The Falkirk FC Thread

Will be interesting to see how we do tomorrow night. 

Trying to be positive I do think we'd have gone up each of the last two seasons (even with the dross we had) if the style of play had been better.  If Sheerin can get us playing to feet and passing more quickly then it shouldn't be difficult to cause all teams in this league problems.  

I agree recruitment has been poor but hoping that the likes of McGuffie, Ross and Nesbitt turn out better than everyone is fearing.  

I get that folk want us competitive in the League Cup but I'd rather Sheerin used the time to fully assess the squad and make sure the last 4-6 players coming in are the standard we need.  It has to be a good sign that we haven't signed Wilson or Robertson yet.  

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Any agent will try to get the individual to a club playing at as high a level as possible. He does his job on behalf of the player and a bigger payday for the agent.

Falkirk at the level they are at will not even be considered.

Any signing will will have nothing to do with Rawlins or his associates.

Agree with this to an extent.  I doubt many agents want players on their books who are Scottish League 1 standard - they won't make them any money.   

Hopefully when we get out of this league we'll see more influence from the likes of Mellor on recruitment.  

I was excited initially with the involvement  of the Rawlins'.   But now I realise they are not going to make much of a difference to the club.  Their investment is peanuts in football terms (even at our level) and it seems their interest is only a vanity project to them, a minor hobby.   We cannot invest in better players as a result of their involvement, which is the only way we are going to get out of the quagmire of a league.  They might bring business experience to help run the club slightly better, but that's about it.  Two hundred odd grand would buy you half of Will Vaulks left foot these days.   This is not to attack the Rawlins', any investment in the club is very welcome, I just should have been more realistic with my expectations.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Any agent will try to get the individual to a club playing at as high a level as possible. He does his job on behalf of the player and a bigger payday for the agent.

Falkirk at the level they are at will not even be considered.

Any signing will will have nothing to do with Rawlins or his associates.

So why buy shares in Falkirk? 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Will be interesting to see how we do tomorrow night. 

Trying to be positive I do think we'd have gone up each of the last two seasons (even with the dross we had) if the style of play had been better.  If Sheerin can get us playing to feet and passing more quickly then it shouldn't be difficult to cause all teams in this league problems.  

I agree recruitment has been poor but hoping that the likes of McGuffie, Ross and Nesbitt turn out better than everyone is fearing.  

I get that folk want us competitive in the League Cup but I'd rather Sheerin used the time to fully assess the squad and make sure the last 4-6 players coming in are the standard we need.  It has to be a good sign that we haven't signed Wilson or Robertson yet.  

Sadly I fear a Wilson or Robertson  might not be that far away. Your hoping that both of them have a stinker if they feature against Arbroath. Probably still won't put off Holt though. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
52 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I was excited initially with the involvement  of the Rawlins'.   But now I realise they are not going to make much of a difference to the club.  Their investment is peanuts in football terms (even at our level) and it seems their interest is only a vanity project to them, a minor hobby.   We cannot invest in better players as a result of their involvement, which is the only way we are going to get out of the quagmire of a league.  They might bring business experience to help run the club slightly better, but that's about it.  Two hundred odd grand would buy you half of Will Vaulks left foot these days.   This is not to attack the Rawlins', any investment in the club is very welcome, I just should have been more realistic with my expectations.

I think we were all given the big sell about the Rawlins. I’m always a little sceptical when outside investors want to buy in to the club but was optimistic about them. They still may do  good for the club but I tend to judge things on face value and like I say it’s not been great so far. 

When they tell you there are 19 new first time shareholders and you discover that includes the two of them, Gary Mellor, 3 of the board, 1 of their relatives and one of their friends then it’s not convincing. Also of the 400,000 shares bought, just under 250,000 were bought by these folk plus the club secretary. That’s just the stuff that’s publicly available. If they’re trying to mislead us with that then what else? 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Agree with this to an extent.  I doubt many agents want players on their books who are Scottish League 1 standard - they won't make them any money.   

Hopefully when we get out of this league we'll see more influence from the likes of Mellor on recruitment.  

How many Falkirk players do you think don't have an agent? 

9 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

How many Falkirk players do you think don't have an agent? 

Probably about 50% but I'm not saying league 1 players don't have agents, I'm saying agents (especially those based in Stoke) don't ideally want that standard of player on their books.  

I'd guess most English based agents will seek to cater for the english leagues and conference, most of which is above our standard.  

I hope Mellor does end up serving some purpose but I suspect he's likely to have more influence when/if we get up.  The worry until then is that we're relying on Holt.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

Does anyone know who Allan Fraser is?  Linked in have him as Falkirk chief scout:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/allan-fraser-3b2b6a17/?originalSubdomain=uk

Only other info I can find about him online is that he seems to be from Falkirk and has been a scout with Huddersfield and also worked for Ross Wilson while at Southampton.  

This might be old news I just don't recognise his name.  

1 hour ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

We don't need a higher playing budget to get out of this league at all in my opinion, we need some sort of tactic that starts getting anything out of the players we actually have. The teams promoted in recent years didn't have a much better squad than we did, they just resembled a football team.

47 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Does anyone know who Allan Fraser is?  Linked in have him as Falkirk chief scout:  https://www.linkedin.com/in/allan-fraser-3b2b6a17/?originalSubdomain=uk

Only other info I can find about him online is that he seems to be from Falkirk and has been a scout with Huddersfield and also worked for Ross Wilson while at Southampton.  

This might be old news I just don't recognise his name.  

Fitsie has been a scout for us before. Also scouted for clubs like Ipswich and Huddersfield 

Edited by Back Post Misses

55 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Probably about 50% but I'm not saying league 1 players don't have agents, I'm saying agents (especially those based in Stoke) don't ideally want that standard of player on their books.  

I'd guess most English based agents will seek to cater for the english leagues and conference, most of which is above our standard.  

I hope Mellor does end up serving some purpose but I suspect he's likely to have more influence when/if we get up.  The worry until then is that we're relying on Holt.  

It think you will find they all will have on except possibly the young lad Sneddon