The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Think it's Tommy O'Hara in the top pic with Arthur Grant in Navy and possibly Billy Stevenson in the bottom one. Don't recognise the 'keeper; maybe a trialist?

I got Grant straight away, and O'Hara after a bit.

I'm going for 1983 or 1984.

Best thing about those photos is

a) our strips, and the Brockville grass, looked magnificent in sunshine.

b) the mega-old school curved goal stanchions. Did anywhere else have those; they were pretty unique to us weren't they? Most clubs went for the two rectangles behind the post/bar junctions.

Oh aye, and Gary Holt can get fucked.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

Recent quote from the club re refunds and season tickets :-

"We recognise that you missed out on three home games from last season as a result of the curtailed fixture list.  If all season ticket holders received a cash refund for the missing games this would cost the club around £75,000.  If we were to pay this money out it would severely affect our squad building for the coming season.

Last season was a massive disappointment.  Not only did it end badly, but you had to watch games on TV so did not get the match day experience.  We recognise this and want to compensate you without damaging the club and impairing our ability to get out of League One, which we know is everyone’s ambition.

We are already committed to providing Paul Sheerin with a playing squad budget that we believe is the largest in the league and have recently restarted our youth development programme. If we reduce season ticket prices or offer cash refunds, we are simply reducing the amount of money that we can spend and will then be forced to make very difficult decisions about the playing squad and youth development, something no one wants us to do."

The begging bowl was out yet we can pay Holt £50k, Sandy A £75k for the South Stand rent when the North Stand lies empty, a reduced income from a main shirt sponsor (as it is rumoured CD were cheesed off and walked), salary for a new CEO which will be > £50k, turning down £550k potential investment as they couldn't agree on terms that would see a shift or reduction in power from Deans / Rawlins.

............and here we are a week from the start of a new season with barely a squad, no back up goalkeeper, no striker of note.

No wonder I'm as miserable as sin at the thought of where OUR club is going !

23 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Management and Staff                                                                            Players

Gary Holt (Sporting Director)                                                                  Robbie Mutch

Paul Sheerin (Head Coach)                                                                      Paul Dixon

Danny Grainger (Assistant Head Coach)                                           Blair Sneddon

Tony Caig (Goalkeeping Coach)                                                              Ryan Williamson

Liam Corr (Head of analysis)                                                                    Ben Hall

Ian Fergus (Head of the development squad)                                  Brad McKay

Alan Fraser (Scout)                                                                                       Leon McCann

Graeme Henderson(Head of performance)                                       Callumn Morrison

Rachel Gillen (Physio)                                                                                   Steven Hetherington

Robert Lochhead (Kit Manager)                                                             Gary Miller

Bobby Wilson (volunteer?) (Asst Kitman)                                             Aidan Nesbitt

Sam McGivern (Commercial Executive)                                                Charlie Telfer

Sharon McGuire (Commercial)                                                                  Craig McGuffie

Keith Hogg (Operations Manager)                                                         Seb Ross

Allan Dick (Safeguarding Officer)                                                           Aidan Keena

Andy Thomson (Disability Access)                                                        Anton Dowds

Jacqueline Galbraith (Retail manager)

Victoria Logan (Finance)

Laura Craig(Ticketing)

Adam Ouakli (media)

Andrew Macleod (media)

I know that we need management and staff behind the scenes but more backroom staff than players?

2 media guys and we cant even get the current signed players profile up on the official page.  I think we need to get rid of Holt and maybe a couple of players and hire more media staff so the pages can be kept up to date. 

Guest Caractacus Potts

I actually have no problem with Gary Holt being on Open Goal. It’s only a short guest stint. I would say it’s a tad unwise from a public perception given where things stand right now especially since they just gave it large about how committed he is. 

My biggest problem with Gary Holt is with regards to Falkirk. Firstly I think it’s a waste of a wage in League One. I don’t see what benefit we gain at the moment from an SD and I think the wage would be better served in the first team budget.

The other thing is that I thought Gary Holt was a strange person to appoint given his age and relatively short experience in management. Listened to a bit of that interview and he seems to be stating that he is open to other offers. This was one of the issues I had with Holt and that interview seems to confirm that he’s just here for a stop gap, nothing else yet in the time being Holt is appointing our managers, selecting our team and supposed to be laying foundations for the future. He’s barely been at a club for more than 2 years! Surely if this idea is to work we need someone that’s prepared to be here longer term.

