top quality signings in the next week or so can Falkirk fans really have any complaints. How many years have we all blindly given them money with f**k all in return apart from bullshit and pish signings. Why should this season be any different.

season tickets are over 1300 and Sammy has just entered the building to try and bridge the gap and get a feel good factor, sadly the horse has already bolted. It won't be any different. I'll even go as far as saying Sheerin's reputation as a decent coach will be in tatters by Christmas, perhaps not all of his own doing, you can't make a silk purse out a pigs ear especially when your hamstrung from the outset. The most utterly ridiculous thing at the minute is collectively the weapons at boardroom level actually believe we have a decent side ànd are capable of winning the league 😂

8 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Expenses only are you having a laugh?  You wouldn't get guys like Pressley applying if that was the case.  £45k a year is the supposed amount. More than he was getting to manage premier League livi.

Yes it's expenses only , however they are on track to exceed 50K for the year as he is on his mobile phone for 12 hours a day and has had to go to a top analyst in Harley Street to treat his sleep deprivation due to late night email overload.   

He's also been chartering a private jet to fly to Tenerife on several occasions as he gets a particularly intricate Kilmarnock tattoo done on his back, I think it's based on the 1997 cup final so the club are duty bound to pay for it - he's well worth it!    

6 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

It's just confirmed that we have a game against our Non Playing Staff on Saturday.

As we have a couple of injuries the NPS boys have kindly loaned us a few players so we can have subs.

Unfortunately they have Sammy McGivern so we will get stuffed.

Should be a cracker though, unless they call off at the last minute but that won't be Falkirk's fault.  

Falkirk FC hard at work preparing for our game against Albion Rovers next Tuesday.

Our 2 latest signings, the Bean Counter and the Tea Boy, showed up particularly well in training.

We'll have the league won by Christmas, no worries.

Office Staff Playing Football Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock  Illustration. Image 30524154.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Guest Back Post Misses
12 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Yip it’s a real worry as the playing squad so far looks poor when compared to the type of squad that would give us some optimism . I can’t see Rawlins getting the organization of the pitch sorted and not brining in more quality so  it’s all a bit confusing . Maybe in the next few days all will be revealed as it doesn’t make any sense. 
How do we know Holt is getting  50k because I heard from a very good source that when he joined us it was expenses only. ? 

There is a tooth fairy, Unicorns exist and the moon is made of cream cheese. This wins naive post of all seasons.Some of our fans can be served up all sorts of drivel and they will fall for it. Holt is getting expenses and working 12 hours a day. Jesus f**k I ask you 

Edited by Back Post Misses

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

There is a tooth fairy, Unicorns exist and the moon is made of cream cheese. This wins naive post of all seasons.Some of our fans can be served up all sorts of drivel and they will fall for it. Holt is getting expenses and working 12 hours a day. Jesus f**k I ask you 

I am still gobsmacked & amazed that folk on here are still being taken in or supportive of this Board of Directors.

They have led us to our worst postiion in the league in decades and either lied to or fed us drivel for a good period of time.....and yet some on here still want to give them time, let them get their infrastructure in place, lets wait and see how the season starts off etc.

As it stands, we are a shambles both on and off the park.

We are not even the bookies favourites this season, on a par with Airdrie and Queens Park. Thats how low we have now become. .....and yet folk will come on here and think everything is rosy and that we shouldn't castigate Deans et al for where they have led us! 

FFS, wake up and smell the coffee !

Christ, I normally only dip into this thread once a day but the last few days have been worse than ever to catch up on.  I'm not happy either with the quality of the squad but I'd be shocked if we don't sign at least 5 new players before the league campaign kicks off.   Then we'll see where we are squad wise  v Cove and QP.   The amount of panic over Cove being favourites is mental - they signed Robbie Leitch FFS.  

Trying to stand back and not get caught up in the end of the world scenarios most on here are painting - here are some positives:

- We still have up to 6 players to come in (!)  
- None of us actually know how well the new signings up to this point will do.  I like most others am not impressed with recruitment to date but its not based on having actually seen them in a Falkirk jersey so prepared to wait and see.  We might be pleasantly surprised?  I don't think friendlies to date tell us anything.  
- Our style of play this year should be night and day compared to M&M and McKinnon - that alone should mean we pick up more points.

