The Falkirk FC Thread

20 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If we'd managed to keep McManus and we'd been promoted, would you have punted him at that point?

No because he still has something to offer at championship level he just won't get you a lot of goals.   He runs his arse off though and is happy to come back into midfield and get the ball  and close down opponents etc. He'll graft for 90 mins. However, we'd needed  to have  got someone to play in the side and get the goals  for us that's for sure.

26 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

My guess is that we aren't in the financial position to put loanees (or signings?) up in accomodation just now, which means anyone we bring in will be from the Scottish market. I'd also guess that won't change until we're back in the Championship and/or attendances are back to normal. 

And yes, I know that's an opening for someone to point out that we apparently turned down some money recently. Not going to argue as I would probably have supported the investment but please lets not go back there again. It's been done to death. 

Surely accommodation would’ve been provided for Francis last season?

At the end of the day we need to find at least one striker that is going to get enough goals for us this season for us to win the league. Now I don't really care if he's done it before or not  it just has to happen.   The longer things go on the less confident you feel about getting one but it has to be done or we're going to be stuck in this feckin league for another bloody season.

20 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

At the end of the day we need to find at least one striker that is going to get enough goals for us this season for us to win the league. Now I don't really care if he's done it before or not  it just has to happen.   The longer things go on the less confident you feel about getting one but it has to be done or we're going to be stuck in this feckin league for another bloody season.

The problem is we look short of quality all over the pitch as it stands. Unless more come in soon, we’re looking at starting the season with Hall at centre half, Miller and Ross in midfield and Dowds up front.

Even in wide areas I’ll be surprised if Nesbitt and McGuffie are more than average. 

I may well be proved wrong but I’m not impressed with Holt’s recruitment so far.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

So, no knicker wetting consensus this year. Everyone in agreement that right now, today, the playing squad is a genuine worry, and there’s nothing in the rumour mill that says “ calm down, it’s all going to work out just fine”.

So far, McCann seems to be the one convincing signing, with maybe one or two more that most are happy with. If 5th in the 3rd division isn’t actually us hitting rock bottom, then some rough days lie in wait.

You have to wonder if Sheerin and Grainger knew what they were getting into.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No because he still has something to offer at championship level he just won't get you a lot of goals.   He runs his arse off though and is happy to come back into midfield and get the ball  and close down opponents etc. He'll graft for 90 mins. However, we'd needed  to have  got someone to play in the side and get the goals  for us that's for sure.

Yet he was second top scorer in the Championship last season which just illustrates the difficulty at the moment in getting a proven goal scorer anywhere near L3.

Strange to think that Will Vaulks is now worth more than our entire club and everything in it a few times over.  My brother took these photos from the South Stand. Can't remember exactly which season it was, judging by the gold lettering on our strip this would have been the cup final against Inverness season? . The white team is Queen of the South, don't know about the red team. 

photos.jpg

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

2 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

So, no knicker wetting consensus this year. Everyone in agreement that right now, today, the playing squad is a genuine worry, and there’s nothing in the rumour mill that says “ calm down, it’s all going to work out just fine”.

So far, McCann seems to be the one convincing signing, with maybe one or two more that most are happy with. If 5th in the 3rd division isn’t actually us hitting rock bottom, then some rough days lie in wait.

You have to wonder if Sheerin and Grainger knew what they were getting into.

If they didn't they will be getting a bit of an inkling now, you'd hope Sheerin isn't naive enough to think this squad is anywhere near good enough...

Where is the Gary Mellor influence? 
Agent based in Stoke, invests with the Rawlins and so far on the surface nothing. You have to think that down the line the real plan is going to come out. It certainly isn’t to bumble along in Division 3 for sure. 

21 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Agent based in Stoke, invests with the Rawlins and so far on the surface nothing. You have to think that down the line the real plan is going to come out. It certainly isn’t to bumble along in Division 3 for sure. 

This.

There is a saying "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is".

We just have to hope that in our case "If something seems too bad to be true, it can't f*cking possibly be".

Expect the unexpected.

9 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I'm talking about him in  league one here though not the championship it's a big difference. You only have to look at McManus stats to see the difference in levels.  Just look at Mitch megginson.   2 goals in 37 for Raith and alloa in the champ. 4 in 40 for dumbarton  the season before in the championship. His record below the championship like mcmanus though is outstanding.  It's all about levels.

As far as I'm aware Megginson was used as a wide player in the Championship, he certainly was at Dumbarton and he finished our top scorer one season with about 12 goals. He can easily cut it in the Championship and will score goals if played as a striker. 

Guest Caractacus Potts
3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Good question. I had a look at his agency and it’s not exactly a who’s who of football(Rhys Bennett one of the few I recognised) but you’d have hoped to get some benefit from his connection. Thought that was one of the main points of accepting their investment?

They have to start delivering instead of feeding us with empty sales rhetoric. As I said before when you start digging in to some of their claims you realise things aren’t quite how they’re being presented. 

Recruitment is the key to everything and so far it looks like we’re being found wanting. 

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

TBF if you were a player plying your trade in England and had ability to have a decent career, Falkirk ain't gonna be your next move unless you are paying similar Welsh coin Declan McManus is getting.

A quick Google search of 2-3mins will scare you.

We need to be out this league before anything changes soon

It's Godorov to you lot and there's a big difference in playing in a league where 80% of the teams are full time to playing in a league where 20% of the teams are full time.  Of course a striker will score more goals as he drops down a level.  Fuck me.

I reckon within 5 years there will be a two tier set-up in Scotland - Professional and Semi-Professional. Two leagues of full time teams, 12 and 14 in each - Colt sides making up the numbers. No pyramid. Bottom two leagues of part-time sides. 

2 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

I reckon within 5 years there will be a two tier set-up in Scotland - Professional and Semi-Professional. Two leagues of full time teams, 12 and 14 in each - Colt sides making up the numbers. No pyramid. Bottom two leagues of part-time sides. 

That would be the point at which I pack it in (if the current shambles doesn't make me).

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Any agent will try to get the individual to a club playing at as high a level as possible. He does his job on behalf of the player and a bigger payday for the agent.

Falkirk at the level they are at will not even be considered.

Any signing will will have nothing to do with Rawlins or his associates.