I'm hoping that we get a really competent CEO in who comes from an established football background and that he (or she) takes one look at Holt and his performance to date and shows him the door. Even better, if it would be possible for the CEO to combine that role with that of the Sporting Director, save us a few bob and spend it on some players. Wonder if Crawford Baptie would consider coming back? (As CEO, not as a player!)😁

25 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I got Grant straight away, and O'Hara after a bit.

I'm going for 1983 or 1984.

Best thing about those photos is

a) our strips, and the Brockville grass, looked magnificent in sunshine.

b) the mega-old school curved goal stanchions. Did anywhere else have those; they were pretty unique to us weren't they? Most clubs went for the two rectangles behind the post/bar junctions.

Oh aye, and Gary Holt can get fucked.

I loved the old goals as well, they were there on my first game in 62 right up to the time they decided stanchions had to go. Better view in this pic against Leeds.😉

Arthur Grant v Leeds.jpg

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

We've got about 9 players signed and this clown is playing grab ass with Paul Slane

No more strikers signing then. Holt's parking the bus. 

League One first team squad sizes:

• Montrose - 23
  • Peterhead - 19
  • Cove Rangers - 18
  • East Fife - 17
  • Falkirk - 16
  • Dumbarton - 16
  • Alloa Athletic - 21
  • Clyde - 21
  • Airdrie - 18
  • Queens Park - 21

Now while being selective and focused on signing the correct players is key, we are a week from our first competitive games and we only have 16 players. Some of these, as was admitted in Sheerin's last interview, are carrying knocks. Also, our rivals have some form of development or youth teams in place to supplement the first team bench if needed in a emergency. We have 16 players. Period!!!

i think a time of action and clarity is needed from the club. 1300 season tickets have been sold and after our recent farces, they will be demanding something on the pitch. 

While it is good to see the only headlines are about Sammy's first day in his new job, unless he is about to come out of retirement and pull in a jersey, I believe the fans that have put their hands into their pockets and bought season tickets, or even to encourage those still on the fence, need to see that we are building a squad that can delivery the league title, nothing less will suffice, and are doing that now.  I gets a bit repetitive hearing the same canned statements that 'We are working hard' and 'are looking to sign the right player's over and over again.

Will we get to the eve of the season and start giving deals to players until January just to pack out the squad somewhat? Surely that is not part of the new vision.

The fans needs to hear news and hear it now.

You wouldn't mind so much if we had 16 players of a decent quality. But we have 16 of mediocrity, we will be lucky to finish clear of the playoffs at the bottom end as it stands. Sheerin must be wishing he had stayed at Aberdeen. Because he's clearly been duped by Holt and the board regarding ambition. 

2 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Recent quote from the club re refunds and season tickets :-

"We recognise that you missed out on three home games from last season as a result of the curtailed fixture list.  If all season ticket holders received a cash refund for the missing games this would cost the club around £75,000.  If we were to pay this money out it would severely affect our squad building for the coming season.

Last season was a massive disappointment.  Not only did it end badly, but you had to watch games on TV so did not get the match day experience.  We recognise this and want to compensate you without damaging the club and impairing our ability to get out of League One, which we know is everyone’s ambition.

We are already committed to providing Paul Sheerin with a playing squad budget that we believe is the largest in the league and have recently restarted our youth development programme. If we reduce season ticket prices or offer cash refunds, we are simply reducing the amount of money that we can spend and will then be forced to make very difficult decisions about the playing squad and youth development, something no one wants us to do."

The begging bowl was out yet we can pay Holt £50k, Sandy A £75k for the South Stand rent when the North Stand lies empty, a reduced income from a main shirt sponsor (as it is rumoured CD were cheesed off and walked), salary for a new CEO which will be > £50k, turning down £550k potential investment as they couldn't agree on terms that would see a shift or reduction in power from Deans / Rawlins.

............and here we are a week from the start of a new season with barely a squad, no back up goalkeeper, no striker of note.

No wonder I'm as miserable as sin at the thought of where OUR club is going !

It’s worrying that if you choose to have a look at any of their statements a week or two on, it’s virtually certain that they will have contradicted themselves at some point. The above is a perfect example. Can’t remember the last time I could believe a single word that comes out of that Boardroom.