- We appear to have much better coaching structure this year.  There's good reason to be hopeful that Sheerin and Grainger will deliver results. 
- We've sold 1300 season tickets, more than the 15-20 regular poster bubble on here would ever have expected a few weeks ago. Likely to now end up around 1750(ish) which given the circumstances is exceptional and shows that if we get it right on the park we'll continue to be very well backed from the stands.  
- We now have a well renowned scout in place which should reduce the impact of Holt on first team recruitment
- We haven't signed Wilson or Robertson (whose trial periods were no doubt agreed by Holt before Sheerin came in).  
- McGivern is back!  
- Holt is an arrogant p*ck who never stays in a job long - with a bit of luck he'll fall out with everyone and be gone before the end of the season and someone more capable will be in that role

There.  Feeling better?  :)

It's so important we get it right on the pitch.  Let's see who else signs, what our final squad then looks like and how Sheerin get's us playing and then judge everything else.  Start with a few wins and nobody will be talking about the board or the infrastructure.  

5 hours ago, Zbairn said:

I am still gobsmacked & amazed that folk on here are still being taken in or supportive of this Board of Directors.

They have led us to our worst postiion in the league in decades and either lied to or fed us drivel for a good period of time.....and yet some on here still want to give them time, let them get their infrastructure in place, lets wait and see how the season starts off etc.

As it stands, we are a shambles both on and off the park.

We are not even the bookies favourites this season, on a par with Airdrie and Queens Park. Thats how low we have now become. .....and yet folk will come on here and think everything is rosy and that we shouldn't castigate Deans et al for where they have led us! 

FFS, wake up and smell the coffee !

I guess some folk just aren't f*cking miserable.  

7 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

It's so important we get it right on the pitch.  Let's see who else signs, what our final squad then looks like and how Sheerin get's us playing and then judge everything else.  Start with a few wins and nobody will be talking about the board or the infrastructure. 

I agree with this and in general I've been fairly positive (or less negative) compared to many posters.

That said, I've always wanted to wait and see what the signings look like before hammering the board/recruitment but with 5 days until our first competitive fixture we have 16 players including a couple who haven't played in the preseason games. It's an embarrassment that we won't be able to fill the bench on Tuesday and the squad looks nowhere near the quality required today.

9 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Christ, I normally only dip into this thread once a day but the last few days have been worse than ever to catch up on.  I'm not happy either with the quality of the squad but I'd be shocked if we don't sign at least 5 new players before the league campaign kicks off.   Then we'll see where we are squad wise  v Cove and QP.   The amount of panic over Cove being favourites is mental - they signed Robbie Leitch FFS.  

Trying to stand back and not get caught up in the end of the world scenarios most on here are painting - here are some positives:

- We still have up to 6 players to come in (!)  
- None of us actually know how well the new signings up to this point will do.  I like most others am not impressed with recruitment to date but its not based on having actually seen them in a Falkirk jersey so prepared to wait and see.  We might be pleasantly surprised?  I don't think friendlies to date tell us anything.  
- Our style of play this year should be night and day compared to M&M and McKinnon - that alone should mean we pick up more points.

- We appear to have much better coaching structure this year.  There's good reason to be hopeful that Sheerin and Grainger will deliver results. 
- We've sold 1300 season tickets, more than the 15-20 regular poster bubble on here would ever have expected a few weeks ago. Likely to now end up around 1750(ish) which given the circumstances is exceptional and shows that if we get it right on the park we'll continue to be very well backed from the stands.  
- We now have a well renowned scout in place which should reduce the impact of Holt on first team recruitment
- We haven't signed Wilson or Robertson (whose trial periods were no doubt agreed by Holt before Sheerin came in).  
- McGivern is back!  
- Holt is an arrogant p*ck who never stays in a job long - with a bit of luck he'll fall out with everyone and be gone before the end of the season and someone more capable will be in that role

There.  Feeling better?  :)

Don’t think anyone is panicking over Cove being favourites? Think everyone just knows they have a 20+ goal striker in their team and another 5–10 goal striker in reserve while we currently have Anton Dowds leading the line and until that is addressed then we need to be realistic and say we ain’t got a team close to winning the league. 

The quicker Gary Holt has no affiliation to our club the better. Easy to tell that everyone wants whats best for our club but the divide in opinion is scary and right now the club has done nothing to suggest that will improve any time soon. Like others ill hold judgement on the squad until ive seen them myself.

34 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Don’t think anyone is panicking over Cove being favourites? Think everyone just knows they have a 20+ goal striker in their team and another 5–10 goal striker in reserve while we currently have Anton Dowds leading the line and until that is addressed then we need to be realistic and say we ain’t got a team close to winning the league. 

But is their left back any good? Some of our fans believe that’s what makes the difference 

16 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

Was that the Partick game???

Dundee United, but can’t remember the opponent. Bad enough that the ref claimed the ball hit the post, when in fact it hit the stanchion in the back of the net, he waved play on even when one of the defenders picked the ball up and handed it to his keeper. It was very surreal.

2 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Dundee United, but can’t remember the opponent. Bad enough that the ref claimed the ball hit the post, when in fact it hit the stanchion in the back of the net, he waved play on even when one of the defenders picked the ball up and handed it to his keeper. It was very surreal.

Was Partick thistle at home to Dundee united.

I'm far more concerned with our own side than any other team in this league. If we can't produce comfortably the best side in this league we may as well pack the whole thing in. The other sides will.be mediocre at best . There wasn't a decent side in the league last year and yet we could only finish fifth. Easily the biggest embarrassment in my 45 years plus of watching Falkirk.  So far I'm not convinced at all and let's face it the signings made early in the window should be your best ones. Pre contracts and the players you really want as the mainstays of  your side.  The finishing touches are then made in the final few weeks of the window once the season has started.  The fact that some folk seem to think our next 6 signings are going to be our best is scary.  It's more likely to be a forward and some squad fillers at this stage.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

10 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Was Partick thistle at home to Dundee united.

Finished 4-0 to United at Firhill which lessened Wee Jim's fury somewhat but it ended Mottram's career here, and he flounced off to the new J-League to make a few bob.

Incidentally, my brother and I were talking about a separate Mottram incident, in WC '94. He played about 4 minutes stoppage time at the end of both halves of Nigeria v Greece I think it was. Nothing unusual now, but he sparked fury because it was so unusual at the time, and one side scored in injury time in both halves! So he was ahead of his time (no pun intended) on that occasion.

Prior to the Q&A session I got in touch with the club to question the proposed format of the session and the club was courteous enough to reply to my email giving their reasons. While at the end of the day we had to agree to disagree, a channel of communication had been opened. After the Q&A the club announced that anybody wishing to contact the board could get in touch at board@falkirkfc.co.uk

Now we are all on here venting our spleens (myself included) about the lack of information and signings when, and perhaps I am being naïve, we have a channel of communication available for our use and where we might actually get some answers.

As I got in touch with the club previously and ‘have done my bit’, would any other poster on here consider taking up the mantle and contacting the club to see if they might give us a general update on any signing targets and the likelihood of these targets joining the club? And in what timescale? Without of course being too specific so as not to jeopardise negotiations etc.

Might I suggest that if/when somebody does make contact that they keep things civil and polite as I believe that, when corresponding at least, the old adage of you catching more flies with honey than you do with vinegar applies.

Any takers?

Please don’t shoot me down, I’m just trying to help.

6 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Prior to the Q&A session I got in touch with the club to question the proposed format of the session and the club was courteous enough to reply to my email giving their reasons. While at the end of the day we had to agree to disagree, a channel of communication had been opened. After the Q&A the club announced that anybody wishing to contact the board could get in touch at board@falkirkfc.co.uk

Now we are all on here venting our spleens (myself included) about the lack of information and signings when, and perhaps I am being naïve, we have a channel of communication available for our use and where we might actually get some answers.

As I got in touch with the club previously and ‘have done my bit’, would any other poster on here consider taking up the mantle and contacting the club to see if they might give us a general update on any signing targets and the likelihood of these targets joining the club? And in what timescale? Without of course being too specific so as not to jeopardise negotiations etc.

Might I suggest that if/when somebody does make contact that they keep things civil and polite as I believe that, when corresponding at least, the old adage of you catching more flies with honey than you do with vinegar applies.

Any takers?

Please don’t shoot me down, I’m just trying to help.

I did in fact email them about the fact that there were no fixtures shown on the website. I received a full response from Colin McFarlanre almost immediately explaining that they were having a new website built but, lo and behold, the full fixture list appeared within about a day.

As I am not quite so upset at this point as some others on here, maybe one of the severest critics might take up your suggestion which is a good one.